There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

View attachment 462851

2D2984C9-8E2E-4CF2-854B-9CC3C0B636D5.jpeg

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Question for all those who have kids/nieces/nephews ect.

Do the kids actually use the supplies the school requires them to buy?

I had to drop off a ups package at staples and the place was a nightmare. So many kids and parents with their heads buried in the school supplies list going aisle by aisle. I heard one guy ask where the protractors are.

Do kids in upper grades really need Crayola crayons and markers?
I always buy school supplies for our local library to distribute to kids....a lot of poor families around here.

Back to school is one of my favorite seasons...my school days are far in the past but I revel in shopping all the choices...I would own a bajillion pens if I had the room...

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Soooooo, are we not gonna talk about ida? Sounds like she's gonna dwarf Katrina. This is gonna be real bad.

I wonder if they're going to open up the super dome again to the public. This timing is uncanny.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Soooooo, are we not gonna talk about ida? Sounds like she's gonna dwarf Katrina. This is gonna be real bad.

I wonder if they're going to open up the super dome again to the public. This timing is uncanny.
I will be watching TWC all night into tomorrow.... can't believe she strengthened so fast....jumping between the Weather Channel and the Harry Potter marathon on USA....

One of TWC anchors went up to the top of a levee.... height of a two story building....and it MIGHT hold the water back....

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Hoping this thing doesn’t explode over night. The wind is still cat 2 but the pressure keeps dropping.

At least a lot of people left this time. Just have to pray the levees hold and this thing doesn’t get any stronger.

Reactions: LSCII

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hoping this thing doesn’t explode over night. The wind is still cat 2 but the pressure keeps dropping.

At least a lot of people left this time. Just have to pray the levees hold and this thing doesn’t get any stronger.
Yep, the pressure is the thing to watch

Reactions: LSCII

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I always buy school supplies for our local library to distribute to kids....a lot of poor families around here.

Back to school is one of my favorite seasons...my school days are far in the past but I revel in shopping all the choices...I would own a bajillion pens if I had the room...
To this day, I am an office supply nerd, but man, school supply shopping in the 70s and 80s was fun. At least as a kid. :laugh:

Memories, anyone?

NVDCA-1472679496-embed-80school_trapper.png
a3694750143c51f70441b489d204f455.jpg
f32a16d17e4ebe3ac2708499fedf0c24.jpg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I hope people are smart and get out before it is too late.

Also DON'T BUILD BELOW SEA LEVEL if you live there. Between the ocean lake and river it makes no sense.

I am driving to Maine today. This is the first year I have sailed more than once a year on the schooner and first time I am going without my daughter (we went in July but she could not get time off to go twice).

The man (and his wife) who designed built and sailed the schooner for over 30 years are going on this trip so it will be fun. I know the crew and am looking forward to it. Hopefully we get more wind...lots of wind !
Doug-LindaLee-MWAPHoto-1024x752.jpg

Heritage_George-Kovarick-1050-1024x681.jpg

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Weather stations at the end of the Mississippi River Delta are already seeing sustained winds of 100 mph and seas 5+ feet above predicted levels, and the eye is still several hours away.

Edit: 38 foot waves!!!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This is bringing back Ivan memories for me. We were only a short distance from the intracoastal waterway. A subdivision on the other side of the highway from us, closest to the water, got obliterated. Some places, all that was left was the foundation slab. Completely unrecognizable after that.

I get the appeal of living on the coast, it's beautiful. But you can lose it all in a hurry with one of these beasts.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I hope people are smart and get out before it is too late.

Also DON'T BUILD BELOW SEA LEVEL if you live there. Between the ocean lake and river it makes no sense.

I am driving to Maine today. This is the first year I have sailed more than once a year on the schooner and first time I am going without my daughter (we went in July but she could not get time off to go twice).

The man (and his wife) who designed built and sailed the schooner for over 30 years are going on this trip so it will be fun. I know the crew and am looking forward to it. Hopefully we get more wind...lots of wind !
Doug-LindaLee-MWAPHoto-1024x752.jpg

Heritage_George-Kovarick-1050-1024x681.jpg

Have fun!

Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
First time in New Orleans was for Super Bowl XX

Patriots fans were outnumbered 100-1 - you could actually buy Super Bowl tickets at the Sullivan Stadium box office as they didn't have many STH's then.

My biggest memory of that debacle was being on Bourbon St and looking UP at ships in the Mississippi and thinking that is nuts.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
To this day, I am an office supply nerd, but man, school supply shopping in the 70s and 80s was fun. At least as a kid. :laugh:

Memories, anyone?

View attachment 462879 View attachment 462880 View attachment 462881

First day of School. Popularity rankings were largely affected by how fancy your trapper keeper was, how many crayons you had in your box(with a sharpener if you were a big spender). Lunch box was more personal and a curiosity to what each kid chose as theirs.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
First day of School. Popularity rankings were largely affected by how fancy your trapper keeper was, how many crayons you had in your box(with a sharpener if you were a big spender). Lunch box was more personal and a curiosity to what each kid chose as theirs.
And whether or not you had a pair of these bad boys
1545428380-reebok-1545428346.jpg

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad