Battlefield 1 - Charging Tanks on Horses Since 1914

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Considering asking for this game as a Christmas gift. Can anyone just very briefly give me a pros and cons to this game? What are some of the things you think the game does well and what are some of the things that bother you?

Thanks in advance!

I'm loving it, personally. It's on it's way to replacing Destiny as my go-to fps.

Pros
  • Looks ****ing beautiful. I feel like cinematic gets thrown around way too much when describing games, but you really feel like you're in a movie sometimes.
  • The sound is amazing as well. You hear bullets and explosions around you. Soldiers will chatter after something happens, I had a guy yell nice shot to me after I sniped someone the other day.
  • You can jump in with the starting weapons and still hold your own. It's not like you have to grind for hours to unlock useful guns.

Cons
  • Multiplayer is very short. There are five campaigns and all can be completed in under and hour.
  • There are quite a few glitches. Sometimes the game will freeze when quitting after a match ends, forcing you to close Battlefield and restart it.
  • Spawns need some work. Last week I spawned on a point and was immediately run over by a horse. It's also possible to spawn in on a teammate that's in a gas cloud, which will start damaging you. And it may have gotten fixed with the patch today, but you can spawn on a teammate who has been killed, which can be beneficial to you if the guy he was fighting is weak, but really shouldn't be happening.
  • Your teammates can be ****ing ********. The bigger game modes are 32v32, and I've seen over 20 snipers on a team at one time, not playing the objective. Between snipers and people ******* around in planes/tanks, its possible to only have a few people actually trying to cap points at any one time.

That's more pros than cons, but bottom line is I'm having a blast playing this game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The spawns are pretty awful. Plus, the fact that you spawn further behind your teammate who is running than in BF4 can be a real pain sometimes. Also, the freeze when quitting happened to me last night. Just stupid... My friend had an issue where it would still be at the loading screen but it would show that he was in the game and in the squad.

Honestly for me, the one thing I like in it over BF4 is the fact you can basically pick and choose what guns you want and when.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I might be getting picky with Battlefield games, but this one has a lot of flaws in my mind.

Spawns are bad, the progression is shockingly limited, the hit detection seems...off, and I personally find 3/4s of the maps to be way to flusterclucky for my tastes.

That said, it's still a beautiful looking game and a decent shooter. The campaign is interesting (although not nearly as interesting as I thought it would be due to the over the top nature) but very short.

Totally different style of game, but I'm actually liking Titanfall 2 more this year. :P

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Thanks for all of the input guys.

I haven't played a FPS on the PS4 yet so this game would be my first experience with it. The only shooter game I've even purchased for the PS4 since I got it has been The Division which was fun for a while but I wasn't able to convince any of my friends to stick with it :laugh:

I've only ever played one Battlefield game before and I believe it was BF2. I enjoyed the large multi-player game modes but I as I recall many players not focusing on the objective was an issue in that game as well.

Think I may just give it a go. It certainly beats the new COD games.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I'm loving it, personally. It's on it's way to replacing Destiny as my go-to fps.

Pros
  • Looks ****ing beautiful. I feel like cinematic gets thrown around way too much when describing games, but you really feel like you're in a movie sometimes.
  • The sound is amazing as well. You hear bullets and explosions around you. Soldiers will chatter after something happens, I had a guy yell nice shot to me after I sniped someone the other day.
  • You can jump in with the starting weapons and still hold your own. It's not like you have to grind for hours to unlock useful guns.

Cons
  • Multiplayer is very short. There are five campaigns and all can be completed in under and hour.
  • There are quite a few glitches. Sometimes the game will freeze when quitting after a match ends, forcing you to close Battlefield and restart it.
  • Spawns need some work. Last week I spawned on a point and was immediately run over by a horse. It's also possible to spawn in on a teammate that's in a gas cloud, which will start damaging you. And it may have gotten fixed with the patch today, but you can spawn on a teammate who has been killed, which can be beneficial to you if the guy he was fighting is weak, but really shouldn't be happening.
  • Your teammates can be ****ing ********. The bigger game modes are 32v32, and I've seen over 20 snipers on a team at one time, not playing the objective. Between snipers and people ******* around in planes/tanks, its possible to only have a few people actually trying to cap points at any one time.

That's more pros than cons, but bottom line is I'm having a blast playing this game.

Is there a particular game mode you're enjoying? Like a specific online game type you like?

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Is there a particular game mode you're enjoying? Like a specific online game type you like?

They introduced a new online game mode in BF1, Operations, and it is a lot of fun. Also, they updated the game yesterday and they fixed a ******** of glitches.

Really enjoying this game so far.

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

They introduced a new online game mode in BF1, Operations, and it is a lot of fun. Also, they updated the game yesterday and they fixed a ******** of glitches.

Really enjoying this game so far.

This right here. Operations are a blast. They're basically a mini campaign. The attackers have to capture all the sectors in a map one by one. If they do, they move onto the next map. If they capture all the sectors on that they win (one of the four has a third map, however). You get 250 lives per attack, and three total attempts to do it. They're very hectic and a hell of a lot of fun.

Although that reminds me of another con. Playing with friends can be a pain in the ass. There's no way to load into a game together, you just get a notification that you have a friend in a joinable game. So if you want everyone to play together you have to hope that the first guy joins a game with some open slots. This really only applies to operations though, everything else you can dig through the server browser and find one with enough slots.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Just played my first match of Operations last night, and man was it fun. Quick question about it though. I know that there are different sections you play in, but I noticed my kills/deaths/score where reset at some point. Do you get credit for the other games score because at the end it didn't look like it added up my what would be total score. Basically what I'm asking is how the scoring system works in this mode.

Oxide

Jan 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just played my first match of Operations last night, and man was it fun. Quick question about it though. I know that there are different sections you play in, but I noticed my kills/deaths/score where reset at some point. Do you get credit for the other games score because at the end it didn't look like it added up my what would be total score. Basically what I'm asking is how the scoring system works in this mode.
It resets after a map is cleared by the attacker.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
New patch fixed a lot of annoying things and made some changes to when teams get the behemoth on Operations. Still undecided on whether I like the Operations change but everything else is pretty good so far. Especially like that they fixed the issue of not spawning in your vehicle and being stuck way back in a tank operator kit. They also fixed not being able to sprint out of crouch which was a real pain on PS4.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Yeah, I spend a ton of time on this game and don't even notice it mostly because Operations takes around an hour now that they upped the tickets. Hoping for a new operations map or two soon.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
all the chris klye wannabes in this game are priceless

I had an operations game on Iron Walls where we steamrolled up until the second to last phase and then most of my team decided they didn't want to win and switched to sniper. There were seriously dozens of snipers just laying down miles from the flags. I switched to support and just ran around throwing smoke grenades at all of them so they couldn't see down their scopes.

Snipers on the attacking team in operations are completely pointless. There should be a class limit.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Snipers are seriously the bane of this game.

SO many matches lost while half the team is laying in the cliffs.

A few snipers for spotting and covering fire? Sure, great. But you need more people on flags or you lose.

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I don't get how sitting on a rock for half an hour staring at people 300 meters away is fun. Scout is my least used class, but when I play it's aggressive. On the point, popping flares, and trying to flank for those easy sweet spot kills.

And I sometimes will switch to smoke grenades and drop them on sniper colonies, too. It's rather cathartic.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
When I play as a scout, I stick with my squad mates and use the M1903 experimental or Gewehr M.95. I do not win alot of one on one fights, but it is most satisfying when I drop a guy with a bolt action rifle up close.

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
When I play as a scout, I stick with my squad mates and use the M1903 experimental or Gewehr M.95. I do not win alot of one on one fights, but it is most satisfying when I drop a guy with a bolt action rifle up close.

Speaking of, I was playing scout last night and no scoped a guy. It was fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad