Line Combos: "Bear or Bouchard " to Mcdavids Wing

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
I was thinking what negative effect could it have trying out Bouchard or Bear on Mcdavids Wing ?

Both can fire the puck are RH and have great offensive instincts Drai could take his own line you could move Nugent Hopkins with Drai on the second line or move him back to the vacant 3C spot.

Both guys have a perpensity for scoring from the back end and while thier games aren't rounded out enough to run a blueline.

Perhaps trying them in an offensive role with Connor might be an experiment worth trying . One could be a trigger man on the top of the circle on the PP Mcdavid must miss having a RH weapon to feed in stride .

I'd try one or both on the wing for a brief time 5-6 games and see if anything develops at worst they get a different perspective of playing with Connor for the future sitting next to him and communicating in game.

Both are still on Entry Level Deals and it could prove useful if they acclimatize to forward in case of emergency in the future?

Just a thought I personally would have tried it by now .

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
These guys are/were trying to learn to play pro and now you want to confuse them and change their position?

Seems like a good way to stunt a prospects development and ruin the defensive depth we've tried for so long to get.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I was thinking what negative effect could it have trying out Bouchard or Bear on Mcdavids Wing ?

Both can fire the puck are RH and have great offensive instincts Drai could take his own line you could move Nugent Hopkins with Drai on the second line or move him back to the vacant 3C spot.

Both guys have a perpensity for scoring from the back end and while thier games aren't rounded out enough to run a blueline.

Perhaps trying them in an offensive role with Connor might be an experiment worth trying . One could be a trigger man on the top of the circle on the PP Mcdavid must miss having a RH weapon to feed in stride .

I'd try one or both on the wing for a brief time 5-6 games and see if anything develops at worst they get a different perspective of playing with Connor for the future sitting next to him and communicating in game.

Both are still on Entry Level Deals and it could prove useful if they acclimatize to forward in case of emergency in the future?

Just a thought I personally would have tried it by now .
Go back to bed dad, you're drunk.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
These guys are/were trying to learn to play pro and now you want to confuse them and change their position?

Seems like a good way to stunt a prospects development and ruin the defensive depth we've tried for so long to get.
It wouldn't ruin anything ....it's not waterboarding .

it's a trial run on the best player in the world's wing where they are weak and have no RHS .

Development is kind of a problem already is it not ?

I'm not going to get into that though.

This was just an idea thats outside the box.

That being said most of the solutions I've read are about as creative as a can of sardines.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It wouldn't ruin anything ....it's not waterboarding .

it's a trial run on the best player in the world's wing where they are weak and have no RHS .

Development is kind of a problem already is it not ?

I'm not going to get into that though.

This was just an idea thats outside the box.

That being said most of the solutions I've read are about as creative as a can of sardines.

McDavid needs world class wingers, not wingers that have never played the game on wing.

Reactions: thadd

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Or, and hear me out on this one, we could let them keep developing as offensive defensemen and finally get the threat of some offense from the blue line which would make it easier on the forwards anyway.

For sure that's obvious as is everything else that is proposed but hasn't worked.

Maybe outside the box is something to consider it's not going to ruin them . If anything it gives them a better perpective on how to defend see the game differently and another tool in the coaches reportoire . Do you truly believe it would give them some sort of talent virus if they tried either of them on the wing for a bit.

Lack of vision is why the team is where it is to presently.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
its funny because i was thinking what if the oilers coached JP98 into a D man. RH shot great skating big offensive dman aka brent burns

then i thought lol thats stupid so this thread is too

Reactions: McDaddy and Aerrol

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
its funny because i was thinking what if the oilers coached JP98 into a D man. RH shot great skating big offensive dman aka brent burns

then i thought lol thats stupid so this thread is too

Haha why is it stupid ? It has happened before aka Burns ? Stupid that's a little unwarranted now I have to take the time to scroll your posts don't want to get shamed by the Harvard Grad again.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
For sure that's obvious as is everything else that is proposed but hasn't worked.

Maybe outside the box is something to consider it's not going to ruin them . If anything it gives them a better perpective on how to defend see the game differently and another tool in the coaches reportoire . Do you truly believe it would give them some sort of talent virus if they tried either of them on the wing for a bit.

Lack of vision is why the team is where it is to presently.

We could move McDavid to wing. Give him a huge powerforward winger in Koskanin, a defensively sound center in Talbot

Reactions: elmeroil

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
McDavid needs world class wingers, not wingers that have never played the game on wing.

I get it I do .

But that's not gonna happen that ship has sailed it time to look for creative solutions the only way he get world class wingers presently is if they are on the team he is traded to.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Yay more boring creative solutions is that you Chia?
Edited haha it's late ....

But c'mon really is that the same thing I don't understand what the big deal is it is done Fedorov Buff Burns plus many others ? Do you guys not follow hockey.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Edited haha it's late ....

But c'mon really is that the same thing I don't understand what the big deal is it is done Fedorov Buff Burns plus many others ? Do you guys not follow hockey.

They're two of the only players in the last couple of decades who have done it successfully. Changing positions is HARD this late in the game. Hall couldn't even make the switch to centre and the dude just won MVP last year. I'm not as ENTIRELY opposed to the idea as the rest of the thread but the likelihood of this succeeding is like 1%. Not to mention in both other cases it was moving a good NHL player (something neither Bear nor Bouchard are right now) from a position of team strength to a position of team weakness.

We'd be taking prospects who can't make the NHL at their comfortable position and moving them from a position of team weakness to a position of... Slightly less team weakness lol.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
I'm not saying play them at Center.

Wing is entirely entirely different there are players in the league who haven't been inside thier own blueline in years it's not a fair comparison at all.

Defense is much harder physically and mentally for younger guys Wing is the least mental position without question .

I'm not suggesting nuclear war or burnng any villages bring them up run them through some drills watch some video take some reps on his line and trial run it there literally is nothing franchise threatening with experimenting with the idea you have almost no other options.

I mean you can go back to arguing about Benning for X forward for the next 80 threads no skin off Deez Newts lol
I just find it funny that people get so upset at a creative suggestion that is viable .

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
They're two of the only players in the last couple of decades who have done it successfully. Changing positions is HARD this late in the game. Hall couldn't even make the switch to centre and the dude just won MVP last year. I'm not as ENTIRELY opposed to the idea as the rest of the thread but the likelihood of this succeeding is like 1%. Not to mention in both other cases it was moving a good NHL player (something neither Bear nor Bouchard are right now) from a position of team strength to a position of team weakness.

We'd be taking prospects who can't make the NHL at their comfortable position and moving them from a position of team weakness to a position of... Slightly less team weakness lol.

I should mention this isent a shot directed at you .
I think your post is solid I get it .....it's just option are limited this may open some .

Reactions: Aerrol

Isignedupjustfothis

Jun 21, 2018
If we found a RW to play RW and a LW to play LW that would not be creative, but it kind of works for other teams. Those are the things we should be trying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad