Salary Cap: Be the GM Thread | 2013 offseason and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Do you guys think Scuderi would take a longer deal at a cheaper AAV to return on a retirement contract? He would definitely be a huge help to our back end, and would be a stud in a defense first system if a new coach is brought in. (Such as Tippett)

4 years 10 million?

Would you retire around Pittsburgh or Around the beaches of CAlifornia

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Posted in the other thread.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / __________
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / _________
_________ /Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Zach Sill ($0.578m)
________

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($6.00m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / __________
_____________ / ____________
Brian Dumoulin ($900,000)

GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)

COACHES
__________, __________, __________

OTHER
Buyout: Marc-Andre Fleury ($0.000m)
Trades: Brooks Orpik, Matt Niskanen, Tanner Glass, Deryk Engelland
------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $47,636,667; BONUSES: $85,000
CAP SPACE (15-man roster): $16,748,333

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think Pouliot is at all redundant. He has the vision and passing skills to become a true PP QB and we don't really have one of those right now. Whether or not he was the right pick at #8 overall is another question and it's something no one can answer right now. Only time will tell.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What's the possibility that we could get Horton? Instead of Iginla.

No chance.

1. Why would he leave Boston? I'm sure they'll try hard to keep him.

2. Why would he want to join the team his current team is beating?

They'll be able to keep him, if we want a top 6 winger, we're better off keeping Jarome Iginla. He will probably be cheaper than Horton, he's still a good player and he offers leadership to this team.

EDIT:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Zach Sill ($0.578m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.678m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Matt Niskanen ($0.000m)
Buyout: Tanner Glass ($0.000m)
Buyout: Jussi Jokinen ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,115,833; BONUSES: $85,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,269,167

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
No chance.

1. Why would he leave Boston? I'm sure they'll try hard to keep him.

2. Why would he want to join the team his current team is beating?

They'll be able to keep him, if we want a top 6 winger, we're better off keeping Jarome Iginla. He will probably be cheaper than Horton, he's still a good player and he offers leadership to this team.

EDIT:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Zach Sill ($0.578m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.678m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Matt Niskanen ($0.000m)
Buyout: Tanner Glass ($0.000m)
Buyout: Jussi Jokinen ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,115,833; BONUSES: $85,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,269,167

I don't think it'd be a choice of him wanting to leave he just may have to. Why? Well, Rask is a RFA and is going to be getting around $5m-$5.5m whilst Horton will command around the same. They only have $3m in cap space so they'll have to trade or buyout to fit under and I still think there'd be a trouble fitting that in.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You talking LA? Theyve made it as far as we have and won more recently too.

I was calling the Pens the pretender and the Kings the contender.

Some people here really don't appreciate it as it applies to the Pens free agents over the next year. Malkin wants to win another cup. That's what he talks about in terms of validating his legacy . . . one cup can be luck, but you can't argue against two.

Why should he sign an extension now? He has no incentive to do so. He may still do it, but it's not in his best interest. He could play out the last year. If things get better over the summer and play out well with the team next year, then he can resign. If not, then he can pick any truer contender for whom to play.

Now, the argument back is 'yeah, but Shero could trade him'. Could he really? For what. What he got for Staal-- sort of in the value ballpark-- only happened because Jim Rutherford KNEW he could resign him. When asked after the deal by Toronto media why he didn't try to match, Brian Burke said 'we don't have a Staal on our team'.

Well, there's no team with a Malkin brother. Nobody who isn't a contender will make anything close to being in the same constellation as value, because all they'll be getting for sure is one year of Malkin. True contenders . . . none of them will pay the price, (a) because they'd be gutting their team and (b) because you don't even think about it if there's ANY chance that Malkin might leave after a year.

He holds all the cards. Letang does too in the same way. We'd better hope that the last two seasons haven't put them into 'trust but verify' mode when it comes to signing an extension. I wouldn't blame either if it has.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm feeling more and more like keeping Duper and Cooke is more important than going after Iginla.

Going after Scuderi seems like a good idea if we can shed Fleury's contract. If we do I think we need a strong young goalie though (Gibson as a pipe dream).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm feeling more and more like keeping Duper and Cooke is more important than going after Iginla.

Going after Scuderi seems like a good idea if we can shed Fleury's contract. If we do I think we need a strong young goalie though (Gibson as a pipe dream).

Scuderi, Cooke, Dupuis, Backstrom (goalie), Tippett.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
I haven't been around these threads much this season.

What about trading Fleury & Orpik to Edmonton? Can get Cap Space, Hemsky, + in return.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007

I want Cooke retained. Great player. Dupuis will not be worth the $ he will get as a UFA.

quins

Feb 27, 2013
We need a new coach first. NOT a friend a ****** coach.....we need someone to get players to play the game from start to finish and not get frustrated so easily....that's step 1 in my opinion. Before making trades....except fleury....unless we get a solid goalie coach

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dupuis is a must-sign. I'm cool with keeping Cooke, and maybe even Kennedy as well. His regular season was awful but I think he redeemed himself in the playoffs, and I think he can be a 35-45 point guy in the regular season again. Move Niskanen, Fleury and Glass. I like Jokinen's versatility, I'm leaning towards keeping him.

Overall this team needs to get younger. Despres, Bennett, Dumoulin/Bortuzzo should be in the lineup every night. Vitale needs to be a fixture on the 4th line and the PK. I think that all has the additional advantage of making us bigger and faster and more skilled.

Oh and get a new coaching staff for the love of christ.

quins

Feb 27, 2013
Dupuis is a must-sign. I'm cool with keeping Cooke, and maybe even Kennedy as well. His regular season was awful but I think he redeemed himself in the playoffs, and I think he can be a 35-45 point guy in the regular season again. Move Niskanen, Fleury and Glass. I like Jokinen's versatility, I'm leaning towards keeping him.

Overall this team needs to get younger. Despres, Bennett, Dumoulin/Bortuzzo should be in the lineup every night. Vitale needs to be a fixture on the 4th line and the PK. I think that all has the additional advantage of making us bigger and faster and more skilled.

Oh and get a new coaching staff for the love of christ.

This.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Would the penguins be interested in Khudobin, probably the best FA Goalie, and this guy is just always in compete mode. I don't see his name go around alot, and i think he would be a good match in pittsburgh

scrappylilnobody

Feb 11, 2006
I think the biggest changes we will see this off-season is a possible coach and change in the supporting cast. Some of the supporting cast played well but it might be time for a changing of the guard. Bring up some young guys and let them try to contribute. Rebuild the bottom six. Find the right complimentary players for our 3 center model. If Letang is the guy then find him a partner that puts him at his best. It's hard to imagine the team without Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy, Orpik and etc but it might be the right time to move on and try something new. Some new faces, some new leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad