Be A GM/Dynasty Thread 4: "Promising young rookies edition"

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
2015 NHL Entry Draft
NHL_2015Draft_PrimaryMarkEnglish.jpg

Here we are, draft day. Where dreams will come true for some and be shattered for others.

We know the order, we know the first 2 picks, what we don't know is the rest of the story.

Ray Ferraro here from Fox Sports Michigan, joined by Chris Chelios and Tim Burke to provide you with live coverage of the 2015 NHL entry draft.

Every year we have have story lines of a kid or 2 who falls down the ranks. Well this year we have have more then one. Let's take a minute to talk about Daniel Sprong.
Daniel-Sprong-3.jpg

Chris what's your take on him ? "He's a guy who's rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in his interviews, he's not a bad, he's highly talented and he speaks his mind, think Josh Ho-Sang. He's certainly on the no-draft list for a couple teams, but he should go in the first round." -Chris Chelios

Ray, thoughts ? "I'd agree with Chris, he speaks his mind." -Rat Ferraro

Let's talk about the biggest story of this draft, it's not Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, no it's Dante Giroux.

Giroux has been the centre of controversy since he was 14 and things are getting worse. This year he was cut from the Canadian WJC team, in favour of a female player, the first to make the men's team. He took to Twitter to accuse the coach and her of having inappropriate relations, and made offensive remarks on Twitter. Now this earned him a 15 game suspension. It wasn't his only suspension, he was also suspended for bullying at school. His stat line remains impressive, 50 games, 50 goals, 73 assists, 123 points. However there's talk only 1 team interviewed him at the draft, and that he will not get picked in the first round despite being a top 5 talent.

Any thoughts on this gentlemen ?
2012-08-07-02-31-56-web%20caps%20trask.jpg

Ray: This kid is.... I can't put it into words. He's an ass.
Chris: He's got no respect for others or for his teammates, it's really disgusting. He keeps getting in trouble and causing problems, I can't believe he still even has a team to play for.
Ray: He's done with hockey Canada, they don't want anything to do with him. He's blacklisted from every team they have.
Chris: The biggest waste of talent I've ever seen. He's naturally gifted and he wants to piss people off and be a pest. I pity the team that will draft him

Some choice words. Do we expect the Wings to be busy today ?

Ray: yes, our inside sources say they'd like to move up and have a target in mind. Also told the D Jonathan Ericsson and C Stephen Weiss are on the block, let's see what happens.

Chris: Detroit apparently really likes D Zach Werenski and will attempt to move up to grab him. Cap space is an issue right now so look for the Wings to be active.

Thanks gentlemen, let's get things underway.

Gary Bettman: Welcome to Sunrise Florida for the 2015 NHL entry draft, the Dallas Stars have the 1st pick, and I would like to welcome them to the floor to kick things off.

1: Dallas selects Connor McDavid
2: Winnipeg selects Jack Eichel
3: Arizona selects Noah Hanifin
4: New Jersey selects Travis Konecy
5: Washington selects Ivan Provorov

Toronto selects Zach Werenski with the 21st selection, Flyers up next.

Wings and Flyers talking. Lidstrom signals the floor. Hearing the Wings have acquired the 22nd pick.

Chelios: They'll take Svechnikov or Meloche here.

Ferraro: Could be Zboril.

Here's the trade:
Trades
To PHI
Round 1 #29
Round 3 #73

To Detroit
Round 1 #22

Lidstrom walks up on stage. With the 22nd overall selection, oh and we'd like to say hi to our fans at our draft party in Detroit and congratulate the Blackhawks on winning the cup. We're going to win it soon. So enjoy it now. Where was I ? (Crowd laughs) Oh yes. With the 22nd overall selection the Detroit Red Wings select, from Moncton of the QMJHL, Dante Giroux.

Chelios: What the **** ?
Ferraro: This is an awful pick
Burke: How are guys like Datstuk and Zetterberg going to feel when this kid walks into their training camp ?
Ferraro: Lidstrom has gone crazy, I know they wanted high end talent but this kid is nuts.
Chelios: This kid will disgrace the franchise for years. And he won't even be on the team. Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg must be furious right now.

Certainly a shocking pick, we'll get Lidstrom and Giroux up here for an interview momentarily.

Before we continue we'd like to inform our viewers that the Red Wings have been busy, making multiple trades.

Trades

To CBJ
D Jonathan Ericsson 84OVR 31 4W 6yr 4.25M

To Detroit
2nd round #42
RW Nick Moutrey 66OVR 19 3G 3yr 750k
24640_1390430511121.jpg

Chris: A cap clearing move, but also one that opens a roster spot for Xavier Ouellette who's a very promising young defenceman.

To Buffalo
C Stephen Weiss 84OVR 32 4W 3.5W 4yr 4.9M

To Detroit
Round 2 #42
RW Justin Bailey 70OVR 19 3.5R 3yr 700k

Ray: Another cap clearing move in a sense, also opens up a roster spot for Riley Sheahanan, and means that Darren Helm will get more ice.

To PHI
Round 4 #119
Round 5 #127

To Detroit
Round 4 #96

Lidstroms other trades are probably because the Wings are targeting certain players.

So as part of our draft coverage, we have an exclusive interview with Detroit's first round pick Dante Giroux, and GM Nick Lidstrom.

Chris Chelios: Nick, busy day for you, good to see you again.
Ray Ferraro: Nick hope all is well, good seeing you again.
Tim Burke: Nick thanks for joining us:
Lidstrom: Anytime gentlemen, let's gets started.

Ferraro: I'll be blunt, why Giroux ?
Lidstrom: He's a dynamic hockey player, a game changer and he fits the on ice qualities of what we're looking for.

Chelios: Why not Daniel Sprong, another high end talent ?
Lidstrom: No comment, that's tampering.

Burke: Dante, you've been in and out of the news since you were 14. You had 1 team interview you, do you think you have an attitude problem ? You teammates in Moncton reportedly hate you, and you're about to be traded off the team to your hometown Q team where Joel Bouchard has said this is it for you. What do you have to say ?

Lidstrom: Burkie the personal attacks stop now.
Giroux: Well I'd say what you've heard about me is true. I'm the problem, not my teammates. I haven't gotten along with many coaches either, and I don't have many friends. When it comes to teammates, I think the only friend I have in Moncton is Connor Garland, he's our captain so I guess it's his job to deal with me. Great guy though.

Ray: In the past you would attack people in the media when you didn't get your way. I have a hard time believing that you get drafted and all of sudden you're openly admitting you're the problem.
bilde

Lidstrom: I'm going to jump in here, one more from either of you, and this interview is done. We believe that Dante has gotten his wake up call and understood that he needs to change his ways.
Giroux: Joel Bouchard called me the other day, and he told me we're trading for you. At first I laughed and he said to me, you're only fetching a conditional 2nd round pick. It's conditional on you making our team. I laughed again, then he said. This is your last chance to be something, I've played in the NHL and you won't get anywhere near it with your attitude. It ends now or else you'll find yourself playing Jr.C, and if you don't believe that try me. So I brushed it off, the combine came and went and 1 team brought me in for questions and when I got in there it was Detroit and it was Henrik Zetterberg who got up and said I don't want to hear this guy's crap. At that point Nick told him to sit down, and I thought to myself, this is it. I'm in the room with 4 NHL legends, these guys want to hear me talk and it all hit me fast. They I got asked why they should draft me, and at that point I just cut the crap and told the truth.

Ray: What's your plan for next year ?
Giroux: Win the memorial cup with Blainville-Boisbriand.

Chris: Nick, how much faith do you have in Dante ?
Nicklas: A ton, he gave us honest answers and he convinced all of us. Me, Tomas, Pavel, Jeff (Blashill) and Hank.

Tim: Well we wish you the best of luck.
Nick: Thanks
Dante: Thanks

2015 NHL Draft Recap Detroit Red Wings

Round 1
22nd LW Dante Giroux 77OVR 17 5R Moncton QMJHL

Round 2
41st D Oscar Steen 66OVR 18 4G Farjestads SHL
42nd G Johan Steen 61OVR 18 4G Farjestads SHL

Round 3
69th C Roope Hintz 63OVR 18 4Y Illves FEL

Round 4
92nd G Samuel Montembeault 59OVR 18 4Y Blainville-Boisbriand Armada QMJHL
98th RW Connor Garland 75OVR 19 4.5R Moncton Wildcats QMJHL
118th D Bryan Allbee 49OVR 17 4R Chicago Steel USHL

Round 5
149th D Filip Pyrochta 59OVR 19 3.5Y Sparta Jr CZE

Round 6
179th LW Mikael Johansson 69OVR 19 3.5Y Frolunda SHL

Round 7
D Sebastian Aho 66OVR 19 3Y Timra SHL

Last edited:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012

And this is why I got the Legacy Edition as a 'back-up plan'. Although GM Mode looks neat for PS4, it'll get old, very fast. GM Mode on PS3 is an absolute staple and is as good as can be, even for being at the PS3 level.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If it sucks, when it comes to just simming and not actually playing in game, there'll always be NHL 13/14/15/Legacy GM mode which are the exact same aside from minor features. It is pretty easy to get updated rosters for 15, so there's zero point in buying Legacy just for offline GM mode when it is still 80 bucks or what ever absurd amount they are charging for it.

It is a good sign that they are actually improving the mode. Hopefully they don't just build a mode and then keep it the same for five years. Unless a PS4 somehow falls out of the sky, I'll wait until '17 or '18 comes out to decide whether to upgrade.

Hopefully by then they build a fun GM mode with more features, and they actually fix the game play where every player can't just pull the puck back and never be knocked off of it....or did they fix that already in next gen?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not even buying the PS4 now to get NHL 16. I'm going to wait until Christmas and get NBA 2k16 and WWE 2k16.

NBA... now THAT is a GM mode.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
If it sucks, when it comes to just simming and not actually playing in game, there'll always be NHL 13/14/15/Legacy GM mode which are the exact same aside from minor features. It is pretty easy to get updated rosters for 15, so there's zero point in buying Legacy just for offline GM mode when it is still 80 bucks or what ever absurd amount they are charging for it.

It is a good sign that they are actually improving the mode. Hopefully they don't just build a mode and then keep it the same for five years. Unless a PS4 somehow falls out of the sky, I'll wait until '17 or '18 comes out to decide whether to upgrade.

Hopefully by then they build a fun GM mode with more features, and they actually fix the game play where every player can't just pull the puck back and never be knocked off of it....or did they fix that already in next gen?

I'm also getting Legacy for EASHL to. That's also a staple, and if it's any indication that '15 EASHL lasted me all year and never really got boring, I'm sure Legacy will offer up the same entertainment, I played the Beta was good. But could get boring, also some of my EASHL teammates aren't upgrading, and that's why I got both.

I'm not even buying the PS4 now to get NHL 16. I'm going to wait until Christmas and get NBA 2k16 and WWE 2k16.

NBA... now THAT is a GM mode.

WWE2k16 supposed to be anything special? I bought WWE2k15 and literally played it twice? :shakehead | :laugh:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012

*Watch the first 5:00 for informative GM Mode news*

-----

3:34 --- a 95ovr F/A when starting up GM Mode

Just lettin' you know.

Last edited:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Make a wish probably

He isn't, lol. His Dad apparently bid on for his inclusion in the game. Regardless, I don't want some 95ovr F/A for anyone to sign in GM Mode.

GM Mode seams to be a mess in '16 for PS4., lol. Apparently Fehr and Semin aren't in the game, inless created/or moved from other Leagues.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm also getting Legacy for EASHL to. That's also a staple, and if it's any indication that '15 EASHL lasted me all year and never really got boring, I'm sure Legacy will offer up the same entertainment, I played the Beta was good. But could get boring, also some of my EASHL teammates aren't upgrading, and that's why I got both.

WWE2k16 supposed to be anything special? I bought WWE2k15 and literally played it twice? :shakehead | :laugh:

Big big big roster. Biggest ever. They haven't released much on the career mode, but I hope they actually added cutscenes and whatnot to it. From the gameplay I've seen, the matches also seem more realistic.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
He isn't, lol. His Dad apparently bid on for his inclusion in the game. Regardless, I don't want some 95ovr F/A for anyone to sign in GM Mode.

GM Mode seams to be a mess in '16 for PS4., lol. Apparently Fehr and Semin aren't in the game, inless created/or moved from other Leagues.
Ah it's for a good cause. Can always move him or edit him and make him irrelevant.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Big big big roster. Biggest ever. They haven't released much on the career mode, but I hope they actually added cutscenes and whatnot to it. From the gameplay I've seen, the matches also seem more realistic.

I always loved the 'Road To Wrestlemania' mode. That's about it. :laugh:

Ah it's for a good cause. Can always move him or edit him and make him irrelevant.

Good 'cause? EA making more money? If it was make-a-wish it's obviously important but just some kid who wants some attention so he gets his Daddy to get him in a video game? Just seams like EA trying to take advantage of trying to make that extra dollar....

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I always loved the 'Road To Wrestlemania' mode. That's about it. :laugh:

Good 'cause? EA making more money? If it was make-a-wish it's obviously important but just some kid who wants some attention so he gets his Daddy to get him in a video game? Just seams like EA trying to take advantage of trying to make that extra dollar....
Didn't the video say it was going to charity? Unless I misheard it..

EDIT: Yeah. It was all part of a donation to the Make a Wish foundation.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Off-Season Report 2015

Awards
Stanley Cup Chicago BlackHawks
Presidents Trophy Los Angeles Kings
Clarence S.Campbell Bowl Chicago Black Hawks
Prince of Wales Trophy Detroit Red Wings
Art Ross Trophy Steven Stamkos
Hart Memorial Trophy Steven Stamkos
James Norris Trophy Erik Karlsson
Lady Byng Trophy Henrik Zetterberg
Calder Memorial Trophy Mike Hoffman
Conn Smythe Trophy Corey Crawford
Vezina Trophy Carey Price
William Jennings Trophy Jonathan Quick /Martin Jones
Bill Masterton Trophy Ron Hainsey
Frank J.Selke Pavel Datsyuk
Ted Lindsay Award Steven Stamkos
Maurice Richard Trophy Alexander Ovechkin

Most of the turnover the Red Wings will experience is at the minor league level, except that long time Red Wing Daniel Cleary will not be back.

Players Leaving
C Andy Miele 26 76OVR 2.5
C Louis-Marc Aubry 23 70OVR 2.5
C Julis Vahatalo 20 65OVR 2.5R
LW Daniel Cleary 36 80OVR 3W
LW Kyle Porter 29 78OVR 3W
RW Erik Cole 36 82OVR 3.5W
RW Stanislav Galiev 23 66OVR 2.5R
D Tyson Strachan 30 76OVR 2.5W
D Tommy Cross 25 70OVR 2.5R
D Patrick Wey 24 69OVR 2.5R
D Marc McNulty 20 67OVR 2.5Y
D Mitchell Wheaton 20 65OVR 3Y
G Jonas Gustavsson 30 82OVR 3.5Y
G Troy Grosenick 25 69OVR 2.5Y

Gustav Nyquist and Mike Green were the big free agents who opted to stay in Detroit long term.
Re-Signings
C Darren Helm 25 85OVR 3.5W 4yr
2.5M
C Joakin Andersson 26 80OVR 3.5Y 1yr 800k
C Axel Holmstrom 18 68OVR 3Y 1yr 550k
LW Gustav Nyquist 25 87OVR 4.5G 8yr 5.75M
LW Connor Brickley 23 75OVR 2.5G 1yr 650k
RW Tomas Jurco 22 81OVR 4Y 1yr 1.1M
RW Landon Ferraro 23 75OVR 3.5R 1yr 700k
D Mike Green 29 87OVR 4.5W 4yr 5M
D Brendan Smith 26 82OVR 4Y 3yr 2.5M
D Kevin Gravel 23 75OVR 3.5G 2yr 700k
G Petr Mrazek 23 82OVR 4Y 3yr 1.2M

The Wings were relatively quiet in the free agent market, bolstering their offence by signing Williams and adding to their prospect pool with the DeLuca and Knorr signings.
FA Signing
LW Anthony DeLuca 20 73OVR 3.5R 3yr 550k
RW Justin Williams 33 86OVR 3.5W 3yr 4.7M
G Thortsen Knorr 20 69OVR 4R 3yr 550k

2015-2016 Detroit Red Wings
Zetterberg(91)-Datsyuk(94)-Jagr(87)
Nyquist(88)-Tatar(87)-Franzen(86)
Sheahan(82)-Helm(85)-Williams(85)
Abdelkader(82)-Andersson(81)-Jurco(83)

Kronwall(89)-Green(87)
Quincey(84)-Kindl(83)
Smith(83)-Ouellet(81)

Howard(89)
Mrazek(84)

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The Avalanche just swapped Elliot with Arizona for Gormley. That's a pretty sweet NHL gm trade.

I don't remember Elliot's potential, I think it is pretty low, but Gormley always seems to boom in GM mode.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
They're never make-a-wish kids. Their rich daddies literally bid on getting them in the game.

The entire hockey world is based on people's rich daddies paying for them to excel in a sport that costs 10's of thousands a year. So this seems like an appropriate move by EA.

badams326

Apr 17, 2014
Player progression is insane in this game. Jacob Chychrun just grew from a 63 to 81 in one season.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I'm going at a slower pace than I have in the past since I'm not playing as much GM mode. If I'm simming 1-2 season a week, what do you guys prefer reading?

One big post the size of my usual updates, or each season broken up into multiple posts added once every day or two. Meaning, one day might be the draft, the next day might be free agents/trades, the next day might be prospect pool summary. So a bunch of short reads.

I'm leaning towards trying the shorter form. It makes very little difference to me as I usually have everything written up by the time I post and it is just copy and pasting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad