Be A GM/Dynasty Thread 4: "Promising young rookies edition"

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Thinking of starting one of these myself. Not completely sure about the team yet though. Will possibly be one of Devils, Flyers, Sharks, Panthers, Stars, Blue Jackets or Hurricanes.

Sep 19, 2008
Just create one to play around with as they don't even have the true rosters out yet for a while

Seems okay but pro is pretty tough. Have to manipulate sliders to a somewhat playable level or else price gives up a goal in the slot two minutes in. And tokarski ugh... Still winless with Habs. But they do have 16 points and a 6-5-4 record. Third in Atlantic behind Detroit and Some other team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Henrik-Daniel-Sedin-2.jpg

DANIELPALFREDSSON'S VANCOUVER CANUCKS GM LOG POST 11: SEASON 3 PREVIEW
3-What Does The Lineup Look Like?
4-The biggest trade in modern NHL history?
5-Playoffs?
6-The Annual Off Season Mega Trade!
7-Get to know Vancouver's core and prospects
8-Season 2 Summary
9-Season 2 Playoffs
10-2016 NHL DRAFT+OFF SEASON
11-Free Agent Frenzy 2016

Jake-Virtanen.jpg

FUTURE WATCH

8476466.jpg

Sven Baertschi (24yo LW SNP 4.5R*) (Current OA=83/Last Year OA=83)
After his first full NHL season where he put up 22 goals and 44 points, Sven Baertschi cashed in on a 7 year 21.7M deal. Early in training camp it is apparent that Baertschi didn't make the progress the Canucks would have liked him to make over the summer, and there is some worry in the organization that what they saw from Baertschi last season might have been his ceiling which was scoring 22 goals while playing with a gifted playmaker like Henrik Sedin. If Baertschi can remain a 20/40 top 6 forward during the rest of his deal, it might not look too bad, but the Canucks are probably hoping he can become a perennial 30 goal scorer for them.

8477500.jpg

Bo Horvat (21yo C TWF 4*) (Current OA=85/Last Year OA=83)
Horvat had a solid sophomore year. His point totals dipped slightly, but he scored a few more goals than the year before. He finished with 17 goals and 39 points in 82 games vs 15 goals and 44 points in his rookie year. Horvat has made considerable progress, and is rumoured to be in line to be the next captain of the Canucks next year if the Sedins retire. Horvat will likely become the Canucks long term 2C, logging the harder minutes behind the more offensive minded Galchenyuk, but he is still a dark horse candidate to take over the team's 1C spot next year.

8476851.jpg

Alex Galchenyuk (22yo C PLY 4*) (Current OA=85/Last Year OA=85)
Galchenyuk stepped up and had a statistical improvement after joining the Canucks. He increased his point total from 46 to 54. With 4.5 shooting, 5 puck skills, and 87 offensive awareness, Galchenyuk is coming along as a forward. He failed to make any major gains in his overall, and likely won't so long as he is stuck playing 2nd line C time behind Henrik Sedin. With Sedin at 3 white stars and 36 years old, could Galchenyk see himself leapfrog over the ageing Swede and be the team's 1st line centre by the end of the season?

8477937.jpg

Jake Virtanen (20yo LW SNP 4*) (Current OA=80/Last Year OA=75?)
Virtanen took a huge leap during his last year in the CHL, and now has a realistic chance to crack the Canucks lineup at the age of 20. Canucks management consider Virtanen the heir apparent of Daniel Sedin as the team's top scoring threat on the wing. Despite being NHL ready, the Canucks could opt to start Virtanen out in the AHL where he'd see first line offensive minutes.

thumb_1427818339007_280282.jpg

Brock Boeser (19yo RW SNP 4*) (Current OA=72/Last Year OA=69?)
Boeser still has another year of CHL eligibility before he can be assigned to Vancouver's AHL squad. The Canucks are happy with his progress thus far, and although it is too early to tell, if he continues at this pace, an NHL career should be in his future.

Other notable prospects
Hunter Shinkaruk: The 21yo LW has stagnated, and the Canucks seem to be mulling over whether or not to use him as a trade chip going forward. He still has some value, and has been a very strong AHL player during the last two years putting up two straight 20/60 seasons. But he's yet to show he can take that next step, and Vancouver has a wealth of high end young wingers fighting for spots on the team.

-Cole Cassels: Cassels was ahead of the curve last year but hasn't shown much growth since then. His NHL future is in question.

home81.jpg

TEAM CORE

8467876.jpg
8467876.jpg

The Sedins
Both are 36 years old. They've dropped slightly in overall but are still 87 and 86. Henrik has gone down to 3 white star while Daniel is at 3.5 white star, meaning they both might regress during the season. Despite having two years left on their deals, this will likely be the Sedins last shot at the cup as they are at a very high risk to retire at the end of the season.

8468085.jpg

Radim Vrbata
After putting up 37 goals in 2016, Vrbata just signed a team friendly two year 3.75M deal to stay with the Canucks. With Vrbata dropping to 3 white stars during the pre-season, he could regress during the season, and the odds of him repeating are low. Vrbata is likely to retire at the end of the year, but with term on his deal, that isn't a guarantee.

h47kV4n.jpg

Brandon Sutter
Sutter took a tremendous step back in season two. Forced to play RW rather than centre, Sutter's goal total dropped all the way from 26 to a mere 12. His points dropped, but not nearly as drastically from 50 to 42. Worse, Sutter's 5 year 4.375M contract has just kicked in. With the acquisition of Silfverberg during the off season, expect Sutter to settle in on the third line.

8475164.jpg

Jakob Silfverberg
Silfverberg has joined the Canucks from their rival Anaheim Ducks via a 7 year 4.7M per offer sheet. The Canucks have Silfverberg pencilled in as a long term top 6 player on the right side. He might find himself playing on the first line if Vrbata falters early on.

8470607.jpg

Brent Seabrook
The 31 year old Seabrook joined Vancouver at the trade deadline and was solid for them until going down with an injury during the playoffs. With Hamhuis walking, Seabrook's willingness to sign an extension saved the Canucks. But with his contract being 7 years long, and Seabrook already being 31, the big question will be how long can Seabrook hold up.....and when will the buyout happen? As of now, Seabrook is the Canuck's franchise top 2 defender.

8475176.jpg

Ryan Ellis
Ellis has yet to break out as the Canucks have hoped, but he has been a solid top 4 defender whose been forced to play above his role on the top 2 pairing. Ellis will have a new challenge this season, as the acquisition of Seabrooke and departure of Hamhuis will force him to play on the left side of the top pairing, which is his off side. If Ellis cannot overcome that challenge, the Canucks will have to consider finding a top pairing LD else where.

8475883.jpg

Frederik Andersen
After seeing what he could do playing against him in the playoffs two years in a row, The Canucks couldn't turn down an opportunity to acquire Frederik Andersen via free agency. Andersen was a costly acquisition, as he signed for 7 years at 6.66M per. Andersen has averaged a .922 save percentage of the last two seasons as the Ducks starter. Not only that, he's played 44 playoff games combined in the last two years. In 2015, he had a .931 save percentage in the playoffs, and in 2016 where the Ducks won the Stanley Cup, he had a .913 save percentage. Andersen is a big piece of the Canuck's puzzle going forward, and he'll face a massive challenge as he will have to play behind a fragmented Canucks defense this season.

PROJECTED LINEUP
Sedin SNP 86-Sedin PLY 87-Vrbata SNP 84
Baertschi SNP 83-Galchenyk PLY 85-Silfverberg SNP 84
Horvat TWF 85-Sutter TWF 84-Downie GRN 83
Kenins TWF 78-Colborne PWF 80-Hansen GRN 81
(X) D'Amgio RW TWF (78)

Edler TWD 86-Seabrook DFD 88
Chelios TWD 79-Ellis OFD 86
Benoit TWD 79-Petrovic DFD 84
(X) Pateryn RDFD (80)

Andersen HYB 87
Neuvirth HYB 85

LINEUP PREVIEW
The “Apple Sauce” line is back together, but Vancouver's coaching staff will likely be keeping a close eye on the Sedins to see if given their age they manage to hold up throughout the year.

The Canucks have put together an exciting second line with newly signed Jakob Silfverberg joining Bartschi and Galchenyuk.

Horvat has had to shift to left wing on the third line, but he's been assured it is a temporary move that will likely last one season at most. Sutter is back to C, and Downie will occupy the right side of that line.

The departure of Hamhuis has thrown a wrench into Vancouver's defensive pairs. Early in the pre-season, Ellis was playing his offside, but the Canucks ended up settling on Edler playing on the top pairing. The big surprise of training camp was unsigned college free agent Jake Chelios making the team. Chelios is a smooth skating two way defender with a great first pass, but his hockey IQ on both sides of the ice leaves something to be desired.

New acquisition Petrovic will carry the bottom pairing with free agent signing veteran Andre Benoit.

UP NEXT: SEASON 3 SUMMARY

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Have any of you guys ever seen a player go from 4.5 yellow star potential to 4.5 green?

In my second season of my current BAGM, after my team got dropped from the playoffs, I sent Barkov down to help my AHL team in the playoffs where he dominated scoring 25 pts in 19 games. They lost in game 7 of the finals, but when I checked my progress reports, I noticed he'd shot up from 85 to 88 overall. Some of it was statistical growth, but most of it natural. Because of this, I didn't hesitate to give him a huge 8-year contract. Enter preseason, and as I'm editing my lines, I check his player info and boom, all of a sudden, 4.5 green stars. I've never seen this happen before. Player growth has seemed entirely random throughout the BAGM's I've done so far (ie: a player selected 6th overall comes into the league at 84 overall and scores 41 goals in his rookie season only to remain at 84 through his entire career), so now I'm wondering if there might actually be some sort of method to this madness.

Last edited:

NewAgePilon

Oct 2, 2015
I've noticed it too. It happens all the time on Xbox 1 NHL16. I read something from EA that said that potentials are randomized every year depending on the year that the player had, what kind of linemates he had etc. I don't know why EA does this. You can have a first overall pick that is Medium Elite potential who over the next 3 years can randomly drop to low bottom 6. Like WTF

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Going to move either Arizona to seattle, or Carolina to Quebec... Leaning on Arizona... But Domi, Duclair, OEL and then my guys... Just unfair. I want to build from scratch but man OEL is tempting.

Going to have a back story around 4 players, and make them my core. Also going to adopt some of Alfie's rules.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Not sure where this belongs but I'm trying to set up a 4 person league for lunch breaks and after hours at work and none of the game modes seem to fit what I'm looking for. If we each pick a team to control in season mode, we'll only play each other a handful of times per season. I considered making a tournament with a long round robin setting, but that's limited to 7 games. We're looking to play on a single console so GM connected doesn't seem to work. Anyone here ever set something like this up?

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Is there any settings or sliders i can change to affect the point scoring on simming through a season? 2 years in and art ross winner has 80 pts, Crosby got 60 pts. I know scoring is down but i would like to see all the superstar players getting 80-100 pts.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Not sure where this belongs but I'm trying to set up a 4 person league for lunch breaks and after hours at work and none of the game modes seem to fit what I'm looking for. If we each pick a team to control in season mode, we'll only play each other a handful of times per season. I considered making a tournament with a long round robin setting, but that's limited to 7 games. We're looking to play on a single console so GM connected doesn't seem to work. Anyone here ever set something like this up?

create your own schedule (or do it online) and then just quickplay the games

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
So does Morale affect anything to do with Simulating? There was times in the Playoffs I did the team meeting and didn't 'please' everyone and after that my team went down hill and eventually lost. Maybe just a coincidence, but wondering is Morale affects Simulation.

And then to back that point/question up, I filled my team with confidence within the Team Meeting and then they went out and smoked the opponent.

Last edited:

SuperGM17

Jun 17, 2015
British Columbia
So does Morale affect anything to do with Simulating? There was times in the Playoffs I did the team meeting and didn't 'please' everyone and after that my team went down hill and eventually lost. Maybe just a coincidence, but wondering is Morale affects Simulation.

And then to back that point/question up, I filled my team with confidence within the Team Meeting and then they went out and smoked the opponent.

It seems as though it actually does affect the simulation!

NewAgePilon

Oct 2, 2015

Yea, it totally does affect the sim. You have to be careful so you don't screw your team over in the playoffs

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
which is why I NEVER hold a team meeting in the ploffs. it's just too risky to do, so i hold off on the big team one. if individual players wanna meet, sure no prob.

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
Well, I spent the weekend adjusting the '15 rosters (doubt I got all the player trades right though) and tweaking some of the prospects. I even added in Auston Matthews while Jaromir Jagr stumbled upon a time machine post-retirement and will be eligible to be drafted in year 3.

Because hey, we all know EA should make him play for the entire 25 year period for the game and lock him off so he can't drop below an 82 or something since he's going to play forever :laugh:

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
When does the draft lottery take place? Been simulating 4 times from the end of regular season (owning 30th team 1st pick) and have been ending up picking third overall every time.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
:sabres

Buffalo Sabres

Season 2014-15

Thought it would be fun to share my save and what's going to happen. I use NHL 15 and the standard roster that was there during the release of the game.

As we all know, since we are in the future the Sabres weren't the best team last seasons. They lacked in all departments and as a GM something needs to be done, simply because i think the youth we got, with Sam Reinhart as the blue-chipper we already can start and try building a good team, since the seasons will go on and the promising young talents will become ready for making a difference for the Sabres. Since it's the standard roster, a lot of players who left are still there and it will be fun to create an alternative scenario of how the team will look like in the game compared to in real life.

Upon analyzing the team and what's needed, i thought the team had two many centers and a lack of winger. I wanted a speedy winger and i wanted to get some veteran-precense at center aswell. So first we traded for a player with Sabres-connection, Nathan Gerbe was traded from Carolina in exchange for the odd-man out Torrey Mitchell who didn't have a roster spot, together with prospect Justin Bailey to make the trade go through. Gerbe had a good first seasons with the Sabres but ended up leaving them, but i think he can do good again.

Then i didn't like the idea of Chris Stewart on the team, simply not a good morale player. So he was traded to Minnesota who had the room for his salary and wanted him. In exchange we got a helluva deal, offensive defenseman Jared Spurgeon who can contribute now and for years to come. But not only that, but a 4th round pick aswell. Great trade for us, since it made it possible to have Ennis on the wing, made up some salary-cap space and gave us a promising young defenseman.

The last move made for the team before this season was an another familiar face in Buffalo. It was former first-line center Derek Roy who joined the team from free-agent. It's an experiment as Roy haven't lightened the world on fire lately, but he has experience needed for the team and he's a decent center, which i think is needed amongst our young crop of centers.

Trades
:canes
Torrey Mitchell (C), Justin Bailey (RW)
Nathan Gerbe (LW)
||
:wild
Chris Stewart (RW)
Jared Spurgeon (D), 4th round pick (2015)

Free Agents-signings
Derek Roy (C)|1 year 2.620 Mn Dollar

So the starting lineup for the year has been set and the goal is 37 wins. I doubt it, but i hope we can reach it. Here is how the lineup will look like:

Starting Lineup
M. Moulson SNP 86|C. Hodgson PLY 84|D. Stafford TWF 84 (VC)
M. Foligno PWF 81|D. Roy PLY 83|T. Ennis PLY 82
N. Gerbe SNP 81|Z. Girgensons TWF 80|B. Gionta SNP 82 (C)
M. Ellis TWF 76|C. McCormick GRN 76|P. Kaleta GRN 75 (VC) Reserves |J. Larsson SNP 78| L. Adam TWF 76
J. Gorges DFD 85|T. Myers TWD 85
A. Meszaros TWD 83|J. Spurgeon OFD 83
M. Weber DFD 80|R. Ristolainen TWD 79
Reserve |A. Sulzer TWD 78
M. Neurvirth HYB 85
J. Enroth HYB 82

Let's Go Sabres!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I am probably done with logs for a while. Just don't really enjoy doing them as much, and with the hockey season starting, more of my free time is going to watching hockey as opposed to playing PS3. Such is life.

I did crack into GM mode last night and simmed through four or five seasons of "Time Traveling" Gretzky. I used the same up to date roster I used for the Van log, except I moved Wayne Gretzky from the legends team to Arizona.

What happens when you do that, is the GM mode automatically recognizes him as being 18 years old, except he doesn't have an ELC deal so he asks for 8-10 million up front.

I started at draft day just for fun. This was the "2014" draft but was filled with inflated EA prospects because the real life 2014 guys were already taken. We took some Finnish goalie 12th overall who turned out to be 4.5*. In the second round, we took Hugli (70oa 4*) and some Swedish power forward named Johanssen (4*). Both could potentially be line mates for Greztky.....

I made a trade in an attempt to find Gretzky a scorer to play with as well as solidify my defense.....I sent Boedker (87 4*) to Ottawa packaged with Michalek for Hoffman (83oa 4*) and Cowen (82oa 4.5R*).

Hoffman had a strong season alongside Gretzky with 20+goals and 60 points. Doan initially started as Gretzky's RWer, but the two failed to find chemistry, so he was demoted to the third line while Steve Downie stepped up and provided some much needed sand paper on the first line.

Reider had a breakout year. Despite only being 77 oa and 2.5* he put up 25 or so goals on the right side of the second line alongside Martin Hanzal.

Gretzky had a strong 18yo year and established himself as a star who was a tier below the top players in the league. He was something like PPG and 40+ goals. Jagr was added at the deadline and Doan was dealt. On the back of his strong play, the Coyotes made an unlikely run to the conference final where they lost in 6 games to (I think Edmonton, don't remember).

We managed to snag a 3.5G* Russian defender late in the first round.

The second year, the Coyotes came back down to earth and struggled. Early in the season, the team traded for Iginla but it didn't help. Iginla, and Downie along with a few other UFAs were moved at the deadline for futures. Aging starting goalie Mike Smith was sent to Edmonton for UFA goalie Cam Talbot. After Talbot refused an extension with the Coyotes, he was quickly flipped to Florida for Petrovic (RDFD 83oa 3.5G).

Despite finishing near the bottom of the league, Gretzky had a 60 goal 120 point season and swept almost every possible award. He is now the biggest name in the NHL. Hoffman has been okay on his wing, but the Coyotes have yet to find Gretzky adequate wingers to play to his strengths.

Come the entry draft, the Coyotes drafted 7th and 30th (TBL's pick obtained at the deadline). In a blockbuster move, Dylan Strome was traded to the Devils for the 4th overall pick which netted the Coyotes Auston Mathews. Strome was already 80oa at the age of 19, making this a very controversial trade. The Devils get an NHL ready centre which is why they do it, the Coyotes take a risk to get their highly marketable home town hero.

This off season was the one where the Coyotes finally found Gretzky wingers who played to his strengths. First, they signed UFA Milan Lucic to a 5 year 6.5M per deal with the intention of him carrying the left side of Gretzky's line.

In a highly controversial trade, top Arizona prospect Max Domi was sent to the Islanders for the trouble maker Joshua Ho-Sang who was taken 30th overall.....both players were in the low 80's and Max Domi's value as considered to be higher than Ho-Sang's, but Arizona's GM saw a RWer who would be skilled enough to play with Gretzky in Ho-Sang. The Coyotes were very deep at LW, and Domi would have had to leap frog both Hoffman and Lucic.

In the next two years, Ho-Sang became a PPG player and with his absurd production leaching off Gretzky he sky rocketed to 91 overall despite only being 4* potential.

The Coyotes had two straight years where Gretzky continued to sweep every award imaginable, but without a true starting goalie, the team failed to live up to their potential. They were waiting for their Finnish 12th overall pick to finally become NHL ready.

That's where I left off/impromptu GM log.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad