Online Series: Beatles : Get Back

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I've only watched the first half of the episode, but... what the crap is Yoko doing there all the time? At some point, she's checking her mail while the Fab4 are working on songs... I mean, I have a ton of respect for her as an artist (and absolutely alone here to include her stuff when we were doing the yearly top-albums), but what a parasite...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That scene where Paul McCartney
seemingly comes up with Get Back out of thin air just from a few strums while they're waiting for Lennon to show up (and it basically has its shape when he arrives)
is pretty damn cool to see unfold.

I also did not expect the entire thing to just be pure fly-on-the-wall style, and it's really cool.

Last edited:

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
The dude wielding the hammer was like a kid in a candy store because he got to play with the Beatles hold a hammer.

I found it interesting to learn that a few of their solo songs were originally composed while the Beatles were still together. Jealous Guy with those lyrics sounded so different.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The dude wielding the hammer was like a kid in a candy store because he got to play with the Beatles hold a hammer.

I found it interesting to learn that a few of their solo songs were originally composed while the Beatles were still together. Jealous Guy with those lyrics sounded so different.
That one's all the way back from the early White Album period.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
It's shocking to me how insecure George Harrison is about his guitar playing. By this point in the bands history he rips.

it was his personality. Being in a band with two geniuses would cause most great guitar players to question their ability

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That scene where Paul McCartney
seemingly comes up with Get Back out of thin air just from a few strums while they're waiting for Lennon to show up (and it basically has its shape when he arrives)
is pretty damn cool to see unfold.

I also did not expect the entire thing to just be pure fly-on-the-wall style, and it's really cool.

Same here, it was just neat watching them jam.

And they didn't even need any special theatrics for the end. Harrison's body language was so evident. Crazy to think that was real.

Also a lot longer than I thought. Only seen the first part. Will watch the second when I get dedicate the time.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I watched the second episode and the cafeteria conversation was easily the highlight for me. Really gave you a great and intimate/personable insight into their dynamic and why George was feeling insecure in the first place, but on top of that, they
secretly bugged a flower pot in order to overhear the private conversation? Huh? Anybody have more information about that decision and how they reacted when they found out? Was that conversation publicly available before this documentary?
Really surreal and fascinating stuff.

Also, maybe this is the Lennon bias in me speaking, but from the way it was portrayed and from all the bits and pieces I've heard previously, it really feels like the turmoil between the group was primarily from McCartney being a control freak (maybe understandably so given that there was no drill-sergeant figure anymore), and his guilt maybe just made him unfairly deflect blame towards Yoko Ono, who it never seemed like anybody else ever had a problem with (nor did it seem like she was hurting the vibe at all throughout any of it).

Still very skeptical about that whole blame Yoko narrative, which the entire world seemed to fully buy into. I did get a good chuckle over how they used her shrieking to highlight the chaos after Harrison left though.

That said, McCartney's productivity compared to Lennon was insane in this. Seemed like every day, he came up with an idea for new song or two.

Also, interesting to see that they seemed to have enough strong material to make a great and complete album, but for whatever reason focused on some of their weaker material instead. They had the meat of the tracks All Things Must Pass, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, Child of Nature, Let it Down, Sun King, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, and Mean Mr. Mustard ready to iron out, only to work on Dig It, Dig a Pony, Maggie Mae, and One After 909 instead?

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
nor did it seem like she was hurting the vibe at all throughout any of it

Really? I mean, she ain't doing nothing wrong, but having her there constantly glued to John sure must have affect the original vibe. But yeah, Paul sounds like a guy that's super jealous and who tries to act it cool.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Really? I mean, she ain't doing nothing wrong, but having her there constantly glued to John sure must have affect the original vibe. But yeah, Paul sounds like a guy that's super jealous and who tries to act it cool.
It's certainly a bizarre/eccentric circumstance that must be a different vibe, but she didn't seem like a negative presence that anyone else (or even McCartney up until that point) seemed actively bothered/disrupted by, was my point. Things don't need to be the same as they always were to carry on harmoniously.

I don't think McCartney sounded jealous (was that sarcasm?), but when he was telling the other crew what happened at their private meeting, to me it kind of reeked of "everyone was complaining about me, but I don't want this to seem like it's all my fault in public, so would you get a load of the stunt Yoko's pulling?" to me. Felt like a very sudden and convenient deflection/image-conscious self-preservation thing (which seems very in his character), but that's all wild speculation-- Who knows.

Also, I don't have exhaustive Beatles lore knowledge, but despite the Yoko thing being put out there for so long, I don't think I've ever heard Harrison or Ringo corroborate McCartney's beef, have they? Everything I've heard Harrison say about her has been positive, and he seems like a particularly say-what's-on-his-mind-and-pull-no-punches kind of person.

To me it felt like the primary reasons they broke up, in order of significance, was 1) McCartney being domineering, 2) Harrison feeling not taken seriously by the other two, and 3) Lennon giving up on asserting himself in the group. It never seemed like Yoko drove a wedge between them.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
In my opinion, it was terrible.

There is no bigger Beatles fan than I, but I found myself bored to death from the rehashing of information I already knew which was reframed by absolutely mundane conversations taking place around a drum kit in a warehouse.

I found it as compelling as watching paint dry, or watching two librarians discuss the merits of the Dewey Decimal System. I think history will judge this as a money grab by the producers who exercised poor judgement in using footage that was originally left on the cutting room floor back in the late 1960s. There's a reason it stayed on the cutting room floor; the footage was crap.

The only new information and value I got from this train wreck was that McCartney showed far more respect to Yoko than I had preciously known. That storyline, however, could have been told in six minutes, not six torturous hours.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In my opinion, it was terrible.

There is no bigger Beatles fan than I, but I found myself bored to death from the rehashing of information I already knew which was reframed by absolutely mundane conversations taking place around a drum kit in a warehouse.

I found it as compelling as watching paint dry, or watching two librarians discuss the merits of the Dewey Decimal System. I think history will judge this as a money grab by the producers who exercised poor judgement in using footage that was originally left on the cutting room floor back in the late 1960s. There's a reason it stayed on the cutting room floor; the footage was crap.

The only new information and value I got from this train wreck was that McCartney showed far more respect to Yoko than I had preciously known. That storyline, however, could have been told in six minutes, not six torturous hours.
While I liked the style of the delivery, I do agree that it probably could have been edited down, and the exhaustiveness struck me as a very Peter Jackson thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
It's certainly a bizarre/eccentric circumstance that must be a different vibe, but she didn't seem like a negative presence that anyone else (or even McCartney up until that point) seemed actively bothered/disrupted by, was my point. Things don't need to be the same as they always were to carry on harmoniously.

I don't think McCartney sounded jealous (was that sarcasm?), but when he was telling the other crew what happened at their private meeting, to me it kind of reeked of "everyone was complaining about me, but I don't want this to seem like it's all my fault in public, so would you get a load of the stunt Yoko's pulling?" to me. Felt like a very sudden and convenient deflection/image-conscious self-preservation thing (which seems very in his character), but that's all wild speculation-- Who knows.

Also, I don't have exhaustive Beatles lore knowledge, but despite the Yoko thing being put out there for so long, I don't think I've ever heard Harrison or Ringo corroborate McCartney's beef, have they? Everything I've heard Harrison say about her has been positive, and he seems like a particularly say-what's-on-his-mind-and-pull-no-punches kind of person.

To me it felt like the primary reasons they broke up was 1) McCartney being domineering, 2) Harrison feeling not taken seriously by the other two, and 3) Lennon giving up on asserting himself in the group. It never seemed like Yoko drove a wedge between them.

It wasn't sarcasm, and I don't think he was saying "have you seen the crap she's pulling" (unless you're speaking of another part I haven't seen yet - I'm not done with E2 yet) - he was mainly saying Yoko was saying stuff that he didn't think John really meant, and I was under the impression that it was positive stuff. But right there, the whole, "you know, now if you gave him the choice between Yoko and the Beatles, he'd go with Yoko" and "It's his right" stuff, to me, sounded tainted with bitterness and repressed jealousy.

I thought it was well known that Harrison didn't like Yoko. Ringo was the only really cool dude in that group.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It wasn't sarcasm, and I don't think he was saying "have you seen the crap she's pulling" (unless you're speaking of another part I haven't seen yet - I'm not done with E2 yet) - he was mainly saying Yoko was saying stuff that he didn't think John really meant, and I was under the impression that it was positive stuff. But right there, the whole, "you know, now if you gave him the choice between Yoko and the Beatles, he'd go with Yoko" and "It's his right" stuff, to me, sounded tainted with bitterness and repressed jealousy.

I thought it was well known that Harrison didn't like Yoko. Ringo was the only really cool dude in that group.
I can see bitterness, but jealousy of what, though?

I don't know, that could well be the case, I'm just going off of the bits and pieces of exposure I've had. The only thing I can think of is that he hates Avant Garde music.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I can see bitterness, but jealousy of what, though?

I don't know, that could well be the case, I'm just going off of the bits and pieces of exposure I've had. The only thing I can think of is that he hates Avant Garde music.

Don't know, old couple reaction. Maybe I'm reading too much into it too, but he looked like he wanted to cry at some point.

Lennon: “And George, s***, insulted her right to her face in the Apple office at the beginning, just being ‘straight forward’ you know, that game of ‘well, I’m going to be upfront because this is what we’ve heard and Dylan and a few people said she’s got a lousy name in New York, and you gave off bad vibes.’ That’s what George said to her, and we both sat through it, and I didn’t hit him. I don’t know why.”

I think I've read a few anecdotes that related forms of disdain towards her.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Don't know, old couple reaction. Maybe I'm reading too much into it too, but he looked like he wanted to cry at some point.

Lennon: “And George, s***, insulted her right to her face in the Apple office at the beginning, just being ‘straight forward’ you know, that game of ‘well, I’m going to be upfront because this is what we’ve heard and Dylan and a few people said she’s got a lousy name in New York, and you gave off bad vibes.’ That’s what George said to her, and we both sat through it, and I didn’t hit him. I don’t know why.”

Interesting. Wasn't familiar.

I read that scene as him wanting to cry just due to the awful circumstance and some of the guilt he may have been feeling.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The Beatles made lovely music in some ugly British surroundings, did they not?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Billy. Preston.

That's it. That's the post. The moment it all came together.

McCartney summed it up perfectly. He pretty much said it's his (Lennon's) choice and we (The group) have to accept that. She just wants to be around him.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
I love the beatles so this is fantastic. Gets dull at some points but overall it's great. To be a fly on the wall during a Beatles writing and recording process is a gift for any musician.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad