OT: Bears & NFL Talk 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
They could pick up his 5th year option they don’t have to extend him yet
His 5th year option will be >$23M. That's kinda what I'm getting at. Not only is Fields still (at best) a question mark. Poles is a few months away from having to decide whether he's paying Fields >$23M in 2025 without even knowing if he'll actually be on the roster. Deciding not to give him his 5th year option and keeping him on the roster is a no-go, because absolute best(?) case scenario, he balls out in 2024 and tells Poles to show him that $40-50M extension in 2025 or he's walking. Or Poles can tag him for close to $40M.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idionym

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
His 5th year option will be >$23M. That's kinda what I'm getting at. Not only is Fields still (at best) a question mark. Poles is a few months away from having to decide whether he's paying Fields >$23M in 2025 without even knowing if he'll actually be on the roster. Deciding not to give him his 5th year option and keeping him on the roster is a no-go, because absolute best(?) case scenario, he balls out in 2024 and tells Poles to show him that $40-50M extension in 2025 or he's walking. Or Poles can tag him for close to $40M.

Why is that a bad scenario... I get money for the whole roster points, but the fear of success is always baffling to me with this topic.

You should want the success and confidence you are paying to have a QB you know can win you games to be a regular playoff team. If, and I doubt it. If he preofmed that way and earned that deal... good.

I was saying before they should give him the 5th year option and still go QB with the Panthers pick. Let that qb sit and be ready.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Why is that a bad scenario... I get money for the whole roster points, but the fear of success is always baffling to me with this topic.

You should want the success and confidence you are paying to have a QB you know can win you games to be a regular playoff team. If, and I doubt it. If he preofmed that way and earned that deal... good.

I was saying before they should give him the 5th year option and still go QB with the Panthers pick. Let that qb sit and be ready.
If you're talking about the scenario where he doesn't get the 5th year option: because you're paying him a copious amount of money for one year of success. The Giants just did that with Daniel Jones. It immediately, as in a few weeks into the next season, became obvious that they had just shot themselves in the foot.

So either you're deciding off of no success to give him a 5th year option in a few months, or you're deciding not to and you're up against a wall in a year if he succeeds.

To be clear, this is assuming that they're sticking with Fields. If they draft a QB in the draft, I'm not married to the idea that they should jettison Fields regardless of trade offers. But I don't think Fields is going to want to stick around as a platoon QB in 2024.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I wonder about Williams height. It matters a lot if he's a legit 6-1 or if measures at 5-11 in the draft. See Bryce Young for reasons.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I wonder about Williams height. It matters a lot if he's a legit 6-1 or if measures at 5-11 in the draft. See Bryce Young for reasons.
There are pictures of Lincoln Riley next to Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Baker Mayfield and Caleb Williams, and pictures of Williams next to Stroud, Duggan and Bennett. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out if he's secretly Bennett/Murray sized.

Reactions: Idionym

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I'm dying on this hill, I prefer Justin Fields over Caleb Willimas.
I'm still in favor of passing on 'Fumblin' Caleb Williams and Drake May(b)e.
Once upon a time Justin Fields was an "amazing prospect." Not saying, Williams is not without talent, I'm saying his talent is being overrated. Throw in his smaller size and his fumbling issues, I am less than impressed with his video game numbers.
As starters in college, Williams has about .45 fumbles per game while Fields had .5 fumbles per game. So even without taking any context into account (Williams has a worse line/skill players so he has to hold onto the ball longer and therefore fumbles more), saying that you want Fields over Williams because Williams fumbles is just not a legitimate argument.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
DJ Moore, who is looking like he's having his best year of his career says fields is better then the QBs coming out this year.

The internets-

Draft a new QB
Moore is supposed to say that
The best one- Moore, a 1k yard receiver and possible pro bowler, isnt that good

Now who do you believe? An actual nfl player? Or the internets?

The internets will be fun when the bears draft MHJ first overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad