Bears and NFL Talk thread XLIII: Bears lose in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Disagree

All year Cutler and offense have pulled magic out of ass on 3rd and longs in every game

Its happens too frequently that he ends up facing 3rd and 8 , etc

Only time they don't face 3rd and long is in redzone but that has its own problems to be dealt with

1st drive 3rd and 1, 3rd and 3
2nd: 3rd and 1
3rd: none
4th: none
5th: 3rd and 16 (penalty)
6th: 3rd and 8, 3rd and 6
7th: 3rd and 1, 3rd and 1, 3rd and 4
8th: 3rd and 9 (penalty), 3rd and 3, 3rd and 12 (penalty)
9th: 3rd and 19 (penalty)
10th: 3rd and 10
11th: 3rd and 2
12th: 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12 (kneeled for field goal)
13th: 3rd and 8

So 4 3rd and 8+ not due to penalty all game out of 13 drives.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
No they haven't

There has barely been any designed roll outs

Cutler getting out of pocket is usually him escaping and making plays

Another issue is the Bears lack of play action ,, Seriously they never use it despite the very potential it has to open up offensive attack

It's shocking how wrong you routinely are

Five reasons why Bears' Jay Cutler is thriving under Adam Gase

3. Move the pocket: The most underrated part of Cutler’s game is his mobility. Cutler is a phenomenal athlete. He has run the ball 22 times for 115 yards and one touchdown in eight games. Those are impressive numbers for any quarterback. Cutler is a dual threat outside of the pocket. Gase has capitalized on Cutler’s versatile skill set and called for some read-option and roll-out plays. Gone are the days when Mike Martz used to make Cutler take seven-step drops behind a suspect offensive line. Cutler was sacked 52 times in 2010. He has been sacked 12 times this year. The offensive coordinator also plays a role in pass protection.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bea...-bears-jay-cutler-is-thriving-under-adam-gase

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Hey guys i watched the game today with my Pop, i still can't believe Gould missed that one, just wow.

Bears keep shooting themselves in the foot, Cutler throwing that interception was a blow to the club, we had so much momentum at the time, D at the end looked so foolish, some dumb flags yet again, Robbie with 2 misses :( i'm wondering if his age is starting to catch up with him.

Very disappointing, so many close one's this season that we should have won.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Well it is becoming a problem

It has always been a problem with Fox going back to Carolina. He is unwilling to step his foot on neck of opponent and goes ultra-conservative late

Look at all those wasted runs up middle with Forte on 1st and 2nd down setting up 3rd and longs

You cant expect all season to succeed putting your QB and offense in constant 3rd and long

This i agree with, may have possibly squeezed out a couple of those close ones but crap decisions at end running instead of passing or other way around, cannot understand what's going on in coaches minds.

Glad Football is not as important to me as Hockey.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Bears were the better Team, couldn't capitalize when they needed. Have a feeling Goulds time is over after the season ends. Those misses just can't happen. They lost us the game.

You guys calling out the Coaches? Much improved in this area and if you want to see a difference, just look at our secondary or the whole defense. They are improving every single game.
Offense has had a good and solid playcalling. A playcalling needed for this game with the mistakes Cutty has made.
It was good enough to win until Gould lost us the game

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
Hey guys i watched the game today with my Pop, i still can't believe Gould missed that one, just wow.

Bears keep shooting themselves in the foot, Cutler throwing that interception was a blow to the club, we had so much momentum at the time, D at the end looked so foolish, some dumb flags yet again, Robbie with 2 misses :( i'm wondering if his age is starting to catch up with him.

Very disappointing, so many close one's this season that we should have won.

Pick wasn't on Cutler. It's a quick hit WR screen/hitch, and it is Bellamy's job to hit that CB.

He didn't

We would see picks like that all of the time if WR's didn't do their job.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
For people that have fun doing math to see the likelihood of getting in, I wholeheartedly believe IF we somehow win out, we WILL make the playoffs at 9-7

Eagles will win 1, maybe 2 more no matter what
Skins, Bucs will lose to us (in this scenario, they're out)
Falcons lose one of 2 (at least) to Carolina... we have tiebreaker
Vikings lose @ GB and @ Arz
Giants win that division

In this scenario, bears are in lololol.

Everything seems likely except for I have no confidence we're good enough to win out after losing to the niners. TO BE FAIR, it was all on gould. He essentially missed an extra point to lose the game. That's as automatic as it comes for any kicker in the league.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
For people that have fun doing math to see the likelihood of getting in, I wholeheartedly believe IF we somehow win out, we WILL make the playoffs at 9-7

Eagles will win 1, maybe 2 more no matter what
Skins, Bucs will lose to us (in this scenario, they're out)
Falcons lose one of 2 (at least) to Carolina... we have tiebreaker
Vikings lose @ GB and @ Arz
Giants win that division

In this scenario, bears are in lololol.

Everything seems likely except for I have no confidence we're good enough to win out after losing to the niners. TO BE FAIR, it was all on gould. He essentially missed an extra point to lose the game. That's as automatic as it comes for any kicker in the league.

Wow.... it is scary when you put it like that... we had a lay up with the Niners, but this is the NFL.

That loss was 100% on Gould. You CANNOT miss that kick.

Hasn't Gould cost us two games this season? I presume they will part ways with him after the season.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
Wow.... it is scary when you put it like that... we had a lay up with the Niners, but this is the NFL.

Hasn't Gould cost us two games this season? I presume they will part ways with him after the season.

Yeah it is scary that it's still possible. Just to clarify though:

What happens IMO if Bears win out: Playoff spot as 6 seed wildcard.

What really is going to happen: Bears will lose to TB or Was. We aren't going to get swept by Min or Det IMO.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010

Hes still one of the most accurate kickers in nfl history (top 5 im pretty sure). But really, just another example of limp [mod] foxball leaving the bears with 0 margin for error.

Last edited by a moderator:

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
Hes still one of the most accurate kickers in nfl history (top 5 im pretty sure). But really, just another example of limp dick foxball leaving the bears with 0 margin for error.

100 percent of coaches in the nfl do what he did at the end of the game, period.

You don't give any qb in nfl history a chance to throw, you run and set up for the automatic FG (it was only 3 years or so longer than an extra point)

This loss is on Gould.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gould is not going anywhere ,, He actually isn't far off from his norm this year 26/31 FG (83.9%)

Problem is 3 of the 5 misses have haunted Bears and ended up costing them games

Miss vs Vikes + 2 misses vs 49ers have been far too costly

That is difference between 7-5 team and 5-7 team

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Hes still one of the most accurate kickers in nfl history (top 5 im pretty sure). But really, just another example of limp dick foxball leaving the bears with 0 margin for error.

Yes they should have thrown for the endzone instead of letting their pro bowl kicker take a shot at a chip shot to win the game.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
100 percent of coaches in the nfl do what he did at the end of the game, period.

You don't give any qb in nfl history a chance to throw, you run and set up for the automatic FG (it was only 3 years or so longer than an extra point)

This loss is on Gould.

I think he's referring to the game as a whole...against a bad team like the 49'ers, it shouldn't have to come down to a last second field goal to beat them...Bears should have buried this team and they didn't

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Gould is not going anywhere ,, He actually isn't far off from his norm this year 26/31 FG (83.9%)

Problem is 3 of the 5 misses have haunted Bears and ended up costing them games

Miss vs Vikes + 2 misses vs 49ers have been far too costly

That is difference between 7-5 team and 5-7 team

That's why they probably cut him... Save Cap and he lost 2 games this year

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
I think he's referring to the game as a whole...against a bad team like the 49'ers, it shouldn't have to come down to a last second field goal to beat them...Bears should have buried this team and they didn't

I agree, shouldn't have. But it's the NFL and its normal for this to happen no matter the talent/coaching differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad