Online Series: Beatles : Get Back

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I'm just glad someone got around to doing a documentary on this long forgotten band. Maybe that'll spur some interest and they'll re-release some of their old material.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I enjoyed it for the most part, but it could have been a lot shorter. Two hours pre-concert and an hour for the finale. There was too much filler and undecipherable conversations.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Only watched part 1 so far but I can’t believe 1) John brought his girlfriend to rehearse and had her sit right next to everyone and 2) that the rest of the band let it happen. That sounds so annoying

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Only watched part 1 so far but I can’t believe 1) John brought his girlfriend to rehearse and had her sit right next to everyone and 2) that the rest of the band let it happen. That sounds so annoying

Wait until you see the parts where Paul brings Linda and her daugther and see how the little girl plays around with all of them while their practicing songs. If Yoko's presence bothered you then I imagine you should be really bothered later. These guys were getting in the 'family way' so-to-speak, and they wanted these people special to them to be there with them. The opinions of us watching this doesn't mean a hill of beans, to use that old saying. They were The Beatles and if that's what they wanted then no one was going to tell them they couldn't have it that way. But man, it was completely obvious that Paul, at least, was totally a family man already, and John and Yoko were just totally dedicated to each other.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Wait until you see the parts where Paul brings Linda and her daugther and see how the little girl plays around with all of them while their practicing songs. If Yoko's presence bothered you then I imagine you should be really bothered later. These guys were getting in the 'family way' so-to-speak, and they wanted these people special to them to be there with them. The opinions of us watching this doesn't mean a hill of beans, to use that old saying. They were The Beatles and if that's what they wanted then no one was going to tell them they couldn't have it that way. But man, it was completely obvious that Paul, at least, was totally a family man already, and John and Yoko were just totally dedicated to each other.

If it was my buddy doing that we would’ve asked him to have his girlfriend stay home.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
If it was my buddy doing that we would’ve asked him to have his girlfriend stay home.

I imagine that might have been requested at the beginning, but I also imagine that John said he wanted her there. So what's your next move? And as I said, in addition to there being no evidence in these videos that the rest of the group were really bothered, Paul also seemed to be equally happy to have Linda and her daughter around at times, so who are we to complain.

Last edited:

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
this footage i have been waiting for to be released for over 20 years. when i first saw bits and pieces of the rooftop concert and paul on piano playing let it be i wondered there must be tons of footage of the abbey road sessions. i've already watched the first 2 parts - just awesome!!!

i saw a couple on this thread making complaints - bunch of ingrates.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I imagine that might have been requested at the beginning, but I also imagine that John said he wanted her there. So what's your next move? And as I said, in addition to there being no evidence in these videos that the rest of the group were really bothered, Paul also seemed to be equally happy to have Linda and her daughter around at times, so who are we to complain.

It’s just a guy-code kind of thing. The stakes were high when they were in that rehearsal space and I know for sure I wouldn’t want my buddy’s girlfriend sitting 4 feet away from me when I’m trying to work.

Disagree if you want, I thought it was super weak of Lennon there. He should’ve known better. And then there’s that time they all got to play with Chuck Berry and Yoko, for some
God forsaken reason, was able to play with them. Lennon simped out, IMO.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
It’s just a guy-code kind of thing. The stakes were high when they were in that rehearsal space and I know for sure I wouldn’t want my buddy’s girlfriend sitting 4 feet away from me when I’m trying to work.

Disagree if you want, I thought it was super weak of Lennon there. He should’ve known better. And then there’s that time they all got to play with Chuck Berry and Yoko, for some God forsaken reason, was able to play with them. Lennon simped out, IMO.

I respect your point, but I question this idea you have of applying some sort of a "guy-code" to John Lennon's perspectives on life.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I respect your point, but I question this idea you have of applying some sort of a "guy-code" to John Lennon's perspectives on life.

It was shocking to see her sitting right next to everyone while they were in crunch time is all.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
It was shocking to see her sitting right next to everyone while they were in crunch time is all.

Oh, I understand, totally. I just don't think it's our position to judge. And from watching these videos, I haven't seen evidence that it had any real negative effect. Perhaps certainly at the beginning it would've taken some getting use to, but with her over all silence she just became like part of the furniture I think. Linda's daughter, when she got added into the mix, was much more potentially disruptive, but even that doesn't really seem to have bothered anyone,... again, other than us as viewers of what had been going on. As you say, it's been disturbing for many people to see. I just take the perspective that if it doesn't seem to have been disturbing to them then it's none of my business and it's not for me to be bothered by it either.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
did john simp out when he jammed with chuck berry and also had her alongside him during the sessions? perhaps. is he to be faulted for being p-whipped? he's a guy for christ sake.

based on the first 2 parts of the movie it seems the band got along just fine with yoko. if they weren't then why paul sit behind the drums and jam along with yoko cackling on vox?

a lot may have happened once the cameras were off until the point of of the band breaking up. did yoko chime in with her thoughts when they were writing songs? we won't know. and if she did, at this point who cares? it's all done with.

Reactions: MoreOrr

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Disagree if you want, I thought it was super weak of Lennon there. He should’ve known better. And then there’s that time they all got to play with Chuck Berry and Yoko, for some
God forsaken reason, was able to play with them. Lennon simped out, IMO.
Oh, I understand, totally. I just don't think it's our position to judge. And from watching these videos, I haven't seen evidence that it had any real negative effect. Perhaps certainly at the beginning it would've taken some getting use to, but with her over all silence she just became like part of the furniture I think. Linda's daughter, when she got added into the mix, was much more potentially disruptive, but even that doesn't really seem to have bothered anyone,... again, other than us as viewers of what had been going on. As you say, it's been disturbing for many people to see. I just take the perspective that if it doesn't seem to have been disturbing to them then it's none of my business and it's not for me to be bothered by it either.
They sort of addressed this in the documentary, implying that for John Lennon, The Beatles come second to Yoko Ono-- he was upfront about this and everyone was aware of this. If it's a problem for the band, then he'd just quit, and that seems perfectly fair, if you ask me-- nobody owes anything to anyone. That said, it didn't seem like anyone actively DID have a problem with it. Seemingly, there was no sign of anything remotely disruptive until a guilt-ridden McCartney needed a convenient deflection in front of cameras.

Even ignoring the situation, this notion of "simping" and being "p-whipped" just seems silly and childish to me in general (similar to "snitches get stitches", it really just feels like widely accepted propaganda designed to checkmate someone into always going along with what a certain side benefits from, to me). People should really just prioritize whatever they personally value more, without a care for such meaningless conventions.

If anything, to be a bit harsh (this isn't directed at you, just in general I mean), I'd be more likely to view a guy as pathetically insecure and "c-slapped" for doing (or refraining from doing) something for the sake of appeasing some imaginary guy code. It's weak to care so much about appearing weak, IMO.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They sort of addressed this in the documentary, implying that for John Lennon, The Beatles come second to Yoko Ono-- he was upfront about this and everyone was aware of this. If it's a problem for the band, then he'd just quit, and that seems perfectly fair, if you ask me-- nobody owes anything to anyone. That said, it didn't seem like anyone actively DID have a problem with it. Seemingly, there was no sign of anything remotely disruptive until a guilt-ridden McCartney needed a convenient deflection in front of cameras.

This notion of "simping" and being "p-whipped" just seems silly and childish to me in general (similar to "snitches get stitches", it really just feels like widely accepted propaganda designed to checkmate someone into always benefiting a certain side, to me). People should really just prioritize whatever they personally and ACTUALLY value more, without a care for such meaningless conventions.

If anything, to be a bit harsh, I'd be more likely to view a guy as pathetically insecure and "c-slapped" for doing (or refraining from doing) something for the sake of appeasing some imaginary guy code. It's weak to care so much about what makes you look weak, IMO.

Sure, if you want to pretend that there wasn't any Yoko-related tension between the band.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sure, if you want to pretend that there wasn't any Yoko-related tension between the band.
I am personally suspicious of that (we can't really know for sure either way), but even if there was, the onus is still on the people who have a problem with it to bring it up and be okay with the fact that the band would disband as a result of their lack of acceptance of these conditions.

The onus isn't on a person to go "Oh, even if I care more about A than B, I should still suck it up and do everything for the good of B anyways out of respect for the bro code." B gets precedence? Says who? Seems like a lot of nonsense, to me.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I just don't understand why you would even want someone in the studio who isn't there to make music lol. Obviously I'm no member of The Beatles but when I'm making music I don't invite people to come hang around unless we are collaborating. I focus on the task at hand.

John was probably mentally checked out of the band at this point.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just don't understand why you would even want someone in the studio who isn't there to make music lol. Obviously I'm no member of The Beatles but when I'm making music I don't invite people to come hang around unless we are collaborating. I focus on the task at hand.

John was probably mentally checked out of the band at this point.
Yeah, it seemed like he came into project with two really great songs basically completed, and then just coasted the whole time in the studio while it seemed like McCartney came up with half a dozen on the spot throughout the course of the documentary.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Well, I finally finished it. In general, I think the best part of it all was just getting to see them in this truly raw way. Some have complained that it was too long, and though I'll agree that it became much less dramatic after Part 1, I think that watching much of what could be called the nitty-gritty stuff served to give us more of a complete picture of the interactions and attitudes of each one of them. But yes, the only real drama was in the Part 1, which ultimately gave me a false impression about what I imagined would come. All in all, an interesting, informative, and quite personal view of these 4 famous musicians. Oh, and damn, Paul had become a dominant force, and what a talent beyond what I had even imagined.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Would be great if they had the same sort of archives for the Abbey Road album, which they started to work on not long after this.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

That’s just for laughs

I think Yoko gets too much blame for “tearing up the band” when the main contributing factor was that Lennon was just a terrible person at his core.

Well, I obviously don't agree with most of what is said in the video (not being a misoginystic ignoramus), but I went to see the original video to see how true that Chuck Berry reaction was, and well... yeah, absolutely hilarious. Maybe even funnier that the sound guy cuts off Yoko's mic later on and she still tries to use it (and seems to think it's on).

I still like Yoko. :)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Honestly hilarious to think Paul got the initial blame for breaking up the Beatles and his first four albums got panned, including my personal GOAT album Ram, as a result. It's pretty clear in the doc Paul was not only the leader, but the only guy interested in keeping the group together.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

That’s just for laughs

I think Yoko gets too much blame for “tearing up the band” when the main contributing factor was that Lennon was just a terrible person at his core.

That I just cannot accept! Why is it that almost half the people who comment about The Beatles, and the women they chose to be with, seem to have to point out someone (one of them) as being some sort of villian? Of all the Rock n Roll personalities thru time, no way I would ever consider John Lennon as one of the "terrible" people among them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well, I finally finished it. In general, I think the best part of it all was just getting to see them in this truly raw way. Some have complained that it was too long, and though I'll agree that it became much less dramatic after Part 1, I think that watching much of what could be called the nitty-gritty stuff served to give us more of a complete picture of the interactions and attitudes of each one of them. But yes, the only real drama was in the Part 1, which ultimately gave me a false impression about what I imagined would come. All in all, an interesting, informative, and quite personal view of these 4 famous musicians. Oh, and damn, Paul had become a dominant force, and what a talent beyond what I had even imagined.

It could’ve been 10 hours longer and I still would’ve loved it. Watching these guys doing just about anything musically is a blessing. Peter Jackson did a great job.

That I just cannot accept! Why is it that almost half the people who comment about The Beatles, and the women they chose to be with, seem to have to point out someone (one of them) as being some sort of villian? Of all the Rock n Roll personalities thru time, no way I would ever consider John Lennon as one of the "terrible" people among them.

He was by many accounts a POS person. It doesn’t take away from his talents or how I love his music but he had many character flaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad