OT - NO POLITICS Beach, beer, cookouts, ice cream. It’s Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
it was very weird hazy out here in central Mass..
Strange odor like when someone is welding something is only way I can describe it.

Breathing for me has been an issue with this smoke in the air because of my life long asthma. Crazy to think it's moved across the country like it has and how many folks have had issues being able to breath because of it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Breathing for me has been an issue with this smoke in the air because of my life long asthma. Crazy to think it's moved across the country like it has and how many folks have had issues being able to breath because of it.

yeah its nuts. My son that was out in Calif last year said that although was over 100 miles away from the fires his employer issued stay home orders. The buildings ac systems filters couldnt handle it.
Kid said the sky was orange not blue for weeks.

Reactions: LSCII

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

No shit- I have mild asthma and while I don't need a rescue inhaler at all, or take any meds, it gets uncomfortable. We had some weird confluence of the Western wildfire smoke and Sahara dust a couple days ago and it was like someone burnt the porkchops on the stove out there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Going to smoke a pork shoulder or pork butt this weekend. Haven't attempted one yet, so this should be a learning experience. Any smokers out there have any tips/advice?

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Hey! Anyone on this thread from the Haverhill area? I'm heading up Thursday with my Son and wondering about good restaurants to eat at. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Hey! Anyone on this thread from the Haverhill area? I'm heading up Thursday with my Son and wondering about good restaurants to eat at. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!!

I am not from there and don't know how old your son is, but The Tap is great.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I think I need to cut back on caffeine. I had a red bull coupled with a double espresso shot large ice coffee and my head is now pounding like a drum.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I think I need to cut back on caffeine. I had a red bull coupled with a double espresso shot large ice coffee and my head is now pounding like a drum.
Drink a ton of water to flush your system.

You are giving me the shakes just reading what you drank haha.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Going to smoke a pork shoulder or pork butt this weekend. Haven't attempted one yet, so this should be a learning experience. Any smokers out there have any tips/advice?
Hopefully you have a thermometer that you can leave inserted in the meat while it smokes, definitely the best way to monitor until youre really experienced. If not theres a balance between checking too often & not enough; I think about every 30 min.

Get some apple juice and don't be afraid to inject it into the meat at various stages to keep it moist.

Drink often, then you won't care if its dry haha.

It's been years since I've done it a lot but smoker pork is kind of like pizza - even if it's bad it's pretty good.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hopefully you have a thermometer that you can leave inserted in the meat while it smokes, definitely the best way to monitor until youre really experienced. If not theres a balance between checking too often & not enough; I think about every 30 min.

Get some apple juice and don't be afraid to inject it into the meat at various stages to keep it moist.

Drink often, then you won't care if its dry haha.

It's been years since I've done it a lot but smoker pork is kind of like pizza - even if it's bad it's pretty good.

I do, and it's tied to an app on my phone so I can check it at will. lol

Reactions: Bocephus86

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Been zoned out for awhile now. Hockey has been far down my list.
My 12 year-old daughter and I saved a shark. It was only 3' but was in the shallows and struggling but without hesitation she guided it to deeper waters where I got it animated. I swam down a couple times and got to hold it. She was non-plussed - as if it's every day you get to hold a shark.

Anyways, I hope she holds onto the memory because it was super cool. And I was genuinely impressed with her No fear. Walked up to her neck guiding a shark, hands-on.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
batten down the hatches.

upload_2021-7-27_16-48-6.jpeg

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I do, and it's tied to an app on my phone so I can check it at will. lol
That's the best tool you can have, now you can deal with balancing the temp without having to open up the whole smoker every 20-30 min. Have fun, I miss it. Might get one again next year now that I'm back in the 'burbs. Had a concerned neighbor call the fire department on me at an old apartment and got rid of my smoker the next day haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad