Be A GM/Dynasty Thread 4: "Promising young rookies edition"

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
So I'm running NHL 15 (PS3) with added players and heavy player edits. I did a fantasy draft with the Blues, drafting with an eye toward getting players I hadn't played with before. Simmed a season to bring me to the 15-16 season.

Domi/Bergeron/Hossa
E.Kane/Nugent-Hopkins/Tarasenko
Larkin/Jarnkrok/Burrows
Deslauriers/MacKenzie/Condra

Markov/S.Jones
Reilly/Bieksa
Jackman/Parayko

Hiller
Varlamov

During the regular season I played 8-10 games to get a feel for the team. The Nuge was my best offensive player, Tarasenko was disappointing, Domi/Larkin were solid but weren't amazing, and Reilly/Jones were fun to use to rush the puck.

Playoffs start against the Avs, and wow...just wow. Dylan Larkin is an absolute beast. I lose game 2 5-2, and Larkin gets first star with 2 goals. Game 3 was the most dominant game I've played with one player. If the puck wasn't in the offensive zone, Larkin would go and take it from whoever had it. The guy was absolutely everywhere. He was driving the play all night and finished with 4 points. My favorite part of the night was sticking Tarasenko (who has been awful) on his line, and a few shifts later Larkin finds him in the slot for Vlad's first goal of the series.

I'm down 0-1 in Game 4 with 6 or so minutes left. Larkin ties it with a roof snipe from the slot on a nice feed from Vlad. Next shift out Larkin takes a feed from Bergeron and puts it short side for the lead. He then added an empty net goal for the hat trick. 11 points in 4 games. 6 goals on 13 shots. It's so much fun playing this as it unfolds, I haven't had this much fun with a playoff series in a long time. As awesome as this I'm really excited for next season to see how his rating changes and if he keeps up this level of play.

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
Note to self; having previously used a custom team, check before starting a new GM mode or you'll end up with two lots of the same players :facepalm:

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
:sharks

Fired up a new one...this time having remembered to swap back my Halifax team with Carolina so they actually have the right team and not a Florida duplicate :blush:

Deciding to go into a rebuild stage, the following moves were made;

to CGY - J. Braun
to SJS - D. Wideman

The thinking being with an abundance of DFD's (Vlasic, Dillon and Hannan) and no OFD, coupled with Calgary's addition of Dougie, this made sense to me.

to FLA - P. Marleau
to SJS - J. Jagr, 1st (2015)

Wanting that first round pick because of the rebuild and the deep year 1 draft.

to OTT - J. Thornton
to SJS - M. Hoffman, 3rd (2015), 3rd (2016)

With Jagr being the sniper on the first line, and keeping Hertl as center, I was on the prowl for a winger playmaker.

FA signings - B. Richardson, S. Salo, D. Booth, K. Gravel...that took me up to the 50 signed player limit.

J. Pavelski - L. Couture - J. Jagr
M. Hoffman (82) - T. Hertl (84) - T. Wingels (83)
D. Booth - B. Richardson - R. Torres
J. Scott - A. Burish - M. Brown

M. Vlasic - B. Burns
B. Dillon (82) - D. Wideman
S. Hannan - S. Salo

M. Jones (84)
A. Stalock

We actually started off rather well, which didn't bode well for a high pick (injuries off during regular season). However, things started to turn and we ended up getting to the deadline sitting 3rd from bottom in our division (Vancouver and, somehow, Calgary below us). Knowing a playoff spot was gone, I made the choice to see if I could give Jaromir a chance for another Cup.

to LAK - J. Jagr, 3rd (2015), unsigned rookies
to SJS - V. Zykov (70, 4* at 19 y.o.)

With that trade, I promoted Matt Neito who was tearing it up in the AHL (up from an 80OA to 82 at the deadline) so the forward lines got shuffled a bit while the rest stayed the same.

T. Hertl - L. Couture - J. Pavelski
M. Hoffman - T. Wingels - D. Booth
M. Neito - B. Richardson - R. Torres
J. Scott - A. Burish - M. Brown

The team played decently, we lost a lot of games in OT or a shootout and we ended up 4th worst overall with a 31-40-11 record. LA went on to knock off Toronto for the Cup, leaving Jagr to go out on a high until his 18 year old reincarnation gets drafted in year two ;)

We won the draft lottery so that was nice. Going with what tends to be difficult for me to find, I elected to nab Hanifin which left McDavid a Canuck. Picked up Konecny with Florida's pick.

Seeing this as opportunity to build for the future, I also made moves to get Saad from Columbus (for Pavelski) and Faulk from Carolina (for Burns). Carolina made it to round 2 and Pavelski is an upgrade on Saad for the next couple of years so I think it works out for all involved.

So, heading into 2015/2016, the lineup looks like this (will add the overalls and 4th line C when I'm at home);

T. Hertl (SNP 86) - L. Couture (PLY 88) - B. Saad (TWF 84)
M. Hoffman (PLY 85) - T. Wingels (TWF 85) - M. Neito (TWF 84)
D. Booth (PWF 82) - B. Richardson (TWF 83) - B. Boyes (FA - SNP 82)
R. Torres (GRN 81) - M. Goc (FA - TWF 81) - A. Burish (GRN 80)

M. Vlasic (DFD 88) - J. Faulk (TWD 87)
M. Mueller (TWD 80) - D. Wideman (OFD 84)
B. Dillon (DFD 82) - D. Savard (picked up with Saad - TWD 81)

M. Jones (HYB 86)
A. Stalock (HYB 82)

Zykov grew to be 74OA and on the AHL team this season, Hanifin is 79 (4.5*) and in the CHL for another year. Mueller grew from a 78 last year.

Last edited:

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook

The team was playing well, but our stats were rather odd so I stopped the simulation after 40 games; 2.65GF, 1.85GA

No issues with the first and second lines (Hertl could do with scoring more goals, but he seems to be setting up Logan this season), so the lack of goals was from our depth.

Not wanting to move Nieto (can still grow) or Richardson (love his high faceoffs rating), Booth was the odd man out so I went to see who wanted him and what I could potentially get back.

to OTT - D. Booth (LW PWF, 82), 3rd (2017), E. Polei (unsigned rookie with a bit of trade value)
to SJS - A. Chiasson (RW PWF, 83)

I also spotted that Vancouver was not playing Nick Jensen so I decided to try to snag him up around the all-star break.

to VAN - 2nd (2016), a couple of AHLer's and two unsigned rookies with some trade value
to SJS - N. Jensen (RW SNP, 82)

Knowing that Jensen could replace Boyes, I then went to see if anyone wanted him and maybe be able to replace either the 2nd or 3rd I gave up...Boston could do that.

to BOS - B. Boyes (RW SNP, 82)
to SJS - 2nd (2017...with very low trade value for a 2nd, not sure why unless the Bruins have a beastly 2016/2017)

And finally, given our record at the deadline (37-19-5), I decided to make a splash with nabbing up a better backup; enter Toronto.

to TOR - A. Stalock (82), W. Hoflin (unsigned HYB, our 2015 3rd round pick, 70 at 21 y.o. with 4*)
to SJS - J. Reimer (84)

47-28-7 was good enough for 3rd in the division and a date with the Ducks in round 1. They destroyed us 4-1, three of the games went to OT though. Anaheim went on to beat Buffalo for the Cup in 6 games.

Main draft pick was the first rounder as no 2nd or 3rd this year - S. Mayor (RW PWF 4*, 70 at 20 y.o.)
Jagr Mk 2 went 7th overall to the Blues.

FA signings - K. Bieksa, B. Gordon

Made a couple of trades before the season starts.

to EDM - B. Richardson, V. Zykov (74 now), B. Dillon
to SJS - J. Eberle and M. Gernat

With Nieto growing yet again, I found myself in the position of having too many LW and/or C who shoot lefthanded. Edmonton wanted all the players in the trade and can put Yakupov on their first line RW now anyway.

to CAR - D. Savard, 6th (2017) 7th (2017) and an unsigned rookie
to SJS - 3rd (2017)

This one was simple; we had too many NHL ready d-men, Carolina didn't have enough. And while I did give him a qualifying offer, with the signing of Bieksa, he would have been used in the AHL squad.

Opening Night Lineup for 2016/2017:

M. Nieto (TWF 89) - L. Couture (PLY 88) - J. Eberle (SNP 86)
M. Hoffman (PLY 85) - T. Hertl (SNP 87) - B. Saad (TWF 85)
N. Jensen (SNP 83) - T. Wingels (TWF 83) - A. Chiasson (PWF 83)
R. Torres (GRN 80) - M. Goc (TWF 81) - B. Gordon (GRN 82)

M. Vlasic (DFD 88) - J. Faulk (TWD 85)
M. Mueller (TWD 83) - D. Wideman (OFD 84)
N. Hanifin* (OFD 83) - K. Bieksa (DFD 83)

M. Jones (HYB 87)
J. Reimer (HYB 84)

* indicates rookie

Management only want 39 wins, I want to get past round 1 of the playoffs this time :)

Last edited:

ThatNavyGuy

Mar 6, 2012
:flyers

At the trade deadline playing .500 hockey

Lost Mason for the season in early Feb.

Voracek and Brayden Schenn demanded trades(Because they were scratched due to not being fully recovered from their injuries..........:shakehead:shakehead

Was pretty busy around the deadline:

Voracek, Luke Schenn, Nick Cousins to WPG for N.Petan, N.Ehlers, JC Lipon and 2016 1st

B.Schenn, Tomek, Two 3rds to NSH for Trenin(Mid Top 6) and 2016 1st

Streit to DAL for 2016 2nd, 4th, and 6th

Andrew MacDonald to BOS for Adam McQuaid

Lines(off the top of my head)

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
Gagner-Couturier-Read
Bellemare-Laughton-Gagne
Umberger-Lecavalier-White

Del Zotto-Gudas
Medvedev-Hagg
Gostisbehere-McQuaid

Neuvirth-Lababerra

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
Started a GM with Toronto and I'm tanking like crazy just to get Auston Matthews. My roster lineup looks worse than Arizonas and STILL I'm 8-1-1 in the first games? (oh, and Arizona are 1-7-2)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Started a GM with Toronto and I'm tanking like crazy just to get Auston Matthews. My roster lineup looks worse than Arizonas and STILL I'm 8-1-1 in the first games? (oh, and Arizona are 1-7-2)

The game sims really inconsistently in short chunks, you can go 8-1-1 and then 1-9-0 or something. Everybody has had a team that looks like it is going to go 72-10 after the first 20 games and then finishes third in their division.

Overall also isn't the main factor in how teams sim. This is all observational, but things like combination of player types (SNP, PLY, GRN, etc), actual attributes, player handedness (IE do you have LDs playing LD, RD playing RD etc) all play a part in how well your team will sim.

An example of this is how different the results for your team can be just by altering lines. You can have a good team on paper that isn't winning because your line choices are bad.

Another example is that if you put more than one sniper on one line, you'll see one of their goal totals drop. Usually the one who isn't facing the handedness of the centre (IE, left hand centre usually faces RW). I am guessing this is because when the game sims, a SNP is more likely to take a shot when they have the puck. So putting two SNPs on one line lowers the chance for one of them to get the puck and shoot.

Overall is usually an indicator of if a player is better, but it doesn't really matter because there are individual attributes that will be more important for certain roles. A big example of this is I've had on multiple occasions players with high 70 overalls win the rocket richard trophy and put up 80-120 points because for a first line SNP, the three main stats that matter most are wrist acc/pow and off awareness.

So because development is broken, 5-10 years in you might find a sniper who is a free agent or tearing up the AHL (since the computer only uses OA to determine player usage) who has 99/99 wrist shot and 90+ o awareness who you can put on your first line in the NHL and they'll put up Ovechkin type numbers (but probably have a pretty bad plus/minus).

Where as on your fourth line or PK, an 80oa player with 5* d and very high d awareness will probably have better results than a higher overall sniper with 2 star physical and 2 star defense.

Sort of a tangent post....

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook

Again, the somewhat low GF numbers happened, but the team was playing fairly well, before finding their stride after the deadline where I chose to not make any moves (other than switching around Chiasson and Jensen, as well as putting Jensen on the PP which was a dismal 11%). Ended up with a 48-29-5 record, which was enough for 1st in the division and a clash against the Wild in round 1.

We lost Hanifin in game 3, but the team rallied to come back having been down 3-1 in the series. No goal standout, so it seemed to be Jones who put the team on his back to get us through. Calgary were up next and we got Noah back in time for game 3, then promptly lost Vlasic (2 months) and Nieto (2 weeks) and we got bumped out in game 6.

Calgary got to the SC final, but got beaten by the Rangers in 5.

Lost Torres and Bieksa to retirement so we'll be looking for replacements and with Tierney looking like being ready to go next year, signing just one of Goc and Gordon is on the cards as well.

Main draft picks:
25th overall - Tye Felhaber (C PLY, 64 at 19 y.o., 4*)
51st overall - Cale Fleury (TWD, 50 at 18 y.o., 4*)
55th overall - Evan Sarthou (HYB, 66 at 19 y.o., 3.5*)

I let Goc go in the end, resigning Gordon for a year.

FA signings - with no decent d-men in the pool this year, I went for Trevor Lewis who had very good defence stats...we'll see how this gamble pays off. Also, Toronto did not sign Hoflin during the time they had him so I picked him back up, therefore it ended up being Reimer for Stalock straight up pretty much.

Lineup for 2017/2018:

M. Nieto (TWF 89) - L. Couture (PLY 88) - J. Eberle (SNP 87)
M. Hoffman (PLY 85) - T. Hertl (SNP 86) - B. Saad (TWF 86)
A. Chiasson (PWF 82) - T. wingels (TWF 83) - N. Jensen (SNP 83)
C. Tierney* (TWF 81) - B. Gordon (GRN 81) - N. Moutrey* (GRN 77)

N. Hanifin (OFD 86) - M. Vlasic (DFD 88)
M. Mueller (TWD 84) - J. Faulk (TWD 85)
T. Lewis (TWF 82) - D. Wideman (OFD 83)

M. Jones (HYB 87)
J. Reimer (HYB 84)

* indicates rookie

Management want 40 wins and a playoff spot, let's find out how that goes...

Halfway through the season and we're scoring more goals, but our defence is letting them in at the same rate so I went to see what I could do to shore up our defence.

to DET - T. Lewis, unsigned rookie C PLY (Konechny and Felhaber are in front of that queue)
to SJS - B. Smith (82 TWD, 28 y.o.)

42-30-10 was enough for 3rd in the division, up against Edmonton in round 1. Alas, it seems we're still a ways away from being a serious threat as we got thumped 4-1 even with no injuries :(

Tampa ended up beating Chicago in 7 games to win the Cup. Our AHL team lost the Calder in 6 games so a nice run from those guys.

Last edited:

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook

No retirements for us this time around, although Wideman can't be too far away from it I'd reckon.

2018 Draft day:
18th overall - R. Smolenak (DFD 58, 18 y.o. 4*)
48th overall - M. Muller (TWD 68, 19 y.o. 3.5*)
78th overall - C. Sutter (OFD 75, 20 y.o. 4*)

Yeah, I loaded up on defence given I know that we'll lose Vlasic at some point in time and Wideman soon. Smolenak and Sutter are both right-handed and Sutter grew to a 77 by the start of the season so he's gone straight to the first line in the AHL team...could be my steal draft pick in this playthrough.

I decided to have a quiet FA and only picked up John Moore while releasing Chiasson and Gordon. The thinking being that while I have faith in my prospects making the jump to NHL next season, I didn't want to be caught and can therefore use either Moore or Wideman on the 4th line depending on what's needed (I was fairly sure Seth Mayor would get a roster position as he started last year at a 75OA and was 79OA by the resign stage). The main thing I decided to do was trade away Mueller, who for some reason was not improving his defensive stats and had seemingly stalled in growth over the last couple of years.

to OTT - M. Mueller, G. Slyvestre (unsigned DFD with some trade value, 21 y.o. 3.5* but only 63OA. Smolenak is younger, has better potential and nearly at that OA already)
to SJS - C. Ceci

Opening Night Lineup for 2018/2019:

M. Hoffman (PLY 85) - T. Hertl (SNP 86) - B. Saad (TWF 85)
S. Mayor* (PWF 81) - T. Wingels (TWF 83) - N. Jensen (SNP 84)
J. Moore (DFD 81) - C. Tierney (TWF 81) - N. Moutrey (GRN 78)

N. Hanifin (OFD 89) - J. Faulk (TWD 86)
M. Vlasic (DFD 88) - C. Ceci (TWD 85)
B. Smith (TWD 82) - D. Wideman (OFD 81)

M. Jones (HYB 86)
J. Reimer (HYB 84)

* indicates rookie

Konecny grew to 81OA, but his stats aren't where I'd like them to be to start in the NHL (his passing and defence are still rather poor) so he's getting another year in the AHL. Goldobin didn't grow at all and is stuck at being 79OA so far...thought he might have given Mayor a run for that third line spot, but that didn't eventuate.

With luck, our scoring will be like last year, but our defence will be better. If that happens, we might be a shot for a 50 win season. Jensen has been getting very nice stats since he's only 3rd line + PP time...Eberle needs a big season or he might get relegated to the 3rd line at some point during the year.

Created prospect updates:

N. Hanifin - 1st overall in 2015 to the San Jose Sharks, 89OA 4.5*
J. Eichel - 3rd overall in 2015 to the Edmonton Oilers, 88OA 5*
A. Matthews - 1st overall in 2016 to the Arizona Coyotes, 87OA 4.5*
J. Jagr - 7th overall in 2016 to the St. Louis Blues, 85OA 4.5*

Management have low expectations again...no faith in me at all, so sad :laugh:

Last edited:

KingNothing4

Sep 10, 2009
Basement of Staples
Just did a Fantasy Draft and realized when you are over the cap, instead of dumping players it just altered their cap hit... So started over and drafted a bunch of good players with expensive contracts and now Crosby is playing for me for under $5mil haha. Bet people already know this, but it just finally clicked for me.

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook

Last post.

A very good regular season saw us end up 2nd in our division with a 49-25-8 record and a matchup against the Oilers in round one. An odd series that saw only one home win; luckily it was game 7 and by us. Unfortunately, we lost Eberle for a week but Jensen stepped up to the topline well enough. Round 2 was against our division champs in Calgary. We jumped out to a 3-0 series lead before the Flames forced it to a game 6. Eberle came back but we then lost both Saad and Ceci for a while (Saad missed most of round 3 as well). Canada then threw the Jets at us and we squeaked past in another game 7 to make it to the Cup final.

Our present for getting that far? The defending SC champs in Tampa Bay.

Games 1 and 2 went with a 7-1 scoreline split and we then won both games in Tampa to take a commanding 3-1 series lead. Alas, Stamkos and Drouin decided now was the time to wake up and Drouin scored the OT winner in game 7 to win back-to-back Cups.

Hanifin won the Norris, leading our team with 74 points. Next best was Saad on 59.

Wideman retired so I felt a bit bad for not being able to win him a Cup in his last season and we'll be on the lookout for a righty d-man as I don't think any of my prospects are quite ready to make the jump next season.

2019 Draft day:
Deciding to take a risk and trading Konenchy to the Islanders for their 1st rounder in an effort to get a either a C PLY prospect with more consistant stats (Travis is an 82 OA, but his OAW, DAW and passing are still rather poor so I likely wouldn't bump him up next year either) or a good prospect goalie.

to NYI - T. Konechny (C PLY 82, 22 y.o. 4*), 2nd (2020), 7th (2019), 7th (2020)
to SJS - 1st (2019 - 22nd overall), 2nd (2020)

22nd overall - S. Varlamov (HYB 68, 19 y.o. 4*)
29th overall - J. Estrada (C PLY 74, 20 y.o. 4*)
59th overall - J. Lilja (DFD 66, 19 y.o. 3.5*)
89th overall - O. Grosek (LW SNP 67, 19 y.o. 3.5*)

Picking up Kruger and Gudas in FA, I also spotted Nick Schnieder; a 22 y.o. 4.5* goalie who was Detroit's 3rd overall pick a few years back. I waited a couple of days to see if anyone else was interested before signing him to a 3-year entry deal. Detroit have no need for him as they got another goalie roughly the same age who has better overall (83 vs 80). I guess that makes drafting Varlamov a moot point now, oh well. I also decided to stick with Eberle and move Jensen while his trade value was decent, signing Baertschi in FA as my 3rd liner.

to BOS - N. Jensen (RW SNP 83, 26 y.o. 4*), 2 unsigned rookies (a LW and a d-man)
to SJS - S. Petterson (LW SNP 72, 21 y.o. 4*)

Opening Night Lineup for 2019/2020:

M. Hoffman (PLY 85) - T. Hertl (SNP 86) - B. Saad (TWF 86)
S. Baertschi (SNP 81) - T. Wingels (TWF 82) - S. Mayor (PWF 82)
J. Moore (DFD 81) - M. Kruger (TWF 82) - N. Moutrey (GRN 78)

N. Hanifin (OFD 91) - C. Ceci (TWD 85)
M. Vlasic (DFD 88) - J. Faulk (TWD 85)
B. Smith (TWD 82) - R. Gudas (ENF 82)

M. Jones (HYB 87)
J. Reimer (HYB 84)

No rookies to start with, but Schneider grew to an 84 so I will start him in the AHL and if he tears it up I'll swap him and Reimer around. Estrada grew to 76OA and the OFD I mentioned last time could be my steal on the playthrough, Sutter, is now 80OA.

Management only want 42 wins in the last year of my current contract...I'm gunning for the Cup.

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
So I draft Matthew Tkachuk in the first year. 67 overall medium elite potential
1 year later he is 76 overall. low top 6 forward
**** this game. What is the logic behind this? 80% of my prospects' potential drops.

Oops, this is the NHL 15 thread. :facepalm:

Last edited:

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook

Well, it was a win one, lose one start of the season and I'd had enough of that routine by the middle of December so a shake up was made:

to STL - J. Eberle (RW SNP), N Schneider (HYB 84) and E. Sarthou (HYB 74, 22 y.o. 3.5*)
to SJS - V. Tarasenko (RW SNP 87), B. Elliott (HYB 85) and S. Taylor (HYB 81, 23 y.o. 4*)

to MIN - B. Elliott
to SJS - J. Harding (HYB 80), 2nd (2020)

Followed up at the deadline with a couple more trades:

to CBJ - T. Wingels (C TWF 82), an unsigned O. Grosek (LW SNP 69, 20 y.o. 3.5*)
to SJS - B. Jenner (C TWF 83)

to VAN - C. Tierney (C TWF 80, 25 y.o. 3.5*), 2 unsigned rookies and 2 draft picks
to SJS - J. McCann (C TWF 80, 24 y.o. 4*)

The moves paid off as we overhauled Vancouver for 3rd in the Pacific 46-28-8 (behind Anaheim and Calgary). We swept aside the Flames, were taken to 7 against both the Coyotes and Canucks in rounds 2 and 3 before meeting Pittsburgh for the Cup.

And, for the second straight year, and third series in a row, our opponent forced a game 7. We finally got Hanifin back from injury which was a blessing. In a crazy night, the crowd got their monies worth as the Pens tied it up late in the third to take it to overtime locked at 5-5.

Enter Mike Hoffman.

Having already had a big game with 3 points, the silky smooth LW playmaker potted the winner past Fleury to win us our first Cup :towel: :party: :partytime:

Douglas+Murray+Logan+Couture+San+Jose+Sharks+B9NeajmGBiil.jpg

Tarasenko won the Conn Smythe (14G and 12A in 25 games) and Jones the Vezina to cap off the season.

So that might be it for posts for me with this....I'll likely keep playing it, but given how dead this thread is with NHL 16 out, I don't really see much point posting :)

Last edited:

Hokie200proof

Jan 5, 2014
PS3
Just picked this up used on PS3 so I could get the rosters closer to normal, so I'm VERY late to the game. I've been trying to find some specific info about progression/player growth, but haven't been able to find the answers to these two questions...

What is the official date where the season-end progression happens?
I know there's a tick-over date where I think a few things happen. 1) Everyone on the team progresses (or regresses) to their off-season rankings. 2) I think in this year's version the potentials can move up or down quite a bit? Also, bonus query, when is the draft lottery done? I'll have a top-4 pick in my first off-season, so good chance I can snag McDavid, but not if we don't win the lotto. Any idea when that gets locked in? I'd have to imagine it's somewhere between the last game of the Stanley Cup and the Prospect Game or the Draft, probably the same time where everyone's progression happens.

Does NHL '15 still have the "free preview" glitch or bug in Scouting? If so, what date is that revealed?
If you don't know what I mean, in NHL '14, around the end of September, you could look at the Scouting Report before any Scouting was done and see if there were any "Franchise" prospects in that class. It wouldn't have any other info on the prospect than that, but that was enough for me to decide if I wanted to try to guess at the upcoming season's eventual last place team and try to get their draft pick. Which, if you see above, already worked out for me in my first season. Getting Phoenix's 2016 pick before the season in 2015 is almost always a safe bet for an eventual top-10 2016 pick.

Any other tips for an experienced NHL '14 player?

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
Just picked this up used on PS3 so I could get the rosters closer to normal, so I'm VERY late to the game. I've been trying to find some specific info about progression/player growth, but haven't been able to find the answers to these two questions...

What is the official date where the season-end progression happens?
I know there's a tick-over date where I think a few things happen. 1) Everyone on the team progresses (or regresses) to their off-season rankings. 2) I think in this year's version the potentials can move up or down quite a bit? Also, bonus query, when is the draft lottery done? I'll have a top-4 pick in my first off-season, so good chance I can snag McDavid, but not if we don't win the lotto. Any idea when that gets locked in? I'd have to imagine it's somewhere between the last game of the Stanley Cup and the Prospect Game or the Draft, probably the same time where everyone's progression happens.

Does NHL '15 still have the "free preview" glitch or bug in Scouting? If so, what date is that revealed?
If you don't know what I mean, in NHL '14, around the end of September, you could look at the Scouting Report before any Scouting was done and see if there were any "Franchise" prospects in that class. It wouldn't have any other info on the prospect than that, but that was enough for me to decide if I wanted to try to guess at the upcoming season's eventual last place team and try to get their draft pick. Which, if you see above, already worked out for me in my first season. Getting Phoenix's 2016 pick before the season in 2015 is almost always a safe bet for an eventual top-10 2016 pick.

Any other tips for an experienced NHL '14 player?

1 - not sure on the exact date, but it's always been after the FA months and the week before preseason for me. So end of August to mid-September.

Can't help you on 2 since I never bought NHL '14.

Edit: I fired this up again over the weekend to update the rosters a bit after the Sens/Leafs move last week. Went with my Canucks and won the SC in season 1 for the first time ever. Only player trades were Hamhuis for Anthony DeAngelo, Prust for Daniel Paille, Higgins for William Nylander and Ehrhoff (signed in FA when Edler went down for 8 weeks around Christmas) for Ryan Ellis. All done the week leading up to the deadline since I thought we were out of the playoff race and we then go on an absolute tear to squeak in and win it all :laugh:

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Vancouver Canucks 2015-2016

Vancouver Canucks GM, Jim Benning, has been fired before the start of the 2015-2016 NHL season. He will be replaced by GM AveryStar4Eva. Management wen't their separate ways with Benning because he was not committed to the rebuild and felt that the current roster could go deep in the playoffs. The new GM has gone on the record stating he will trade away impact player for future pieces before the season starts.

Rules

• Injures: Off, Trade Difficulty: Hard

I won't be trading for prospects as I feel their value is often to low for their potential. I also won't be signing free agent prospects. (This is to make the rebuild more realistic)

When signing/re-signing players I must give them the exact amount of money they request. I can change the amount of years however.

Only red for green trades. The other team has to want the player I'm trading them and be willing to give up the assets. This is to prevent poaching all the players I want.
Pre Season Trades

Tampa Bay: D - D. Hamhuis (87) - 32 - 4.5M/1Y
Vancouver: 2016 1st, 2016 2nd

Detroit: RW - R. Vrbata (87) - 33 - 2.5M/1Y (50%)
Vancouver: 2016 1st, 2016 2nd

GM Comments: Both players were adamant about joining teams that had a chance at the cup this year. I figured to maximize their return I would trade them before the season started. Doing so I gained four more high picks.

Pre-Season Signings

RW - A. Semin (83) - 31 - 2.8M/1Y
D - C. Erhoff (84) - 33 - 4.575M/1Y

GM Comments: Trading away Vrbata and Hamhuis allowed to sign both of these players to fill their positions. We are happy that both were available late in the free agency season.

Starting Roster

D. Sedin (88) - (C) H. Sedin (88) - A. Semin (83)
(A) A. Burrows (83) - B. Horvat (83) - J. Hansen (84)
E. Etem (81) - B. Sutter (84) - D. Dorsett (80)
C. Higgins (81) - L. Vey (80) - A. Cracknell (77)

(A) A. Edler (86) - C. Tanev (85)
L. Sbisa (82) - C. Erhoff (84)
M. Bartowski (78) - Y. Weber (82)

R. Miller (86)
J. Markstrom (82)

Trade Deadline

Ottawa: D - C. Erhoff - 33 - 4.575M/1Y
Vancouver: 2016 2nd

New York Rangers: RW - A. Semin - 31 - 2.8M/1Y
Vancouver: 2016 2nd

GM Comments: We aren't in a position to make a playoff run and both players are on expiring contracts. Both players now have the chance at the Stanley Cup. We now have three 1st round picks and 5 2nd round picks which bods well for our future.

Season Stats

Vancouver finished 23rd in the league with a 39-38-5 record. Vancouver will gave a top 10 draft pick and a chance at a top 3 pick via the lottery.

D. Sedin - 21G, 40A, 61P
H. Sedin - 13G, 47A, 60P
B. Sutter - 17G, 23A, 40P

R. Miller - 33W, 36L, 2.55GGA, .918SV%

GM Comments: We finished with almost a .500 average thanks to Ryan Miller. He was the MVP of the team this year.

That is year one. Let me know what you guys think. It might be a long rebuild.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Vancouver Canucks 2016-2017

The Canucks hold the 8th overall pick in this years draft. It's rumoured that they are willing to trade multiple 2nd's to gain another 1st round pick. Word is the Sedins and Ryan Miller are unhappy with the team choosing to rebuild. All three players may be on the move.

Draft Day Trades

Winnipeg: 3 2016 2nd's
Vancouver: 2016 1st

Nashville: G - R. Miller (86) - 6M/1Y
Vancouver: 2016 2nd, 2017 2nd

Colorado: H. Sedin (88) - 35 - 7M/2Y, D. Sedin (88) - 35 - 3.5M/2Y (50%), 2016 3rd
Vancouver: 2016 1st, 2017 1st, D - B. Stuart (81) - 36 - 3.6M/1Y

GM Comments: Today was my toughest day as a GM. Moving the Sedin's was not an easy call. They have been the face of this franchise and will both have their numbers retired here the day they call it quits. However, this gives them a real chance at winning a cup before they retire, they get to say together, and it builds our future. Trading Miller was the same case; he is aging and wants a few more chances at winning a cup.

Notable Draft Picks

8th: C - Sam Steel - High Top 6F
11th: D - L. Green - High Elite
16th: D - O. Juolevi - Low Top 4D
20th: D - M. Niemelainen - Med Top 4D
26th: D - R. Nabokov- Med Top 4D
33rd: RW - J. Puljujarvi - Med Top 9F
38th: RW - P. Laine - Med Top 9F

GM Comments: I feel in this draft we addressed the biggest area of need in defence prospects. Having 5 1st rounders is huge for our future. Adding a high end centre prospect and a couple depth RW's also doesn't hurt.

Re-Sign

LW - E. Etem (83) - 24 - Low Elite - 1.85M/1Y
LW - S. Baertschi (79) - 23 - Low Top 9F - 0.8M/1Y

Free Agency

G - A. Khudobin (80) - 30 - 1.4M/1Y
RW - T. Purcell (83) - 31 - 3.45/1Y
C - J. Schroeder (80) - 25 - 0.85M/1Y
C - D. Moore (82) - 36 - 2.5M/1Y
RW - C. Stewart (82) - 28 - 2.575M/1Y
D - K. Yandle (87) - 30 - 6.575M/1Y
D - B. Coburn (84) - 31 - 5.425M/1Y
D - R. Murray (88) - 22 - Med Elite - 3.650M/1Y

GM Comments: While rebuilding we feel it is important to bring in leadership to mentor the younger players. Being able to sign Murray as an RFA for the cost of a 2nd round draft pick was the best move i've made as a GM. We are going to continue to find ways to take advantage of the cap.

Starting Lines

E. Etem (85) - (A) B. Horvat (87) - (A) J. Hansen (84)
A. Burrows (82) - B. Sutter (84) - T. Purcell (83)
S. Baertschi (80) - D. Morre (82) - C. Stewart (82)
C. Higgins (81) - J. Schroder (80) - D. Dorsett (80)

R. Murray (88) - K. Yandle (87)
(C) A. Edler (86) - C. Tanev (85)
L. Sbisa (82) - B. Coburn (84)

J. Markstrom (82)
A. Khudobin (80)

GM Comments: I think our team has the most solid defence in the league. Our offence and goaltender are not up to par, but we are slowly building into a solid team.

Trade Deadline

Philadelphia: D - K. Yandle (88) - 31 - 6.575/1Y
Vancouver: 2017 1st

New York Rangers: D - B. Coburn (84) - 32 - 2.7M/1Y (50%)
Vancouver: 2017 2nd, 2017 3rd

Anaheim: RW - T. Purcell (83) - 32 - 3.45M/1Y
Vancouver: 2017 2nd

GM Comments: We are currently the last place team in the league so it made sense to add to our already strong prospect pool by trading off UFA's to be. Best of luck to these players on their new teams.

Team Stats

Canucks finish 27th overall with a record of 32-38-12.

B. Horvat - 18G, 34A, 52P
J. Hansen - 17G, 33A, 50P
E. Etem - 20G, 26A, 46P

J. Markstrom - 22W, 24L, 2.69GGA, .914SV%

GM Comments: Year two of the rebuild is done and we are heading into the draft with 3 1st's and 3 2nd's. Here is hoping to adding some great future pieces to the team.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Vancouver Canucks 2017-2018

In the third year and second draft as GM of the Vancouver Canucks, AveryStar4Eva is looking to gain some high potential prospects with his bundle of draft picks. Vancouver holds the 6th, 12th, and 18th overall draft picks this year as well as 3 2nd round picks. Look for him to move up in the draft as he did last year.

Draft Day Trades

Columbus: 3 2017 2nd's, D - J. Subban (69) - 22 - High 7th D - 0.7M/1Y
Vancouver: 2017 1st (4)

GM Comments: Columbus knew this pick would be between two goalies and they had no interest in anyone else in the top 10 or goalie prospects, so they traded away the pick for a quantity of draft picks. This worked well for us because we are in need of a high end goalie prospect.

Notable Picks

4th: G - S. Skinner - High Starter
6th: LW - J. Laierre - Med Top 6F
12th: RW - D. Holt - Med Top 9F
18th: LW - J. Asplund - Med Top 6F

GM Comments: We addressed our biggest need in a high end goalie prospect and added three good forward prospects. Can't complain.

Re-Singing Phase

C - B. Horvat (88) - 22 - High Elite - 5.425M/6Y
LW - E. Etem (85) - 25 - 4.075M/3Y
D - R. Murray (88) - 23 - Med Elite - 6.950/7Y
D - B. Hutton (82) - 24 - 1.825M/4Y
G - J. Markstrom (82) - 27 - 1.1M/2Y

GM Comments: We were able to lock up our two best players for 6 and 7 years at a fair rate. The fans have no need to worry about these young players going anywhere.

Free Agency

D - Andrej Sustr (84) - 26 - 2.4M/3Y
D - Cody Franson (84) - 29 - 5.9M/1Y
G - Ben Bishop (88) - 30 - 9.375M/1Y
C - B. Boyle (81) - 32 - 1.75M/1Y
LW - M. Latta (82) - 26 - 1.65M/2Y
LW - D. Booth (80) - 32 - 0.975M/1Y
RW - J. Williams (82) - 35 - 2.9M/1Y

Summer Trades

Tampa Bay Lightning: D - L. Sbisa (82) - 27 - 3.8M/1Y
Vancouver: 2018 3rd, 2018 4th

Starting Lines

E. Etem (85) - (A) B. Horvat (88) - J. Vitanen (83)
H. Shinkaruk (81) - J. McCann (85) - (A) J. Hansen (84)
M. Latta (82) - B. Sutter (83) - J. Williams (82)
B. Booth (80) 0 B. Boyle (81) - D. Doresett (80)

R. Murray (88) - C. Franson (84)
(C) A. Edler (86) - C. Tanev (85)
B. Huddon (82) - A. Sustr (84)

B. Bishop (88)
J. Markstrom (83)

Trade Deadline

The Vancouver Canucks once again find themselves outside of the playoffs and are going to be sellers.

Toronto: D - C. Franson (85) - 30 - 5.9M/1Y
Vancouver: RW - R. Rarnteau (81) - 35 - 1.5M/1Y, 2018 2nd, 2018 3rd

Nashville: J. Hansen (85) - 31 - 2.5M/1Y, 2018 3rd
Vancouver: 2018 1st

Calgary: G - B. Bishop (88) - 31 - 4.7M/1Y (50%)
Vancouver: 2018 1st, 2018 2nd

Season Stats

Another terrible year for for Vancouver finishing 28th in the league with a record of 35-40-7. Will this be the year they finally get a top 3 pick? Probably not...

B. Horvat - 21G, 45A, 66P
E. Etem - 18G, 41A, 59P
H. Shinkaruk - 34G, 23A, 57P
J. McCann - 21G, 34A, 55P
B. Sutter - 16G, 32A, 48P

GM Comments: I think we are finally pulling it together as an offensive team. Shink and McCann finished 2nd and 3rd in rookie scoring. With three 1st's and 3 2nd's it's going to be another great draft.

habfan72

Jul 15, 2015
For a laugh I decided to go back to an old save of mine from NHL where I was in the 2034-35 season. The 1st round of the 2035 draft had to be the best I've ever seen.

Forward wise there were: 3 Med Elite
3 High Top 6
6 Med Top 6
2 Med Top 9
Defense there were: 4 Med Elite
1 High Top 4
5 Med Top 4
4 Med Top 6
and there were 2 Med Elite Goalies drafted also.

I don't think I've ever seen a 1st round as deep as this one

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4