Speculation: Be Slats ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Marleau is about as consistent of a 30 goal threat in this league. However, he's 35, and you just know that his blazing speed will disappear once he hits MSG ice.

His cap hit at 6.5M is not bad for a 1C (also assuming B. Richards is bought out) and it's only for 3Y (doubt his price tag is too high)

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
1) Buy out Richards
2) Trade Nash+ for a big, defensively responsible center for the 3rd line (eg. Jordan Staal, Martin Hanzal)
3) Resign all FA's except Boyle (I would resign him, but not for more than 3M/yr, which he'll prob get)

FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Benoit Pouliot ($2.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.700m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.150m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
J.T. Miller ($0.894m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($4.000m)
John Moore ($1.851m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,470,500; BONUSES: $445,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,629,500

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think all you "Trade Nash" people are going to be mighty disappointed. Full NMC. Can't imagine his value on the market right now is anything Sather would consider dealing him for. Can't imagine he'd be willing to waive his NMC from a team that just made the SCF and still has a shot every year as long as Hank is back there.

Maybe in the 2015 off-season. For now, I think we need to put this to bed.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I think all you "Trade Nash" people are going to be mighty disappointed. Full NMC. Can't imagine his value on the market right now is anything Sather would consider dealing him for. Can't imagine he'd be willing to waive his NMC from a team that just made the SCF and still has a shot every year as long as Hank is back there.

Maybe in the 2015 off-season. For now, I think we need to put this to bed.

Trading Nash is virtually impossible.

Trade value right now is low.
NMC
Can't get equal value in return (point production per year)
Leaves a hole fill and sets the team back

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
Scoring slump aside, Rick Nash became a much better hockey player this year. I wish he would pot huge playoff goals as well, but he's worked his ass off to become a more well-rounded player this season and I think that he deserves one more year in blue (at least until the deadline). Throw in the fact that his value is at an all-time low and it becomes an absolute no brainer to keep him around at least until the deadline next season.

I'm not pardoning his playoff performance, but I still believe in Rick and his effort level and attention to detail have won me over.

That said, this upcoming season is his last chance to cement his future in New York.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Scoring slump aside, Rick Nash became a much better hockey player this year. I wish he would pot huge playoff goals as well, but he's worked his ass off to become a more well-rounded player this season and I think that he deserves one more year in blue (at least until the deadline). Throw in the fact that his value is at an all-time low and it becomes an absolute no brainer to keep him around at least until the deadline next season.

I'm not pardoning his playoff performance, but I still believe in Rick and his effort level and attention to detail have won me over.

That said, this upcoming season is his last chance to cement his future in New York.

He also has a NMC.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Dan Boyle is UFA...bad calls or what but the PP was the main reason we loss...how much per is he asking...probably offer a 1 yr contract but definitely he wants a multi yr deal...also 37 yrs old...FIX THE POWER PLAY...getting rid of Richards is a start

Signing a washed up Dan Boyle isn't going to fix the PP.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
His regular season wasn't a complete disaster, 26 goals isn't an awful number to put up. During the playoffs his offensive production was straight up ****, no other way to put it, but I don't think that it's fair to state that he is useless indefinitely because of it.

He's anything but straight up useless.

On a team with the right components, Nash could be a very solid asset.
I think a lot of teams would be very interested in him.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
1) Buy out Richards
2) Trade Nash+ for a big, defensively responsible center for the 3rd line (eg. Jordan Staal, Martin Hanzal)
3) Resign all FA's except Boyle (I would resign him, but not for more than 3M/yr, which he'll prob get)

FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Benoit Pouliot ($2.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.700m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.150m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
J.T. Miller ($0.894m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($4.000m)
John Moore ($1.851m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,470,500; BONUSES: $445,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,629,500

I just see this as no upgrade at all. I'd rather keep Nash, rather than have $6m 3rd line center. We need a 1st line C, that should be priority. IF and a big IF Nash is traded (which I disagree with and quite frankly won't happen), it should be for a 1st line center.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My take:

http://rangersunlimited.com/2014/06/14/off-season-starts-today/

With the Rangers’ playoff run ending last night in a dramatic double overtime, they are officially in the off-season. With a strong off-season, I feel the Rangers can enter next season as the favorites to win the East.

The Rangers have a window, it’s not clear how long, but it’s not indefinite. Henrik Lundqvist is past traditional peak years for goalies. Martin St. Louis is 38. Rick Nash and Dan Girardi will be both be on the wrong side of 30 by the start of next season. Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider and Carl Hagelin are still in the range of peak-age, but they won’t be so cheap on the cap in the future, and there’s no obvious talent coming up to replace them on entry-level contracts. So they need to capitalize on what they have now.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Rangers have some very hard decisions to make. Buying out Richards is buying out a close friend of the guy who just demanded a trade here, and a guy who was by all reports an important leader in the locker room. It has to be done to even have a prayer of re-signing everyone else, but that's going to be a tough thing for this team to overcome.

Now people are talking about dealing Staal, who is an anchor on D and an obvious leader for this team. How is that going to effect the team going into next year?

We saw this team take a huge step back after we dealt two core pieces for Nash. Can this team match this success, let alone best it next season if they gut the room again?

Anyway, I don't think Nash is as untradeable as some people seem to think he is. He's still pretty much a lock for 30+ goals in the regular season, and there is always a GM out there who thinks they can get him and turn him into a player he isn't. The biggest problem is his NMC, not his contract or playoff performance.

My main concern is that with Nash, MSL and Zuccarello all under contract, the team has a ton of cap space tied up in three RW's. MSL isn't going anywhere and Nash has a NMC, so that leaves Zuccarello. I could see him being a cap casualty, which would be a real shame because he's one of a handful of guys on this team who gives his all every game, but the Rangers made their bed on this and now they have to deal with it.

With Richards out, we obviously need another center. I wasn't impressed at all with Miller this year, and I'd be very surprised if the team went into next year trying to pencil him in.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
"Rick Nash is a pretty unique offensive player. He’s great at creating offense for himself."

People are going to lambaste you for that. Although I agree with you.

I'd agree with that actually....in the regular season.

In the playoffs his game and his effectiveness just drop off a table. He can't adjust and can't deliver when it really counts in a Cup run. He's a big guy that plays small and does not spend nearly enough time around the net making chances for himself.

Kreider's goal and many of the Kings goals were good examples of playoff scoring. Be around the net and you can create opportunities.

Apr 10, 2012
1st priority: attempt to extend staal. offer him a solid number for 3-5 years and don't move much. if he doesn't take it, shop him as actively as possible as a rental player or if he wants carolina we can offer him that i'm sure... but i don't see him wanting to leave after the SCF. i think his family will understand. IF he's traded-- carolina being the most likely to be able to get a guaranteed resign, i'm looking to package staal for faulk(expenive af i'm sure) or skinner (don't want).

2nd priority is the amnesty on richards. he' important in the room, but from a business aspect we can't keep him. the money can go towards another FA that's more reliable or at least has size at this point(not to mention paying our RFA/UFAs)

3rd priority: (ongoing) work out deals with RFAs/UFAs actively

4th priority: fill the gaps. find size and forwards that shoot righty, shop nash to fill the gaps quietly.

free agent pool doesn't help us incredibly this season so we're going to need to be focused on resigning some guys and working some magic shopping nash and if mandatory staal.

a question that i'm asking myself is whether or not i try to bring cally back in with freed cap room

spezza interests me but i don't know how much that would cost us for a rental.

doesn't sound like any fan base wants nash w/o retention. let washington have him, give us ovi :sarcasm:

LGRDunDunDunDunDa

Mar 17, 2011
Buyout Richards(save 6.7 M)
Trade Staal for Picks (save 3.975 M)
Sign Kreider to a Bridge (2 yr./4.5 M)
Sign Zuccarello, Stralman, D Moore, Brassard and Gionta to 4-5 yr deals that have less cap hit in 2014.
2015- decide what to do with St. Louis and Nash and cap should be going up.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Projected 2014-2015 with Brian Gionta
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Kreider ($2.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derick Brassard ($3.800m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Mats Zuccarello ($2.800m) / Dominic Moore ($2.000m) / Brian Gionta ($3.800m)
Brian Boyle ($2.500m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)
J.T. Miller ($0.894m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Anton Stralman ($3.600m) / John Moore ($1.300m)
Kevin Klein ($2.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.500m) /
Justin Falk ($1.024m)
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)

------
SALARY CAP: $70,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,997,917; BONUSES: $530,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $103,083

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Staal is going to be a difficult decision. If Stralman can be resigned you can move him at the draft or offseason. I believe he has much more trade value that way.
If Stralman goes, do nothing with him and let his contract run out and try and resign him.
I dont see them resigning Boyle
I dont see Poo coming back
I dont see Carcillo coming back
D. Moore should be resigned. 3-4 years

Avoid Spezza and any other shiny toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad