Bears & NFL Talk 67: Who needs a kicker anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
What do you think would happen during the heat of the moment and you forget there is a female behind the facemask and a light tap on the buttocks is caught on camera after said female makes a big kick.

Absolutely nothing

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's the punter on a fake. I'd assume she'd be entirely limited to kicking, which isn't even involved in a fake.

It still puts her out there in situations like that. I am sorry but she would get killed out there. My opinion has nothing to do with her gender and a lot to do with the fact that she is 5'7" 141 lbs.

QB- Avg. Height: 75.43 in Avg. Weight: 224.97 lbs
RB- Avg. Height: 70.73 in Avg. Weight: 214.48 lbs
WR- Avg. Height: 72.40 in Avg. Weight: 200.32 lbs
TE- Avg. Height: 76.54 in Avg. Weight: 254.26 lbs
FB- Avg. Height: 72.33 in Avg. Weight: 244.43 lbs
OL- Avg. Height: 76.75 in Avg. Weight: 314.16 lbs
DB- Avg. Height: 71.69 in Avg. Weight: 200.10 lbs
LB- Avg. Height: 74.04 in Avg. Weight: 244.64 lbs
DE- Avg. Height: 75.82 in Avg. Weight: 278.99 lbs
DT- Avg. Height: 75.22 in Avg. Weight: 308.97 lbs
K- Avg. Height: 72.19 in Avg. Weight: 202.58 lbs
P- Avg. Height: 73.77 in Avg. Weight: 214.32 lbs

LS- Avg. Height: 74.48 in Avg. Weight: 243.76 lbs

Source.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I stopped playing football in high school partially because I thought I was undersized as a 5'9" then 175 lbs center/DT.

I get that kickers and punters have significantly less wear and tear and make less contact, but yeah.... that's a blocked kick away from a coma at that size in the NFL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I stopped playing football in high school partially because I thought I was undersized as a 5'9" then 175 lbs center/DT.

I get that kickers and punters have significantly less wear and tear and make less contact, but yeah.... that's a blocked kick away from a coma at that size in the NFL.
I was 5'10" 190lbs in college. I benched around 350 and squatted in the mid / high 500s. I got thrown like a rag doll. Not in games ... but in practice! I wasn't good enough to get meaningful time in actual games. And this was decades ago.

I can't imagine being 140lbs against those NFL freaks. I guess that's where my fear of Lloyd in an actual NFL game comes from ... from my experience in just college.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
NFL players will be salivating at the mouth to get at that small girl in there, so they can show that girls don't belong playing NFL football.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It's preseason. I would imagine decisions are influenced much more on what unit he'd like to give reps than game management philosophy.

Full disclosure, I'm not watching.
While I agree with that, I'm confused because it isn't like any of the guys on offense on the field are going to make the team.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Why wouldn't you go for it? Especially in the preseason
Nagy said they had a game plan. I believe the cut off line was 48/49 yard FG. That's fine by me for now. The Bears are being realistic with someone who is basically a rookie.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You can tell the longer Soldier Field grass affected Pineiro's first kick. The taller grass grabbed his kicking cleat and he just duffed it. It was ugly.

That said, with all the pressure in the world (livelihood on the line), Pineiro hit 3 FGs right down the middle. He appears mentally strong. There's going to be some growing pains, but I think Pineiro's upside is huge. I have no interest in recycling kickers like Mason Crosby, Dan Bailey, etc. I think we're rolling with Eddy Pineiro. Furthermore, his kickoff ability is exceptional. Let's hope for the best and his inevitable "rookie" mistakes doesn't haunt us.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You can tell the longer Soldier Field grass affected Pineiro's first kick. The taller grass grabbed his kicking cleat and he just duffed it. It was ugly.

That said, with all the pressure in the world (livelihood on the line), Pineiro hit 3 FGs right down the middle. He appears mentally strong. There's going to be some growing pains, but I think Pineiro's upside is huge. I have no interest in recycling kickers like Mason Crosby, Dan Bailey, etc. I think we're rolling with Eddy Pineiro. Furthermore, his kickoff ability is exceptional. Let's hope for the best and his inevitable "rookie" mistakes doesn't haunt us.

He was really good at Florida right?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He was really good at Florida right?
Yes ... in 2 years at Florida, he hit 56/58 extra point attempts. 38/43 FG in college. Made his final 16 FGs to end his college career.

He was good enough to pass his final year of college eligibility to declare for the NFL draft after graduating. Nick Saban offered him a scholarship at Bama, but he went to Florida instead.

We all marveled at Carli Lloyd's 55 yard kickoff field goal (which was impressive). 2 years ago, Eddy Pineiro made an 81 yard "kickoff field goal" in practice. This is why the NFL is using the 37 year old Lloyd as a PR stunt rather than being realistic. A 24 year old kicker with a far stronger leg and a history of success in real football games is on the bubble for the Bears.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes ... in 2 years at Florida, he hit 56/58 extra point attempts. 38/43 FG in college. Made his final 16 FGs to end his college career.

He was good enough to pass his final year of college eligibility to declare for the NFL draft after graduating. Nick Saban offered him a scholarship at Bama, but he went to Florida instead.

We all marveled at Carli Lloyd's 55 yard kickoff field goal. 2 years ago, Eddy Pineiro made an 81 yard "kickoff field goal" in practice. This is why the NFL is using Lloyd as a PR stunt rather than being serious. A 24 year old kicker with a far stronger leg and a history of success in real football games is on the bubble for the Bears.

As you can see with my posts here I don't buy the Lloyd hype so I just want a steady and permanent solution at the K position.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
As you can see with my posts here I don't buy the Lloyd hype so I just want a steady and permanent solution at the K position.
I love the USWNT. They are fun to watch. They are great soccer players. I also believe they deserve the same % of the USSF gate receipts / television fees / merchandise sales as the USMNT. If that means being paid more than the men in a certain year, so be it. They deserve it. That's capitalism.

However, IMO, the Carli Lloyd NFL hype is just utter nonsense for many reasons.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I love the USWNT. They are fun to watch. They are great soccer players. I also believe they deserve the same % of the USSF gate receipts / television fees / merchandise sales as the USMNT. If that means being paid more than the men in a certain year, so be it. They deserve it. That's capitalism.

However, IMO, the Carli Lloyd NFL hype is just utter nonsense for many reasons.

The bold is a different conversation. I am fan as well (I am not a huge soccer person though). My daughter is starting to like soccer so I am hoping she gets into the USWNT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad