Be a Pro Mode

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Played a bit of Be a Pro for the first time last night.

- The AI is unbearably bad. They make the mode not fun to play. Defence is extremely passive and let’s the opposing forwards waltz right in, and I’ll set my teammates up with glorious chances (I’m a RW playmaker) and they constantly flub it. I wanted to try to get a season where I score like 10-15 goals but get 80+ assists, but it’s impossible — my teammates can’t score and it’s too easy for you to score. I’ll throw the puck on net for a rebound and it’ll go in.

-The constant conversations with agents/media/teammates/management are annoying, repetitive, and add nothing.

-Why did they take out the ability for you to play full seasons in juniors? Way back in NHL 12 I had a Be a Pro that I loved because I started as a 16-year-old in the Dub and enjoyed a full junior career before the NHL. It was fun to build up a player’s legacy. Why would they take it out if it was in the old games? There’s no reason.

-Seems to me you can’t simulate the first two periods and join in the third like in past games. That sucks. I don’t have time to play full games constantly and I don’t necessarily want to play with the clock sped up either. Starting at the beginning of the third gave you a different scenario each time, why would they take that out?

-Just for shits and giggles, I played the Memorial Cup on semi-pro to see if I could get drafted first overall. I scored 22 points in four games and we won the Memorial Cup … but I still went second overall. Wtf? What does it take to go first?

-The draft order isn’t random enough. You’re pretty much guaranteed to go to Buffalo or Seattle because you’ll go in the top 2. So EVERY SINGLE TIME you start at the Memorial Cup, you already know who’s gonna draft you.

Overall, another fail by EA. I wish I could like Be a Pro more, I have lots of memories of it, but it’s pretty shit right now IMO. Back to Franchise mode, I guess.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Played a bit of Be a Pro for the first time last night.

- The AI is unbearably bad. They make the mode not fun to play. Defence is extremely passive and let’s the opposing forwards waltz right in, and I’ll set my teammates up with glorious chances (I’m a RW playmaker) and they constantly flub it. I wanted to try to get a season where I score like 10-15 goals but get 80+ assists, but it’s impossible — my teammates can’t score and it’s too easy for you to score. I’ll throw the puck on net for a rebound and it’ll go in.

-The constant conversations with agents/media/teammates/management are annoying, repetitive, and add nothing.

-Why did they take out the ability for you to play full seasons in juniors? Way back in NHL 12 I had a Be a Pro that I loved because I started as a 16-year-old in the Dub and enjoyed a full junior career before the NHL. It was fun to build up a player’s legacy. Why would they take it out if it was in the old games? There’s no reason.

-Seems to me you can’t simulate the first two periods and join in the third like in past games. That sucks. I don’t have time to play full games constantly and I don’t necessarily want to play with the clock sped up either. Starting at the beginning of the third gave you a different scenario each time, why would they take that out?

-Just for shits and giggles, I played the Memorial Cup on semi-pro to see if I could get drafted first overall. I scored 22 points in four games and we won the Memorial Cup … but I still went second overall. Wtf? What does it take to go first?

-The draft order isn’t random enough. You’re pretty much guaranteed to go to Buffalo or Seattle because you’ll go in the top 2. So EVERY SINGLE TIME you start at the Memorial Cup, you already know who’s gonna draft you.

Overall, another fail by EA. I wish I could like Be a Pro more, I have lots of memories of it, but it’s pretty shit right now IMO. Back to Franchise mode, I guess.

I went #22 to Washington. Probably helps that I started in the Champions Hockey League and my team got eliminated after two games (and I got kicked out my first shift of the second game for an auto fight)

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I wish they'd fix the "promises" to where if you get injured in the 1st shift of the game the coach didn't penalize you for not getting an assist.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
My goalie is 35 and a 96 overall but is still forced to play f*cking backup.. I don't understand why EA can't fix minor problems in their game. It drives me insane.

MBrodeur

Mar 30, 2022
I wish they'd fix the "promises" to where if you get injured in the 1st shift of the game the coach didn't penalize you for not getting an assist.

I also wish the game didn't force you to be the next Gretzky. If I'm a two-way defenseman I don't want to have to put up with constant challenges of putting up 3 points in a game.

In the playoffs I played for a team full of highly rated star forwards and offensive defensemen, my plan was to be the shutdown defenseman on the team but I was forced to score 2-3 points a game in order for us to win.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
NHL 25: They need to bring back the option of playing your CHL career. I haven't touched be a pro mode since NHL 20.
Yes and also rework the xp and training system its annoying trying to get wrist shot power up since they changed it, also there is no way to really improve your skating in game with the current leveling system you have to always put all hours into power skating. Maybe add training drills and practices like what fight night had or ufc's career mode with camps and etc... would make it so much more enjoyable than interviews and only playing games also all star skills comp winning could give your player a boost or something.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Its not happening guys , franchise and be a pro are dead because of HUT , it is what it is , 6s has been the only viable game mode in the game for a while now

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Its not happening guys , franchise and be a pro are dead because of HUT , it is what it is , 6s has been the only viable game mode in the game for a while now
Franchise stagnated and be a pro stripped everything down to bring back a feature they had in 14 the dialougue options are nice but let us start 3 years pre draft again and add in off season/training mini games same goes for franchise mode allow more control in development of players more than just plug and play in whatever role in whatever league if you don't send them back even than allow to assign junior training instructions. For example if I get a scoring prospect (ply/snp) I want to be allowed to have them hyper focus physical and shun all parts of their development and ruin them if I want kind of like when we had the letter grading system before they incorporated red, gold and green star system. Another thing for be a pro is the attribute attrition system feels unrewarding, allow me to accumulate xp from in game actions and it goes towards whatever skill group and I can spend my points on whatever attribute within the category also bringing up another thing is more attribute values like Shot release/quickness would effect animation duration and "initial pop" of the shot separate from shot power along with backhand sub attributes in the shooting category, puck handling speed(would only effect rs side to side) and something in skating mechanics like stride efficiency to reduce stamina used while skating and speed burst along with backwards skating category, and edges category that would effect transition ability and all around agility kind of like having a 2nd lateral attribute compared to spped and acceleration. I feel like a slight overhaul to attributes would make franchise interesting without any major improvements same fore be a pro and give players a more unique and individual feel instead of look.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I had Joe Bloughe in NHL 2021, power foward with the NYR.

Now I have Mason Brick, drafted by Seattle in NHL22. True to his name, he can't recieve a pass to save his life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad