Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
9071F905-5EFA-4546-90F7-CD8F07DC93B3.jpeg
Hello

Reactions: ChiHawks10

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I'd question using a high first on basically any Alabama QB to be honest. They're like getting excited over a Patriots coordinator to me.

Historically, Bama has had three QB taken in the first round: Joe Namath (Homerun pick), Richard Todd (not a homerun) and Tua (too early to make any definitive statement). So, how is taking a QB from Bama in the first rd any riskier than any other school?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Historically, Bama has had three QB taken in the first round: Joe Namath (Homerun pick), Richard Todd (not a homerun) and Tua (too early to make any definitive statement). So, how is taking a QB from Bama in the first rd any riskier than any other school?
Because they're loaded with talent.
Their top two WRs are going in the top 15, Devonta Smith just won the Heisman and they have a really good OL.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Wasn't Joe Burrow surrounded with ridiculous talent at LSU as well?

It's not like Bama is picking bums to play at QB, they have five start recruits fighting to be their QB.

Evaluate the player. Sure, how you project the player outside of Bama's system is part of the evaluation, but to say it's dumb to take a guy just cause he is surrounded with talent strikes me as not nearly nuanced enough.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Wasn't Joe Burrow surrounded with ridiculous talent at LSU as well?

It's not like Bama is picking bums to play at QB, they have five start recruits fighting to be their QB.

Evaluate the player. Sure, how you project the player outside of Bama's system is part of the evaluation, but to say it's dumb to take a guy just cause he is surrounded with talent strikes me as not nearly nuanced enough.

Thank you.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The difference is that Alabama is a proven commodity and machine that is always a top tier contender no matter who they put in behind center. Even other elite teams have ebbs and flows. LSU has by no means had sustained and consistent excellence compared to Bama, so it is lot easier to see how an individual skill player lik QB impacts that team.

I'm not saying don't draft a Bama QB, but using a first on one, especially an early first, just seems like you're buying into Bama more than anything to me.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
The difference is that Alabama is a proven commodity and machine that is always a top tier contender no matter who they put in behind center. Even other elite teams have ebbs and flows. LSU has by no means had sustained and consistent excellence compared to Bama, so it is lot easier to see how an individual skill player lik QB impacts that team.

I'm not saying don't draft a Bama QB, but using a first on one, especially an early first, just seems like you're buying into Bama more than anything to me.
You're missing the point.

I'm not saying LSU has had the same level of sustained success that Alabama does. My point was using your philosophy, since Burrow was surrounded by NFL talent last season and in a great spot, that teams shouldn't have used an early 1st on him.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Not at all. I'm saying that Bama is basically the exception just as hiring a Pats coordinator to be your coach is a bad idea. I don't think you're getting enough standalone comparables when so much of their success was tied into an extremely well-established machine.

Even teams that are great for a few years don't have that. Obviously, a great QB on a bad team gets extra focus, but I just think the lows of QB play get polished over much more in Tuscaloosa than anywhere else consistently.

Reactions: Jdavidev

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Not at all. I'm saying that Bama is basically the exception just as hiring a Pats coordinator to be your coach is a bad idea. I don't think you're getting enough standalone comparables when so much of their success was tied into an extremely well-established machine.

Even teams that are great for a few years don't have that. Obviously, a great QB on a bad team gets extra focus, but I just think the lows of QB play get polished over much more in Tuscaloosa than anywhere else consistently.
So why wouldn't you have Burrow in the 2nd round using that logic? He had elite players all along the line and catching balls from him. He was in a fantastic offensive system.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Again, you're missing the point. I'm saying that Alabama is always great no matter what, so hyping up a QB to be an early first when they're in that system seems like you're poised to overhype the kid. No other team is like that.

I'm not saying QBs from any great team should be knocked off your board, I'm saying that QBs from one specific system should have their breaks pumped at least a bit. That's why I'm bringing up the Pats coordinator analogy. Ordinarily if a team team really good, looking at their coordinators for a head coaching gig seems like a good idea. But with the Pats I'd say that was an exception you should steer clear from.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I'm not missing your point, I'm just trying to point out why it's a bad one that isn't logically consistent.

We just disagree I suppose.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That's the thing though, I'm not claiming any kind of uniformity as I view it specifically as an exception. Alabama is just this weird thing that shits out championships.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Again, you're missing the point. I'm saying that Alabama is always great no matter what, so hyping up a QB to be an early first when they're in that system seems like you're poised to overhype the kid. No other team is like that.

I'm not saying QBs from any great team should be knocked off your board, I'm saying that QBs from one specific system should have their breaks pumped at least a bit. That's why I'm bringing up the Pats coordinator analogy. Ordinarily if a team team really good, looking at their coordinators for a head coaching gig seems like a good idea. But with the Pats I'd say that was an exception you should steer clear from.

Alabama is hardly the first school to hype up their QB for the draft. Hell USC has a worse recent track record when it comes to hyping up the QB for the draft (Leinart, Sanchez, Darnold). There is not enough info out there to suggest Bama first rd QB are riskier QB prospects than any other school.

With that said, do I think Mac Jones is a top 5 pick....NO and this is coming from a Bama fan. I do believe he is a legit top 15-20 pick in the draft. While people are trying to connect the dots of Mac to SF after that trade, I think it's a smokescreen. I think the 49ers will take Fields at 3.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
No talk about 17 game season and the Bears only team to vote against it. I guess you're going to have to separate regular-season records before and after the change.
It's horrible and dumb and reckless all at the same time. Good for the Bears to vote against it. Uneven schedules, more pointless games at the end of the season, more injuries and missing the opportunity to really improve the game by expanding playoffs instead.

But hey, they're close to getting rid of the kickoff entirely and adding multiple helmets and losing brand identity entirely just like College football and the NBA, which I can't watch because I have no idea who's playing anytime I turn on the TV.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I would read too much into that without knowing who they played and who on the bears was playing in those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad