OT: Bears & NFL Talk 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Peterman leaving Halas Hall after getting cut today.

IMG_3229.gif

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They actually reinstated the emergency qb rule this offseason. Never understood why they stopped it. So a 3rd qb is beneficial to have on the roster again.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Seemed like an awful lot of smoke from legit reporters (like Brad Biggs) for it just to be a health issue. No idea what it could be but it seems like an odd situation.

Crazy that this happened the same day that Fields calls out the coaching staff. Crazy day.

Reactions: TLEH and Elvis P

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
This where I am
Seemed like an awful lot of smoke from legit reporters (like Brad Biggs) for it just to be a health issue. No idea what it could be but it seems like an odd situation.

Crazy that this happened the same day that Fields calls out the coaching staff. Crazy day.

Reactions: Idionym

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Also just wanted to apologize to you guys because I really just wanted to start the conversation on it rather than frame it like I was saying it was all true what was being reported. I didn’t really convey that correctly and shared a bunch of baseless speculation. My fault.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I admit to not keeping my finger on the pulse of all the things going on with the Bears, especially after 2 losses where it feels better to purposely not pay attention ... but the downside to that is when I pop my head up it can feel like a kick in the head - like it did today.

So far I've learned the DC quit, Fields has thrown the OC under the bus, Braxton Jones is on injured reserve making the only offensive lineman still slotted to play the position he's been at since the season began is the rookie right tackle, the backup QB has been cut and our starting safety and #2 receiver are injured again.

Other than that - all is good in Bearville.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Jim McMahon: Chicago has always cared more about RBs and LBs than QBs

Not that I'm enamored by either McMahon or Fields as NFL QB, but:

“You’re only gonna be as good as your people up front. … I was fortunate when I was here that I had a damn good group of my guys my last five years I was here. The first two were a little sketchy.”

Yet, this team continues to be severely lacking on both fronts, offensively and defensively in the trenches. Now, Ja'Tye Cater, another late rounder (like Braxton Jones), could be lining up at LT against KC, all the while the GM thought *his* rebuilding is "75-80%" complete (src: Buccaneers 27, Bears 17: Nothing about Bears’ plan looks right as season sinks to 0-2).

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Normally you don't like players throwing coaches under the bus like Fields did yesterday, but he does have a lot at stake and their use of him may be costing him tens of millions of dollars.

That said, if 'thinking' isn't his thing and he still hasn't shown the ability to read defenses - it's hard to imagine how he can be the Bears QB of the future.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Normally you don't like players throwing coaches under the bus like Fields did yesterday, but he does have a lot at stake and their use of him may be costing him tens of millions of dollars.

That said, if 'thinking' isn't his thing and he still hasn't shown the ability to read defenses - it's hard to imagine how he can be the Bears QB of the future.

That's it in a nutshell isn't it. This season was mainly about whether or not Fields is the long awaited QB capable of leading this offensively moribund franchise out of the wasteland. Through 2 games it appears the answer is no - he's not the longed for savior.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Some in the media are complaining the Bears don't let fields run enough. Well, they did last year and only won 3 games and practically killed him. Now they are trying to make him a pocket passer and it seems he's not seeing the field so maybe roll outs could be something to try. But, if the O line doesn't block then it won't matter what they do.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Some in the media are complaining the Bears don't let fields run enough. Well, they did last year and only won 3 games and practically killed him. Now they are trying to make him a pocket passer and it seems he's not seeing the field so maybe roll outs could be something to try. But, if the O line doesn't block then it won't matter what they do.

The O-line has been blocking well these first few games, Fields has been problem

He is holding ball forever and then when he tries to run he has ran into several sacks

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The O-line has been blocking well these first few games, Fields has been problem

He is holding ball forever and then when he tries to run he has ran into several sacks
Well is a massive overstatement. He has ran into a few sacks. Yes. Maybe 2 or 3. The interior OL is legit terrible and Braxton Jones has been best clean 1 or 2 times, same with Wright.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Both are true. There are times where Fields has adequate time but he's holding on to the ball way too long, absolutely no feel for the pocket collapsing or clock going off in his head.

This coaching staff obviously wants him to stay in the pocket but they are taking away his best weapon. At least tease the run a few more times and how about some designed roll outs.

This failure goes back to a lame duck GM being allowed to draft your future QB. This coaching staff/GM can always point to - we didn't pick this guy!

QB draft for next year is really deep. That's the only positive to look forward to.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Both are true. There are times where Fields has adequate time but he's holding on to the ball way too long, absolutely no feel for the pocket collapsing or clock going off in his head.

This coaching staff obviously wants him to stay in the pocket but they are taking away his best weapon. At least tease the run a few more times and how about some designed roll outs.

This failure goes back to a lame duck GM being allowed to draft your future QB. This coaching staff/GM can always point to - we didn't pick this guy!

QB draft for next year is really deep. That's the only positive to look forward to.
It's not, though. It's two guys at the top (Williams and Maye) and a few other guys that are talented but aren't anywhere near top-5/10 locks yet. After the top 2, it gets significantly more risky.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

No issue with him being critical publicly but he's not even playing at a backup level on too many plays

Reactions: MarotteMarauder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad