Bears and NFL Talk thread XLII: Bears lose to the hapless Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I honestly don't think the Bears will be relevant again while the McCaskey's own the team. Just don't know if the understand how to run a football team. They sure as hell know how to run a business though. Good lord, all the money they have been taking from the fans for the last decade.

Year Revenue ($MM)
2006 209
2007 226
2008 241
2009 254
2010 266
2011 286
2012 298
2013 309
2014 352

There is a salary cap in football.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Not for front office personnel. We all know that this team's demise is from the top down. Can't be competitive when almost all your 1st rd picks bust.

They have been drafting bad, but that's not because they aren't spending money on scouts/general managers. That's absurd.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Should have grabbed Quinn instead. Quinn >>>> Fox.

Why would Quinn rather be in Chicago? Here in Atlanta he's got a better QB, WR and owner. Hell, he even has a better defense than what the Bears have to offer.

I love the Bears, but you have to be realistic. Truth is we really ****ed up by not taking Arians and instead going with Trestman.

It got even worse when we draft a WR in the first round this past year despite that position not being the most need ( even with the departure of Marshall). We should have given away our pick to accumulate a latter first and an additional second round pick, and loaded up on Defense. But no, we got a WR who may be good, but he only really had 1 breakout year in college.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Wr is one of the least important positions on a team. And personally, I don't believe he was bpa or a position of need. Not to mention the whole injured thing.

He wasn't injured when they drafted him or at least they didn't draft him knowing he had a stress fracture.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
The White pick wasn't awful. He's a AJ Green/Julio Jones type of prospect. He had an injury, but it hasn't changed his projection as a WR.

It was a very good pick and he was unquestionably the BPA. The only reason it is being questioned is because 1) Some can't understand why trading Marshall was the right move and 2) He got hurt so quickly.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
The White pick wasn't awful. He's a AJ Green/Julio Jones type of prospect. He had an injury, but it hasn't changed his projection as a WR.

It was a very good pick and he was unquestionably the BPA. The only reason it is being questioned is because 1) Some can't understand why trading Marshall was the right move and 2) He got hurt so quickly.

I dont like the pick and i also dont mind marshall being gone. Theres 1 football, how many pass catchers does a team need? Holes everywhere on the defense and they take a relatively unimportant offensive player.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I dont like the pick and i also dont mind marshall being gone. Theres 1 football, how many pass catchers does a team need? Holes everywhere on the defense and they take a relatively unimportant offensive player.

Who did you want them to take?

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Who did you want them to take?

Personally, i would have liked it if they had traded the pick for a late first and another pick or something along those lines. I also wouldnt have minded if they had drafted that corner from msu, but i dont remember his name. At the time, i was okay with the pick, but over the past couple weeks ive been thinking about it more and more and have begun to dislike it.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
When Leonard Williams went to the Jets, I wanted the Bears to trade down. If the BPA doesn't fit, then that's when you move the pick. And with the lack of talent throughout the defense, more picks is good.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago

There's only one football, how many defensive backs do you need?

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
When Leonard Williams went to the Jets, I wanted the Bears to trade down. If the BPA doesn't fit, then that's when you move the pick. And with the lack of talent throughout the defense, more picks is good.

Ok, 7th overall for 16th overall plus a 7th.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois

You can only trade down if the equal or better value is on the table. You can't just trade down to trade down.

White is a superstar potential WR.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Yea, and the best receiver in football has played in one playoff game in his career.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You can only trade down if the equal or better value is on the table. You can't just trade down to trade down.

White is a superstar potential WR.

Right, #1 you can only trade down if someone wants to trade up and #2 you should only trade down if you can get value.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yea, and the best receiver in football has played in one playoff game in his career.

And Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin won 6 Super Bowls between the two of them. You don't pass on the best available player just because he plays a less important position. Most great teams have at least one elite pass catching option.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
And Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin won 6 Super Bowls between the two of them. You don't pass on the best available player just because he plays a less important position. Most great teams have at least one elite pass catching option.

You mean like alshon Jeffery, martellus Bennett, and matt forte? Who are these elite receivers on the last like 10 super bowl winners? Gronkowski, Harrison? Jimmy Graham may have been there for 1, can't quite remember.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
You mean like alshon Jeffery, martellus Bennett, and matt forte? Who are these elite receivers on the last like 10 super bowl winners? Gronkowski, Harrison? Jimmy Graham may have been there for 1, can't quite remember.

Anquan Boldin is a borderline HOFer. Gronk, Harrison, Wayne,Clark, Tate proved he is a beast IMO last season, Edelman is a beast, Cruz was elite for a short period of time, Colston was a beast for a few years, Santonio Holmes peaked and fell down quickly,Heath Miller is as balanced of a TE as they come (so underrated) Shannon Sharpe, Holt and Bruce, Rod Smith/Shannon Sharpe/Ed McAffrey, Irvin, Rice, etc etc,

Super Bowl losers had Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Boldin in his prime, Vernon Davis, Harrison/Wayne/Clark, Tim Brown, Holt, Bruce, Dyson, McCardell, Andre Reed, etc

I'm sure I missed a lot on top of that.

So many great receiving targets.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Anquan boldin hofer? Huh? Tate, edelman, cruz? Seems like the giants have a new guy every other year whos the next big thing, is it possible that maybe thats a function of the system they have in place? Elite doesnt mean good numbers for 2-3 years either, elite is your calvin johnsons, larry fitzgeralds, randy mosses who are consistently among the best receivers in the league. And as i already pointed out, the bears have jeffery, bennet and forte already, for a team with a terrible defense and solid offense, seems like pretty bad asset management to draft a receiver top 10.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

None of those guys may be on the Bears as soon as next year.

Elite pass catchers off the top of my head to be in a super bowl recently - Harrison, Wayne, Fitzgerald, Thomas, gronk, Cruz, moss. Then a bunch of very good guys like Wallace, Holmes, manningham, ward, Hernandez, shockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad