Rumor: Beaulieu to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Ryan Strome for Beaulieu makes a lot of sense to me. Both guys have had good and bad moments. Both have struggled to move up the depth chart. Both could probably use a change of scenery.

Personally i'd be fine with that. I'm not a big Strome fan but the Habs need some upside depth at C and Strome , even though he struggled the last couple of years , is pretty much that. On D we have Sergachev and Juulsen in the pipeline so the loss of Beaulieu won't matter much long term imho

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
If we trade Beau that would leave us with only 1 elite skating d-man in Petry. That's not good at all, hopefully Serg can make the team.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's 14m coming back the Habs way. Unless MB has another trade to free cap space this is , fortunately , never going to happen.

Holy cows Stepan is paid 6.5. I don't dislike the guy but at this price i would expect more than a bunch of 50 points seasons. Yeah i know he was on pace for more than 50 points a couple of times but on pace is what it is. If you're always injured and when you are not you do 50 points then you're not worth that much money.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
someone else was saying Tyler Johnson could be had from Tampa as well

I like Johnson and want him on the Habs. But if you're Tampa you are protecting Hedman and Stralman 100%. However you wouldn't protect Nate over Coburn or Garrison, would you? Maybe, salary is an issue.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Aside from skating...there's no redeeming quality to Beaulieu's game.

He's the same player today, that I saw make his debut in 2012.

Virtually no progression in his game...

Jul 6, 2016
If we trade Beau that would leave us with only 1 elite skatibg d-man in Petry. That's not good at all, hopefully Serg can make the team.

Don't forget Jerebek... And any other players that could be acquired over the Summer.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I like Johnson and want him on the Habs. But if you're Tampa you are protecting Hedman and Stralman 100%. However you wouldn't protect Nate over Coburn or Garrison, would you? Maybe, salary is an issue.

Hum did you watch Coburn plays lately? It's not 2007-2011 anymore.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think he's traded for picks. It doesn't make sense. A playoff team trading a regular player that doesn't make much money for a draft pick is counterintuitive. He'll be traded for a forward that needs a change of scenery.

Don't be surprised if it's Henrique from NJ. A centre that is redundant on their team. They need defencemen badly.

Why not?

I'd trade him for draft picks...Habs need as much ammo as possible to address more pressing needs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
someone else was saying Tyler Johnson could be had from Tampa as well

Reason why Johnson might be available is due to salary cap. Tampa has $19.5M in cap space with a 14 man roster size ($75M +/-) Salary cap. Think about what the next contracts will look like with Johnson, Drouin, Palat alone. I would have to say each of these guys get at least $4.5M. that's $13.5M (+/-) taken away from their $19.5M cap space leaving them with $6M for 8 players. Not the end of the world but it won't be easy to fit everybody in or make improvements on their roster. And doesn't factor in if any of TJ, JD, and OJ ask for more than $4.5M!

Tampa will be trading Johnson or Palat more than likely. I'd be interested in Beaulieu, 2nd, Fucale for Johnson type trade.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Aside from skating...there's no redeeming quality to Beaulieu's game.

He's the same player today, that I saw make his debut in 2012.

Virtually no progression in his game...

It is quite worrying that the organization hasn't been able to develop defenseman. Outside of Subban, Emelin and Beaulieu we haven't drafted or developed any defenseman in recent time that contributed to the team

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I dont get what this has to do with Weber.

Nate is a talented hockey player, with little drive to get better. Its fairly evident when you watch him play.

Weber has the ability to inspire drive and motivation in his teammates by merely staring at them. This is pretty common knowledge honestly.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Holy cows Stepan is paid 6.5. I don't dislike the guy but at this price i would expect more than a bunch of 50 points seasons. Yeah i know he was on pace for more than 50 points a couple of times but on pace is what it is. If you're always injured and when you are not you do 50 points then you're not worth that much money.

Stepan is pretty much a more often injured version of Plekanec. And even then he never had 2 70pts season like Pleky did

Personally i'm not interested in the guy. He's not a bad player per say but certainly not a guy that can carry a whole offense. And at 6.5m it's easy pass

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It is quite worrying that the organization hasn't been able to develop defenseman. Outside of Subban, Emelin and Beaulieu we haven't drafted or developed any defenseman in recent time that contributed to the team

For me...Beaulieu is a just a player whose abilities topped out as a junior aged player.

It doesn't mean he can't be a good player in the NHL, I think he is...

But he is today, what he'll always be.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nothing against the OP, but...

That's Speculation at best, no? Not a Rumor... unless I missed something.
It's just someone tweeting something.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Were going to get nothing for him.

You might as well just keep him rather than get what were going to get for him.

It's not how this team works. TB works like that. They had trouble with Drouin. They sent him in the AHL and tried to trade him. They did not like the offers so they brought him back next season and gave him quality ice time. Ottawa did that with Yashin too. They waited as long as they did not receive fair value.

We are not working rationally like this. When we identify a players as part of the problem (cancer) he is gone. Even if the offers are ridiculous he is gone. We prefer to trade a player for next to night (Carbo for M Burns, Roy for scraps) than keep him around until his value is fair.

Beaulieu and AG are likely gone. And the return will likely be ****. I don't expect this management to keep them around for another year and give them quality ice time while waiting to trade them when their value is higher.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Sorry, but I don't think this even qualifies as a rumour. Engels is just tweeting what he thinks will happen, but without any sign at all that there is even any talk about such a trade.

I assume that Engels is speculating that Beaulieu will get traded is because the Habs are afraid he will get claimed by Vegas. Fair enough, but there are quite a few teams who are worried about losing their #4D for nothing and Beaulieu is at least a couple steps down from the top of that list of players.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
For me...Beaulieu is a just a player whose abilities topped out as a junior aged player.

Playing with some dominant Sea Dogs teams may have projected a sense that Beaulieu had more growth in him then he did. Like you said Beaulieu can be a good NHLer but at the same time after 3 full seasons he is what he is.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't think he's traded for picks. It doesn't make sense. A playoff team trading a regular player that doesn't make much money for a draft pick is counterintuitive. He'll be traded for a forward that needs a change of scenery.

Don't be surprised if it's Henrique from NJ. A centre that is redundant on their team. They need defencemen badly.

Isn't it what we always do? Put our kids to the ground till they have as little value as possible?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Agree. That's why he's gone because of his future contract. He will want a 3-5 years long contract with something like 3M per. That's too much.

Davidson (if he's still there after expansion), Sergachev and Jerabek can take his place for a lot less cap space.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
It's not how this team works. TB works like that. They had trouble with Drouin. They sent him in the AHL and tried to trade him. They did not like the offers so they brought him back next season and gave him quality ice time. Ottawa did that with Yashin too. They waited as long as they did not receive fair value.

We are not working rationally like this. When we identify a players as part of the problem (cancer) he is gone. Even if the offers are ridiculous he is gone. We prefer to trade a player for next to night (Carbo for M Burns, Roy for scraps) than keep him around until his value is fair.

Beaulieu and AG are likely gone. And the return will likely be ****. I don't expect this management to keep them around for another year and give them quality ice time while waiting to trade them when their value is higher.

100%.

Yet another reason this franchise hasn't been contenders for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad