CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
This is HF for you:

"I hate when you sim 40 games you get demoted!"

"Why do you sim so much then?"

"WELL I DON'T WANT TO PLAY 82 GAMES FOR 25 SEASONS"

I'd imagine that by changing your period length and for example play like "play one - sim two" -style you'd still get seasons go pretty fast.

Yeah, it really doesn't take too long. Playing the game is what makes it fun. Especially in juniors.
You can play in the NHL in every other mode in the game.

Idk, just me.

nguava

Sep 14, 2016
I was drafted #1 pick in the NHL.

Here was my formula:

Settings:

Rookie
20 minute periods
Changed the gamesliders so I can score/get points easier.

I changed the settings after I got into the NHL for more realism.

Simming vs playing during juniors:

1. I played the first 10 games (whole game)
Make sure you're in the green for offensive, defensive and teammate grade.

2. I played the third period of the next 10 games
By the third period after simming the first two, I already had an A+ for all three categories.
By the 20th game ish my average offensive, defensive and teammate grade was an A+.

3. From there I simmed the rest of the season and then voila .. #1 pick.

I think if you want to be #1 pick you need to have an A+ average grade. I was able to sim without penalty, but I had to put in the work first.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes

Here was my formula:

Settings:

Rookie
20 minute periods

By the third period after simming the first two, I already had an A+ for all three categories.
By the 20th game ish my average offensive, defensive and teammate grade was an A+.

I think if you want to be #1 pick you need to have an A+ average grade. I was able to sim without penalty, but I had to put in the work first.

I did something similar. Same thing with sliders, etc and 20mins on rookie, but would play in each game but only for the last couple minutes or so. I sim the first and second period, depending on the score I would join in at the 7min mark or 4 minute mark. Difference being 1 or 2 more shifts. When you join the game you automatically have all A+ ratings for O/D/T. You have to be really bad to lose those, so it's also an easy way to get your "Straight A's" trophy.

At the end of the season I went first overall and was a 74 rating if I recall correctly.

Did the same in my first season, and playoffs. Sitting at 80 rating. I simmed the second season, but the game is soooo slooow at processing and then the prompts on moving lines. At the end of the second season my player only went up 1 rank to 81. I thought it would be a bit higher.. Any suggestions?

The Commodore

Sep 24, 2016

Here was my formula:

Settings:

Rookie
20 minute periods

Just got the game. Thanks, I was wondering how to do this.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I've been playing NHL 16 Be a Pro since I do not plan on buying 17.... and the following is on the long list of reasons why.....

Playing as a center grinder on Carolina. Made the team out of preseason and worked my way up to the first line in less than 2 months. In 22 games:
12 goals, 14 assist, 26 points. 115 hits. Lots of fights. B+ offense rating, B- defense rating, A- team play. All coach feedback in the green.

Just finished playing a game against the Oilers in which I had 12 hits, 1 assist, and all coach feedback categories were in the green.

Sim to the next game. Sent down to the AHL.
Simulated the Oilers game a few times and I get sent down to the minors every single time.

**** EA Sports. Absolutely garbage product. If I purchased 17 and this happened I would be livid.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
I've been playing NHL 16 Be a Pro since I do not plan on buying 17.... and the following is on the long list of reasons why.....

Playing as a center grinder on Carolina. Made the team out of preseason and worked my way up to the first line in less than 2 months. In 22 games:
12 goals, 14 assist, 26 points. 115 hits. Lots of fights. B+ offense rating, B- defense rating, A- team play. All coach feedback in the green.

Just finished playing a game against the Oilers in which I had 12 hits, 1 assist, and all coach feedback categories were in the green.

Simulated the Oilers game a few times and I get sent down to the minors every single time.

**** EA Sports. Absolutely garbage product. If I purchased 17 and this happened I would be livid.

That's weird. I still have a 16 BAP career that I play along with the 17 BAP and so far I've never been sent down in either one. Then again I play all games.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
That's weird. I still have a 16 BAP career that I play along with the 17 BAP and so far I've never been sent down in either one. Then again I play all games.

Yeah... I've only simmed 2 games and had simming penalty turned off.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Yeah... I've only simmed 2 games and had simming penalty turned off.

Same, this happened to me last year too.

This year, I've just been demoted lines.. on the 3rd line now.. got a feeling the AHL be coming right up though.

w/e, I'm done being pissy about it.. maybe next year they will revamp be a pro.

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
Do 2017 draftees get put into the game? I got drafted after a season in the CHL, played there again and I'm now in the NHL and haven't seen any 2017 draftees at all.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
They fixed it so that you now can change your preferred jersey number after starting your BAP, but even after changing it (to a perfectly available number no less) the player still keeps his previous number on the roster. :rolleyes:

I noticed this because I picked #9, and then when I randomized my team I got the Swift Current Broncos where #9 is retired (because of the tragic bus accident in the 80's), so that's when I checked if I could change my number. Doesn't work.

I assume the game just sets your jersey number at the start of the season, or even at the start of joining a new team and then doesn't bother changing it until you switch teams. Even the interface changes to reflect my number change.

Why they won't allow the player to just change cosmetic things like this in a single player mode I will never understand, especially since there is support for it in GM mode. Why not BAP as well?

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Just getting started...

I have played about 20 games so far. Started as:

15yo
Kitchener Rangers
Sniper Centre

Full 20 minute periods, Superstar settings...full simulation...no simming.

The game seemed very slow to me in the beginning. NHL16 seemed faster as far as gameplay goes, but maybe it's because I was at a much higher level compared to 'starting over as a newbie'. My issues so far:

HATE the 'late backcheck' penalty. If my guy is crashing the crease, and the defenseman turns it over, why am I penalised for taking too long to get back???

HATE the 'bad line defense' penalty. When will EA smarten up??? If I am covering MY guy, and someone else blows his cover and they score, why am I penalised??? They should make it so I get a penalty ONLY if I blow the cover on MY guy and he scores. Is that to difficult?

HATE the 'poorly aimed shot' penalty. I mean, as I said in the NHL16 thread...when is ANY shot on goal a BAD shot? You could get a deflection, a bad bounce, the goalie could just fluff it...I mean really?

HATE the fact you are penalised to brutally for defensive 'mistakes', but it takes forever to build up offense. For instance, if you are ON for a goal against, it whacks you a whole grade (C to C-) but if you are ON for a goal, it's only +10, which is only a ripple.

DON'T MIND the new shift clock

DON'T MIND the fact they display the coach's ratings as percentages, so you actually know how much you are gaining or losing

DON'T MIND injuries...I played at least 4 full seasons of junior and never missed a game in NHL16...hardly realistic

Can't say I LOVE anything about the game yet. It still infuriates me, but my teammates don't seem to be quite as stupid as NHL16...just wish they would pass it to me without me having to ask...that stupid 'bad call for pass' grinds my gears every time.

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Useless Goalies

Forgot to mention:

HATE having the most useless goalie in the league. It seems no matter how many shots against, I am ALWAYS on the ice when they score, and it's usually the most pathetic, floating, fluttering shot that gets through. However, I can wind up with a slapper from 10 feet out, and their goalie makes a save that would make an Olympic gymnast blush. I still am amazed when my goalie can make more than 5 saves in a row. If the other team gets 20 shots, guaranteed they get 4 goals. In the real world, a goalie with a SP like that wouldn't last long, even on a Pee Wee team.

grinco

Feb 8, 2015
I've played little over two seasons now and I thought I'd share some of my thoughts here.

I play as a LW (I was supposed to be a RW but chose LW by accident) playmaker, started with All Star difficulty and 20 minute period settings. I started with playing third period of every third game and changed it to every game, third period about halfway through.

I chose to play with Edmonton because I wanted to continue "where I left off" in the previous game. I played the pre-season games, did fairly well but ended up sent down to Bakersfield which I didn't mind at all to be honest.

However, for some reason the gameplay feels very different to me compared to '16. I feel like it is maybe a little more clumsy somehow. The AI doesn't feel as good as it was in the previous game and some of the decisions the CPU makes is absurd.

After the season ended (catasthropically might I add) in the Condors, my contract was up and I had to choose between Oilers, Red Wings, Flames and Blue Jackets. I ended up choosing the Red Wings because they had the least amount of LW's.

I started the pre season in the third line and that went on until the start of the regular season. I bounced off between the first three lines throughout the season. Around 15 games in, Brent Seabrook leveled me on the open ice and broke my leg. It took me off the ice for 65 days so my season was ruined at this point. About halfway in the season, the managment decided to trade away Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall to Minnesota in exchange for a 1st pick and two really ****** prospects. They didn't stop there as they traded Mike Green away. After I returned from the injury I played 10 or so when I got injured again. This time with a fractured ankle and for 35 days. We finished the season with an awful record, I think we were last on the board.

(Just a bonus info here. At the start of the third season Jack Eichel is 95 rated, Connor McDavid is 94, Laine is growing much slower but Auston Matthews is highest rated on the Leafs. Also for some reason the game has taken the "C" away from the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin and Stamkos.)

At the start of the third season my pro is 79 rated. I am now playing third period of every game. I started well in the pre season, again in the third line. I worked my way up to the second line where I am playing with Dylan Larkin and Teemu Pulkkinen. Things are going well for us and my pro is #1 on the scoring in the league. Our record is looking a lot better and things are clicking well. The Red Wings prospects are not developing the way I'd imagine though, excluding Larkin. Also it feels like that Mrazek might not be enough for a cup run.

My goal for this season is to try and stay healthy while making it to the playoffs. I don't value ending up high in the scoring that much at this point at least.

Now I thought I'd also make a few random points and situations about the game. I'll admit some of these points might be irrelevant to most of you as I am not that good in the game.

- As I said the AI is very random and frustrating. On your opponents side, I've faced maaaaaaany ridiculous deflection goals which just would not be possible in real life. Also getting the puck to the net seems very hard at times as the oppositions defense gets you or your passes no matter what.

- Badly aimed shot penalty........WHAT?!

- Aiming the puck seems a lot harder compared to '16. I don't know if this due to the low shooting accuracy or a change in the game but even though I try to be very gentle with the aiming seems like the puck is trying to hit a homerun.

- Fighting. Whenever the opposition hits my teammate hard and the fighting thing pops up, I answer the call and then all of the sudden he won't drop the gloves and we both go to the box for two mins. What's up with that?

- Invisible poke checks. Now I don't know if I'm the only one with this issue but it is so freakishly annoying and stupid. I've watched tons of replays and seen it many times. The defender doesn't even use poke check and might be very far away from me but still the puck leaves my stick.

- Bugs. One time about half of the players on both sides turned black skinned, one time the players faces disappeared and the game has crashed a couple of times.

- And finally the thing we have all been talking about. Why don't they revamp and develope Be A Pro. They had a good thing going with LTL and compared to FIFA or NBA, the NHL version is lacking a lot and has a lot of room to improve. I don't need cutscenes or anything like that from the FIFA Journey but Internationals for one would be a great addition!

All in all I am getting used to being disappointed every year on multiple aspects of the NHL games. There is so much that can be done better but EA is either holding everything back for the upcoming releases or they are lacking the motivation and talent to research fans opinions in order of making a game worthwhile of playing.

Wow that was a long text! I think that's it and grats if you've read it all :P

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I Give Up

After 2 weeks of struggling with BAP...I give up. It just isn't fun to play. The computer just sets you up to fail, and who wants that? I could play it on an easier setting and score 10 goals a game, but that's not fun either. Thanks EA, you are NEVER getting any more money out of me.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Whats your BAP overall?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Wouldn't the best case scenario be to be picked 30th overall.

Then you get drafted straight to the SC chamions instead of a bottom feeder with no hope. :)

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I started for the Oil Kings...

I usually would sim first 2 periods and only play the third periods...

Won memorial cup etc...

Played on All-Star, some settings tweaked..not highly in my favor tho mainly for gameplay...

Towards like Jan I started to sim few games here n there cause I just wanted to get out of the CHL...

I also hated if someone hit a teammated and the option came up Id slam Y and no fight and I put sometimes as fight option, I also had a problem starting one if we were losing bad...

Definitely some annoying things...nerfed stick lift..even when I tweaked it it didnt seem to work well? Funny cause before update it worked great..

Overall, I enjoy 17...I wanted to wait till the big roster update but..I just didnt like how I got forced to one team...in other modes when you would reload often times a different team could pick you.

I got drafted 1st overall by WPG.....no matter how many reloads it was always 1st by WPG....

Annoying, and fact you can't request trade is more annoying...

But yeah coach feedback is very important.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I play on superstar with some slider adjustments to make the gameplay more realistic and would only play the 3rd periods.

Started out on the Mooseheads as a sniper RW 6'0", 195lbs. Won the Q scoring race by a fair margin with about 115 points. Went into the playoffs as the 3rd or 4th seed and lost to Victoriaville in 7 games in the first round, still mad at that lol.

Draft time comes around and I go 2nd round, 38th overall to Colorado. Pretty stoked at that so I can play with MacKinnon at some point even though the fact I went in the 2nd round was weird but I'm used to that from 16.

Got to preseason to notice we picked Timothy Liljegren in the first round which I'm really happy about, will be a nice guy in a couple years. I end up with 9 assists in 6 preseason games and make the team out of camp. I took a look at my stats and noticed that I grew two inches and gained 15 pounds during the offseason which I was happy with.

I made my way up the lineup through the year pretty quickly and am on a line with MacKinnon and Landeskog. Currently tied with Schiefele and Giroux with 66 points so far this year even though I was hurt for about 6 or 7 games and have about 20 games left to go.

We went on a really good run in the middle of the season to put us near the top of the league and we made some moves to reflect that. We first picked up Dan Hamhuis for a couple B-level prospects and then grabbed Jason Pominville for a couple prospects and a draft pick.

Overall I can't complain a whole lot. I'm fairly happy with the gameplay and the customization aspect to it. I also enjoy that there is some realism in the type of transactions a contending team would make that were taking place.

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
This Sums It Up...

I recently moved, and have no access to broadband, so have been stuck playing offline. Haven't had much choice but to give NHL17 another go, and have played another couple weeks of BAP. It sucks donkey balls. I just had an experience that sums it up perfectly:

Defensive zone faceoff. I win it cleanly and perfectly back to d-man in front of the goalie. He slowly turns and shoots it perfectly between HIS OWN GOALIE'S PADS! I get a minus one, a knock for 'bad line defense', but here's the kicker...-20 for 'not covering the open man'!!!!! Was I supposed to knock my OWN defenseman off the puck???

I can't wait to get my broadband hooked up so I can go play something else. I hope other people are having more fun than I am.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
For me on PS4 it's crashed a couple of times just as I get to the bench and it's about to sim to next shift.

Instead of bringing up the scoreboard screen where it sims, it crashes. First time I was like "that sucks but I guess it was random" but then it happened again not too long after that.

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Crashing

For me on PS4 it's crashed a couple of times just as I get to the bench and it's about to sim to next shift.

Instead of bringing up the scoreboard screen where it sims, it crashes. First time I was like "that sucks but I guess it was random" but then it happened again not too long after that.

I hear you. It has crashed on me several times in the last two weeks I have been playing. I don't believe 16 ever crashed on me. Like one poster said, it's like the developers aren't even trying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad