OT: Bears & NFL Talk 83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So this was Philly trying to drive the price up for Indy.
Looks like it. And I guess it worked, because he isn't worth what Indy gave up. Though I think it's maybe 50/50 at best that that 2nd vests in to a 1st. Injuries chances alone make the chance of it not vesting reasonable, let alone if he plays anywhere near as bad as he did in 2020 and gets himself benched again.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Looks like it. And I guess it worked, because he isn't worth what Indy gave up. Though I think it's maybe 50/50 at best that that 2nd vests in to a 1st. Injuries chances alone make the chance of it not vesting reasonable, let alone if he plays anywhere near as bad as he did in 2020 and gets himself benched again.
The only way he isn't worth it is if he doesn't get them to the playoffs. At that point, he's worthless and they're missing next year's 1st or 2nd depending on how soon it spiraled out of control and from there it's on to Jacob Eason. The money is what it is, but they had $40 million in Jacoby/Rivers last year, so choosing a single QB saved them some money. Dak, Stafford, and Watson weren't happening for them and Darnold might have cost about the same as Wentz.

I'm not sure if Greg Cossell is very knowledgeable, but he thinks some of Wentz's issues are fixable, like shortening his wider stance. Who knows, but based on the coaching staff in Philly being overhauled it's not unreasonable to think they had a big hand in Wentz's decline. Some of it is probably mental, but if it's from fans and media getting in his head, Indy is a soft landing spot.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Trask will not go first round
Maybe not, but I think he'll be gone before the Bears 2nd round pick. Don't underestimate the 5th year option being a thing with QBs.

They need to address OT and WR so if they can get a viable QB with a 3rd round pick that would be a pretty good idea, then they can take a tackle and receiver in the 1st/2nd.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The only way he isn't worth it is if he doesn't get them to the playoffs. At that point, he's worthless and they're missing next year's 1st or 2nd depending on how soon it spiraled out of control and from there it's on to Jacob Eason. The money is what it is, but they had $40 million in Jacoby/Rivers last year, so choosing a single QB saved them some money. Dak, Stafford, and Watson weren't happening for them and Darnold might have cost about the same as Wentz.

I'm not sure if Greg Cossell is very knowledgeable, but he thinks some of Wentz's issues are fixable, like shortening his wider stance. Who knows, but based on the coaching staff in Philly being overhauled it's not unreasonable to think they had a big hand in Wentz's decline. Some of it is probably mental, but if it's from fans and media getting in his head, Indy is a soft landing spot.
The toxicity of that situation - who the hell would want to touch that with a 10 foot pole? It's coming out now that Wentz and Petersen weren't on speaking terms for 8-10 weeks during the season. Obviously that's a 2 way street, and you have to assume both of them are pretty immature to let that drag on like that.

And this pretty well explains why the Bears stayed the hell away. Nagy and Petersen are close friends. With this all in mind, maybe Wentz will fix things now that he's away from that situation. I just hope nobody in Indianapolis hurts his feelings ever.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
The toxicity of that situation - who the hell would want to touch that with a 10 foot pole? It's coming out now that Wentz and Petersen weren't on speaking terms for 8-10 weeks during the season. Obviously that's a 2 way street, and you have to assume both of them are pretty immature to let that drag on like that.

And this pretty well explains why the Bears stayed the hell away. Nagy and Petersen are close friends. With this all in mind, maybe Wentz will fix things now that he's away from that situation. I just hope nobody in Indianapolis hurts his feelings ever.

Pace doesn't deserve this pat on the back for "staying away". The Bears' offer for Wentz was reportedly BETTER than Indy's. Wentz forced the Eagles' hand because he'd be due an ADDITIONAL $10 mil cap hit if he remains on their roster past March 14.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Pace doesn't deserve this pat on the back for "staying away". The Bears' offer for Wentz was reportedly BETTER than Indy's. Wentz forced the Eagles' hand because he'd be due an ADDITIONAL $10 mil cap hit if he remains on their roster past March 14.
Eh, I don't know. The report that I saw had the Bears never giving an offer. Who knows.

But you're right and either way, Pace needs to fix this situation and he's in a bind fixing it while seemingly sitting there as a lameduck GM. He couldn't do it when he was on top of the world and a couple of future hall of famers fell in his lap (Mahomes and Watson). So I'm not sure I like his chances of pulling this off with everything lining up against him now.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
So, in a thread where others have used quotes and news from known journalists who say the Bears never made an offer, you come up with this, with no quotes from any known journalists? We're just supposed to believe you based on....what, exactly?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

It came out that the Bears never actually made an offer...

That was just Philly trying to drive up the price for Indy, IMO.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I never believed the 1st rounder or claims of that. And all that was always coming from Philly reporters right? So they were definitely being fed this idea to claim the Bears were doing it and of course people who already wanted to believe the worst of Pace would run with that being a real offer.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Pretty sure that guy you're responding to is a troll. I can't think of a single post from them over the years that wasn't them trolling.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It came out that the Bears never actually made an offer...

That was just Philly trying to drive up the price for Indy, IMO.

They "Did their homework" = Wentz stood firm on not wanting to come to Chicago so thus the Bears talks stalled

The fact our GM was interested is damning enough

As for Darnold ,, I would be fine trading a 4th or 5th rounder for him as reclamation project for next season

Darnold at cost of 4th >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Allowing Pace to draft another QB

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They "Did their homework" = Wentz stood firm on not wanting to come to Chicago so thus the Bears talks stalled

The fact our GM was interested is damning enough

As for Darnold ,, I would be fine trading a 4th or 5th rounder for him as reclamation project for next season

Darnold at cost of 4th >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Allowing Pace to draft another QB
The Bears don't have a 4th rounder this year so they'd have to either trade their 3rd this year or next year in order to get Darnold, but yeah, I'd agree. Use their 1st on a tackle and their 2nd on a WR and be done with it.

I'm starting to believe that the Bears don't value Robinson as much as everyone else does, and I think they're just going to let him walk, crazy as that is. Which is really dumb.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Some dude name Michael Balko says the Bears are "the favorites" to sign JJ Watt. I know his wife plays for the Red Stars (Chicago NSWL team) and he has hinted in the past about Chicago. But this feels similar to Jared Allen, a future HOF player interested in Chicago after his prime is over. I would not hate it but it would have to depend on the contract.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Some dude name Michael Balko says the Bears are "the favorites" to sign JJ Watt. I know his wife plays for the Red Stars (Chicago NSWL team) and he has hinted in the past about Chicago. But this feels similar to Jared Allen, a future HOF player interested in Chicago after his prime is over. I would not hate it but it would have to depend on the contract.
Get that feeling also. Contract will be thing if this has any legs to this.
The guy is a saints blogger so my guess a whole bunch of nada.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
So, in a thread where others have used quotes and news from known journalists who say the Bears never made an offer, you come up with this, with no quotes from any known journalists? We're just supposed to believe you based on....what, exactly?

Imagine being an apologist getting the panties in a bunch for "Fail Genius" Pace. Now man up and go tell the author of this column from basically the only major new paper in Philly that he is not a "[sports] journalist":

Carson Wentz forces Eagles to make the worst trade in Philadelphia sports history | Marcus Hayes

"Sources told The Inquirer that, if traded to Chicago, Wentz would be upset. The Bears’ offer was slightly better than the Colts’, but they weren’t willing to risk Wentz not showing up. That’s right: The guy most responsible for the Eagles’ 4-11-1 record in 2020 set his own destination. Disgusted, Lurie sent him away."

Last edited:

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Pretty sure that guy you're responding to is a troll. I can't think of a single post from them over the years that wasn't them trolling.

Imagine being so easily trollable that Sports Illustrated became interested in making you a victim of their campaign:

Will the Eagles end up having to trade Carson Wentz to Indianapolis because he doesn’t want to go to Chicago?

"Chicago and Indianapolis remain the only teams known to be involved in the long-running Wentz trade drama. On Monday, Albert Breer from Sports Illustrated’s MMQB reported that Chicago was the front-runner, but said it was “pretty clear” that Wentz preferred Indianapolis. Breer’s take was that the Eagles needed to convince Wentz the Bears were his only option, if he really wants to leave Philadelphia.

But an NFL management source with experience in such negotiations said he thinks the Bears are unlikely to trade for Wentz unless he is fully onboard; the source said he thinks it is more likely the Eagles will end up having to take whatever Indianapolis is offering, before the March 19 deadline that requires a $10 million Wentz bonus payment, because that is where Wentz wants to go."

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Imagine being an apologist getting the panties in a bunch for "Fail Genius" Pace. Now man up and go tell the author of this column from basically the only major new paper in Philly that he is not a "[sports] journalist":

Carson Wentz forces Eagles to make the worst trade in Philadelphia sports history | Marcus Hayes

"Sources told The Inquirer that, if traded to Chicago, Wentz would be upset. The Bears’ offer was slightly better than the Colts’, but they weren’t willing to risk Wentz not showing up. That’s right: The guy most responsible for the Eagles’ 4-11-1 record in 2020 set his own destination. Disgusted, Lurie sent him away."
That's a good roasting of Wentz there. Wow. And to think we had a couple people here that actually wanted that bum on the Bears.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
That's a good roasting of Wentz there. Wow. And to think we had a couple people here that actually wanted that bum on the Bears.

"Some will minimize the GM’s colossal failure by focusing on the return — a 2021 third-rounder and a 2022 second-rounder that could become a first-rounder — for a quarterback who had the greatest statistical regression for any under-30 starter in 70 years and so obviously wanted to leave the Eagles. They will credit him for a sunk-cost move that has the Colts on the hook for $47.4 million of the guaranteed number."

Why would anyone be interested in the first place?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Posting a source. Was that so hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad