Be honest

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Like others have said Chiarelli inherited a pretty solid team. In 06-07 that team was really only missing a number 1 goalie which Thomas turned into and then Rask. Then the Kessel trade was really lucky in hindsight, with it being a top 2 pick and drafting Hamilton the next year.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Thats not how a "new GM" may think. Rather have teammates who "need" each other than a loose cannon thinking he can do it all himself.

RNH plays a position that is almost impossible to get via trade (unless you are dealing with Chirelli..cough Seguin..). Hall holds more value but is tradable due to the position he plays.

MacT is going with RNH, Hall, Eberle and Klefbom as core and we know he is sold on Yak.

A new GM might think differently especially if he is expected to be bold.

man, you deserve the oiler team we have right now.. holy crap.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Until this team starts drafting better, it doesn't matter who the GM is. Trades and free agency aren't going to fix this team.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Until this team starts drafting better, it doesn't matter who the GM is. Trades and free agency aren't going to fix this team.

I'd be willing to bet Trades and Free agency COULD in fact fix this team. It just takes a competent GM and supporting staff to do so.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Poor drafting slowed down the rebuild by atleast 2 yrs but IMO we are now past the drafting stage of rebuild. After the 1st pick this draft I would care less for who we draft for the next couple years.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I can't believe there are people arguing against ANYONE replacing MacTavish. What the **** does this management team have to do for some people to want a change?

Disgusting.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Do you realize the GM is ultimately the one that decides who gets drafted?

Except in Edmonton, where it's these 2.
4742733113_5bb97ebf92.jpg

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I can't believe there are people arguing against ANYONE replacing MacTavish. What the **** does this management team have to do for some people to want a change?

Disgusting.

Dont like MacT but certainly dont want Chiarelli.

Chia had a good draft his first year as Bruins head coach but it was held only a month after his hiring. I doubt he had much say in the scout rankings. Since the Kessle draft its been a whole lot of meh for Bruins.

Hamil 8th overall followed by Reul, Cross etc in 2007

Colborne and whole lot of busts in 2008. Colborne was considered a bust there and was traded away for cheap.

Caron, Seguin and Hamilton are the only 3 players since 2008 draft who have played over a 100 games in NHL. 3/33 players drafted by Chia with Caron being another potential bust.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Chia had a good draft his first year as Bruins head coach but it was held only a month after his hiring. I doubt he had much say in the scout rankings. Since the Kessle draft its been a whole lot of meh for Bruins.

Colborne and whole lot of busts in 2008. Colborne was considered a bust there and was traded away for cheap.

Caron, Seguin and Hamilton are the only 3 players since 2008 draft who have played over a 100 games in NHL. 3/33 players drafted by Chia with Caron being another potential bust.

Let's see, one constructed a Stanley Cup winning team and a consistent playoff team for years, the other managed to make his awful predecessor's team even worse.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

and similar to MacT, you are losing credibility with every post!

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Let's see, one constructed a Stanley Cup winning team and a consistent playoff team for years, the other managed to make his awful predecessor's team even worse.

:handclap:

All seriuosness tho, what's it finally going to take for them to get the boot? Is it a couple years out of the playoffs in the new building? Or is that even enough

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

How did he construct this great team? What top line talent did he acquire?
Krejci\Bergeron were already there along with Savard , Sobotka, Boyes, Sturm and Murray.
Chara , Stuar at D and Thomas\Fernandez in net were also already there. Rask was already in the system.

Kessle, Lucic and Marchand were drafted a month after he was hired.

There is none of that in EDM.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Do you realize the GM is ultimately the one that decides who gets drafted?

The GM can only go by what the scouts are telling him. An NHL GM doesn't have time to be scouting all the draft eligible players.

I'd be willing to bet Trades and Free agency COULD in fact fix this team. It just takes a competent GM and supporting staff to do so.

The biggest holes on this team can't realistically be filled by free agency or trades. Maybe a decent but flawed #1 goalie. Top pairing defensemen need to be found in the draft. There are a limited number of quality players available each year and we have to compete with good teams for them, we have limited assets, and there's the issue of no-trade clauses.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How did he construct this great team? What top line talent did he acquire?
Krejci\Bergeron were already there along with Savard , Sobotka, Boyes, Sturm and Murray.
Chara , Stuar at D and Thomas\Fernandez in net were also already there. Rask was already in the system.

There is none of that in EDM.

His teams still made the playoffs in several years coupled with 2 SCF appearances.

Was the talent already in place? Perhaps, but he brought in a good coach (Julien) and kept the team a consistent playoff contender.

Meanwhile, MacTavish is coming off the worst season in franchise history. His team was almost worse than teams that were actively trying to be as terrible as possible.

In fact the only reason the Oilers didn't finish last overall was because the Eastern Conference has a bunch of crappy teams that the Oilers took advantage of. They were ******* awful against the West.

I really don't see how Peter Chiarelli isn't an upgrade over the worst GM in the league. And generally when people call you the worst, that means everyone else is better than you. MacT is indefensible at this point, he's worse than Tambellini for God's sake.

Watch a team like the Leafs go and get PC and instantly improve over the summer.

#MeanwhileInEdmonton

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
The biggest holes on this team can't realistically be filled by free agency or trades. Maybe a decent but flawed #1 goalie. Top pairing defensemen need to be found in the draft. There are a limited number of quality players available each year and we have to compete with good teams for them, we have limited assets, and there's the issue of no-trade clauses.

I dont know how you can argue that this team can't be turned around using free agency and trades. its not going to be one move that turns it around, thats for dam sure. Look at Anaheims defense.. does that scream "amazing" to you? They finished first in the west. I would argue they have 1 top pairing defenseman on the team (yes, thats one more than us). Look at Phoenix the year before they got good.. they were a team similar to us with tons of youth and many many holes. what they did? they went out and signed as many veterans as possible, hired a great coach and boom, they broke out the next year. you don't need incredible D, you don't need incredible forwards and you dont need incredible goaltending.. you need hard working NHL veterans. You can acquire those for picks and sign them fairly cheap on the open market.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
i'm an optimist so i voted yes.. but holy crap, how is katz doing nothing about the state of this team? If he ran rexall drugs like he runs the oilers, the business would go under. He has an opportunity right now to snap up a very good GM that would do absolute wonders to this team. Please dont squander this opportunity!
The most reasonable explanation for this is that Katz doesn't care about the hockey team as much as he cares about his pharmaceutical operations. I'd go so far as to say he doesn't care at all about the Oilers and that's why he does nothing about his terrible executives year after year. Purchasing the Oilers was just a tool for him to expand his business empire. Mactavish stays due to Katz indifference. This really sucks for the fans but until we actually see some sort of pulse from Katz regarding the on ice product then I have to assume it's the truth. It's getting harder and harder for this fan who goes back to the WHA days to maintain interest in this team when ownership and management don't either.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Was the talent already in place? Perhaps, but he brought in a good coach (Julien) and kept the team a consistent playoff contender.

I really don't see how Peter Chiarelli isn't an upgrade over the worst GM in the league.

Watch a team like the Leafs go and get PC and instantly improve over the summer.

#MeanwhileInEdmonton

I listed the talent already that was in place in BOS. What makes you think Chia would be able to make the Oilers a playoffs team without that talent? (franchise Dman, franchise goalie, #1C and #2C)

My only concern is that he has no attachment to guys like Hall, Eberle, Draisaitl and Yakupov and might consider them expendables like he did with Boyes, Kessel and Seguin. With MacT we atleast know that these players are safe.

He would fit better in a team like the Leafs who have no "untouchables" and are starting a rebuild.

I would give MacT this offseason to improve on the core before giving up on both him and this core.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I listed the talent already that was in place in BOS. What makes you think Chia would be able to make the Oilers a playoffs team without that talent? (franchise Dman, franchise goalie, #1C and #2C)

My only concern is that he has no attachment to guys like Hall, Eberle, Draisaitl and Yakupov and might consider them expendables like he did with Boyes, Kessel and Seguin. With MacT we atleast know that these players are safe.

He would fit better in a team like the Leafs who have no "untouchables" and are starting a rebuild.

I would give MacT this offseason to improve on the core before giving up on both him and this core.

I would argue this is a good thing.. this team needs a shakeup! If he can trade a Yakupov for a #1 right defenseman, thats a dam good move.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I listed the talent already that was in place in BOS. What makes you think Chia would be able to make the Oilers a playoffs team without that talent?

Why would anyone on a dumpster fire team like this be "untouchable"? If PC could swing a deal involving Eberle to get us a Top pairing D I don't see how you say no to it.

Also how would you say any of the guys you mentioned are untouchable and not say Kessel is the same in Toronto?

MacT has brought us nothing but garbage and the one decent player he managed to acquire he gave away for kibbles and bits. Watch Klefbom get dealt for a 3rd once he finally gets to be at a good level.

MacT deserves absolutely ****ing nothing. He has ruined this team even more than Tambo has. He's all but said we're going to lose even more next year. What a ****ing loser.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I would argue this is a good thing.. this team needs a shakeup! If he can trade a Yakupov for a #1 right defenseman, thats a dam good move.

This right here is exactly what I am talking about. That is completely unrealistic. Yakupov is an offensive forward with a career high of 33 points. He is not going to get anything close to a #1 defenseman in a trade. If that was possible it would have happened already.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They wouldn't have let him do an end of season presser about his plans going forward if they were going to fire him. MacT will be here for at least another season

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Only chance to get rid of the clowns upstairs is riots in central ottawa or/and stop feeding katz other businesses. Maybe someone could dig up some stuff from the past that forces him/them to leave the org.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I'm optimistic we could win it. I mean, we got 3 in a row. Who better than us to get a 4th one? May the hockey gods bestow McJesus upon us.

Edit: sorry, I can't read. I thought it was a lotto question. Lotto on my mind 24/7.

And no, I don't think they'll do anything drastic to change management. Same ol same old boys club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad