Bears & NFL Talk LXV: Kraft's a John & Parkey is cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
One thing's for sure: if they're going all in on a guy like Kraft they better have dotted every i and crossed every t.

If they so much got out of bed wrong his lawyers will find out and bury them in lawsuits.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hold the f***ing phone... that scrub was a pro bowler?

And if he finds work quickly, the franchise that signs him is going to get utterly pilloried. Are the number of kickers really that limited?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bob Kraft ... the transformation from owner to pimp. "CHAMPIONSHIPS"

gettyimages-1130402971-594x594_1550854353776_74283973_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
The Bears should have released Parkey a long time ago, but I'm glad that they're doing it given how terrible he was last season

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Why are we releasing him? Let him come to camp and deal with the pressure. We're paying him regardless. He gets off too easy and makes even more money.

The handwriting was on the wall after he went on the NBC interview. Nagy wasn't too pleased with that but really the Wildcard game sealed his fate eventhough the kick was "tipped".

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
If the dude can stay healthy, he is one of the best guards in the NFL. Nagy loves his leadership qualities too. That's pleasantly surprising. He was mess for a while in college. He's matured in a great way. Good OLs are hard to find these days.

He is a warrior no doubt. This could potentially free up 3-5M in CAP to use on either Amos or Callahan. Amos may be a tad too pricey for my tastes.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He is a warrior no doubt. This could potentially free up 3-5M in CAP to use on either Amos or Callahan. Amos may be a tad too pricey for my tastes.
How much will Callahan go for? I've heard as high as $8mn per. That's just too much although that's the market price for high level slot corners. I'm hoping Callahan gives us a discount due to his injury history. Perhaps $6.5mn per? Slot corners are extremely important in the NFL.

Unless you are a playmaker like Eddie Jackson or Earl Thomas (they're almost like corners with the ground they cover), safeties aren't worth much. Look at how many safeties make it to the open market and don't get signed. Amos should be looking at close to $5mn per. I don't think he'll get much more. Maybe $15mn guaranteed for 3 years.

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
How much will Callahan go for? I've heard as high as $8mn per. That's just too much although that's the market price for high level slot corners. I'm hoping Callahan gives us a discount due to his injury history. Perhaps $6.5mn per? Slot corners are extremely important in the NFL.

Unless you are a playmaker like Eddie Jackson or Earl Thomas (they're almost like corners with the ground they cover), safeties aren't worth much. Look at how many safeties make it to the open market and don't get signed. Amos should be looking at close to $5mn per. I don't think he'll get much more. Maybe $15mn guaranteed for 3 years.

I read a tweet by some beat writer that since Amos graded out highly the last 2 years on PFF he thinks he can get elite safety money. He is great with run support in the box but he is not among the top 3 safeties in the NFL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I read a tweet by some beat writer that since Amos graded out highly the last 2 years on PFF he thinks he can get elite safety money. He is great with run support in the box but he is not among the top 3 safeties in the NFL.
Eric Reid just signed a 3 year $10mn guaranteed contract. It's pretty much for 2 years as the Panthers will not pay him $9.5mn in the 3rd year. That's the type of contract Amos should get. Of course, a crazy team might guarantee $20mn. It shouldn't be the Bears.

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Eric Reid just signed a 3 year $10mn guaranteed contract. It's pretty much for 2 years as the Panthers will not pay him $9.5mn in the 3rd year. That's the type of contract Amos should get. Of course, a crazy team might guarantee $20mn. It shouldn't be the Bears.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

I know all about PFF and understand it was Madden's basis for making Amos the highest rated Bears defender on their game. Amos was higher rated than Hicks!

I like PFF but they have some flaws in their data. They rated Trubisky as one of the worst most of the year. They can't properly evaluate a running QB. There are just too many moving parts. A mobile QB also skews the performance of the OL. Then you have a strong CBs letting safeties roam which enables them to grade much higher.

Because football has so many moving parts, it's not always easy to evaluate through analytics. Don't get me wrong, analytics are important ... but not the Bible when it comes to football.

Furthermore, PFF will be the first to tell you that box safeties are the least important position on defense next to the run stopping LB. They heavily discount the importance of the run in football.

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I know all about PFF and understand it was Madden's basis for making Amos the highest rated Bears defender on their game. Amos was higher rated than Hicks!

I like PFF but they have some flaws in their data. They rated Trubisky as one of the worst most of the year. They can't properly evaluate a running QB. There are just too many moving parts. A mobile QB also skews the performance of the OL. Then you have a strong CBs letting safeties roam which enables them to grade much higher.

Because football has so many moving parts, it's not always easy to evaluate through analytics. Don't get me wrong, analytics are important ... but not the Bible when it comes to football.

Furthermore, PFF will be the first to tell you that box safeties are the least important position on defense next to run stopping LBs. They heavily discount the importance of the run in football.

Well it's like sabremetrics for baseball isn' t it? Gone are the days when the eye test and standard BA/HR/RBI were the norm. It is all advanced analytics and each team has their own proprietary database system.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
There's a massive difference between advanced stats in baseball and football. The performance of players (especially offensively) in baseball is much easier to isolate. Football can be so hard to grade individual players because there are so many moving parts.

PFF grades are fun and all but I'd have a hard time believing NFL teams take them seriously.

MLB teams take analytics very seriously and while they may notuse public data, that's probably because they have even more robust internal versions.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Well it's like sabremetrics for baseball isn' t it? Gone are the days when the eye test and standard BA/HR/RBI were the norm. It is all advanced analytics and each team has their own proprietary database system.

Literally all PFF rankings are, are eye tests.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There's a massive difference between advanced stats in baseball and football. The performance of players (especially offensively) in baseball is much easier to isolate. Football can be so hard to grade individual players because there are so many moving parts.

PFF grades are fun and all but I'd have a hard time believing NFL teams take them seriously.

MLB teams take analytics very seriously and while they may notuse public data, that's probably because they have even more robust internal versions.
There are some good in the analytics of football. However, like you said, it's hard to isolate a player's performance. So you have to use your eyes for football too.

For example ... there is no doubt RBs are not as important in today's football as analytics suggest. That said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out Saquon Barkley impacts any game greatly. We just need to use our eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad