Battle of the Rebuilds, year end crap totals

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Probably Nuge.

I can honestly say our goaltending cost us about what, 20 points this season? I don't think that is an unfair statement.

We were not good by any means but with the start to the season we had, it killed our confidence and our W column and it steam rolled from there.

Glad the season is over and I'd really rather not see any of the coaches on the bench next season but that is not going to happen.

As for the Flames, they are a hard working team and don't think they are all that. I think we might have suffered from Draft Syndrome but it's a crap shoot and I don't think I'd change Hall, Nuge, Ebs or Yak with anyone yet. They are still so young.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec13m
I saw 3 Oilers players at Smyth's retirement. Find the answer to why there wasn't 23, and u might be on to what's happened to this org.

Pretty much nails the whole culture thing.

Oh they are not oblgiated to go are they? I mean there is no obligation to do anything, they should feel free to not go anywhere they don't want to go and it sheds no light on them to go, how does it make them any better hockey players to go. :)

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec13m
I saw 3 Oilers players at Smyth's retirement. Find the answer to why there wasn't 23, and u might be on to what's happened to this org.

Pretty much nails the whole culture thing.

Bingo... Wow that is seriously disappointing. Not showing some respect to a franchise icon like Smyth is pretty pathetic. This team is made of the weakest fabric I have ever seen in pro sport. Contrast that with a slightly less talented but far more cohesive unit in Calgary and you see why these two franchises are going in different directions. Oh, and Calgary is getting more talent in the pipeline. Gaudreau is the next Fleury...

And trying to point out that "someone said" there were that many attendees at Iginlas departure is the weakest comment I have read on here in years. SO WHAT if it's even true? LOL. Brutal.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
First page replies are hilarious.

Took the words from my mouth. These two franchises are headed in two totally different directions. Colorado is out of this discussion. Buffalo is where they are at more because of finances and their talent pipeline coming up blows the Oilers away. Welcome to the bottom, worst managed organization in pro sports.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
nice article in the journal this morning.

front page of the Journal reads in bold "LOWE MUST GO" followed by "according to fan survey"

good none-the-less

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Probably Nuge.

As for the Flames, they are a hard working team and don't think they are all that. I think we might have suffered from Draft Syndrome but it's a crap shoot and I don't think I'd change Hall, Nuge, Ebs or Yak with anyone yet. They are still so young.

Hall Ebs will be entering there 5th year and Nuge his 4th, next season, time to stop blaming youth, and thinking that this group is not the answer. Sure theres skill, but is there enough heart to compete, the lack of effort most nights is disturbing, and is the main reason this supposed skilled talented team is once again in last place

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Hall Ebs will be entering there 5th year and Nuge his 4th, next season, time to stop blaming youth, and thinking that this group is not the answer. Sure theres skill, but is there enough heart to compete, the lack of effort most nights is disturbing, and is the main reason this supposed skilled talented team is once again in last place

Will be Nuges 4th season but will only be 21 for whole season, we should look at age more with these players then years in the league as all of then were rushed into league and set up to fail. There are 4 players on this team I'm not at all worried about and 4 I think will be fine and good contributors.

4 I'm not worried at all about...

Hall - 22 Y.O., #1 in PPG for LW, #2 in points for LW, #11 in goals for LW, #1 in assists for LW
Eberle - 23 Y.O., #8 in points for RW, # 10 in goals for RW, #9 in assists for RW.
RNH - 20 Y.O., #26 in points for C, # 45 in Goals, #22 in assists for C.
Perron - 25 Y.O., #13 in points for LW, # 9 in goals for LW, #21 in assists for LW.

All these players are just entering their prime or are still a few years away from it, they are not the problem on the Oilers. These players have not been set up for success... no veterans, no secondary scoring, no goaltending until recently, a AHL bottom 6 except Gordon...

WTF do people expect, when there is only 1 line + Perron/Eberle depending who's on first line to shutdown, it is pretty much handing wins to the other team.

4 I think will be fine... And key contributors; Scrivens, Klefbom, Schultz and Marincin.

Everyone else can GTFO of edmonton. (Gordon, Hendricks can stay on 4th line)

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Will be Nuges 4th season but will only be 21 for whole season, we should look at age more with these players then years in the league as all of then were rushed into league and set up to fail. There are 4 players on this team I'm not at all worried about and 4 I think will be fine and good contributors.

Hall - 22 Y.O., #1 in PPG for LW, #2 in points for LW, #11 in goals for LW, #1 in assists for LW
Eberle - 23 Y.O., #8 in points for RW, # 10 in goals for RW, #9 in assists for RW.
Perron - 25 Y.O., #13 in points for LW, # 9 in goals for LW, #21 in assists for LW.

All these players are just entering their prime or are still a few years away from it, they are not the problem on the Oilers. These players have not been set up for success... no veterans, no secondary scoring, no goaltending until recently, a AHL bottom 6 except Gordon...

WTF do people expect, when there is only 1 line + Perron/Eberle depending who's on first line to shutdown, it is pretty much handing wins to the other team.

4 I think will be fine... And key contributors; Scrivens, Klefbom, Schultz and Marincin.

Sums up my feelings exactly.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

How do you explain the lack of compete, the total lack of willing to play defence from this core group here, its so obvious as the oilers are continually embarrased at home getting shutout 8 times there, It looks like they dont even care half the time. Skill dont mean anything, if you are not willing to compete hard , and ray ferraro mentioned that on the last tsn broadcast. How has colorado managed to go from worst to first in one season, Obviously there core they drafted, Landeskog, Duchesne, Reiley and Mackinioon, have bought into a system. Whats happening here is disturbing, the last effort against the Kings, was embarassing,

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
How do you explain the lack of compete, the total lack of willing to play defence from this core group here, its so obvious as the oilers are continually embarrased at home getting shutout 8 times there, It looks like they dont even care half the time. Skill dont mean anything, if you are not willing to compete hard , and ray ferraro mentioned that on the last tsn broadcast. How has colorado managed to go from worst to first in one season, Obviously there core they drafted, Landeskog, Duchesne, Reiley and Mackinioon, have bought into a system. Whats happening here is disturbing, the last effort against the Kings, was embarassing,

Avs pretty much had same skill and compete level last year as Oilers have had this year, they went out and found the right coach and right system for their team and obviously it has worked out well for them. Chicago went through similar struggles before quenville came in as well.

As far as work ethic it is not an excuse, but from a past personal experience in a horrible junior year we were, like the Oilers out of it before Christmas and it is extremely hard to motivate the team for the rest of the season,
Granted we were not making nhl money and have nhl expectations but that is just human nature.

I will reserve my full criticism of this team for when they are not out of it by Xmas (this year goaltending had alot to do with it). They did compete at the start of season but when regardless of your effort you lose games 6-4 or 5-3 it gets a little disheartening.

If they have even a decent supporting cast next year and the same results as this year I will change my tune and will be all for making major changes to this core.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for your post OnTheBrink. You also summed up my feelings.

I am not willing to give up on any of those guys. I really don't care how long they have played. They've carried this team on their backs at a young age. How many mentors have they had?

I would say not many. No Doug Weight, no Jason Smith, no one other than Smyth with his work ethic.
Hemmer wasn't a leader as far as I could tell. So I'd say at the ripe old age of 21, a guy like Nuge should be given a break.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Took the words from my mouth. These two franchises are headed in two totally different directions. Colorado is out of this discussion. Buffalo is where they are at more because of finances and their talent pipeline coming up blows the Oilers away. Welcome to the bottom, worst managed organization in pro sports.

To be completely honest, Columbus should be included as well. Considering they tanked right around the same time we did.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Glad this thread was bumped.

I'd rather kill myself than become a Nucklehead. But, that being said, if the Flames do finish ahead of us, I'm done with this team.

A man stays true to his word.

Everyone has their limits and for me to take this team seriously again some big changes need to be made. See ya around, boys.

(inb4 someone says I'm not a true fan)

Jakemcl*

Year 7 still behind the flames year one even after 3 1st overalls pretty bad management flames look good have good coaching but still lots of holes and the avalanche were just tanking hard for mackinnon you don't go from 29ty to 3rd in one year

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Look, this is through copper and blue tinted glasses - but the Flames are, IMO, the worst team I've seen on paper since the 09-10 Oilers in November. Not even Day one, with a healthy-ish team, the Patrick O'Sullivan on the top-line, (unready)Dubnyk-Deslauriers duo group that lost like 20 straight.

I honestly do not feel like they have better depth or top-end players in any position. Clearly not Goaltender, clearly not top-six forwards. Even on D, I would take Smid-Petry, Ference-Schultz over Giordano-Brodie, Russell-Wideman.

It's not a statement of superiority, it's my firm belief that the Flames have clearly the worst starting day roster in the NHL - and they should, to chase down a couple top-two picks, because Monahan-Baertschi aren't going to be good enough cornerstones.

:laugh: I love this thread.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Oilers have the high end talent, but lack depth. Imagine if we lose Dubnyk or Hall to injury? Either of those could mean a bottom 5 finish. Oilers finish Head of the flames, but just barely.

This one. Oh how our opinions can change.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
2xkATJX.jpg

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
:laugh: I love this thread.

If the Oilers had Bob Hartley coaching instead of Michael J Fox, they'd be a lot further along. You have to give Calgary credit. They played hard almost every night. There's some pieces there who are going to make their transition run a bit smoother.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Nailed it. How this management group's dismal performance is acceptable is shocking. They have been out performed by everyone. Dallas hires Nill and Ruff and, surprise surprise, they turn it around in one year. Calgary, Columbus, Colorado all ahead of Edmonton and yet the same clown keeps his job. It's embarrassing. It will be interesting to watch Vancouver. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they turned it around quicker than us.

You can bet one thing. No team that decides to rebuild will completely blow up their lineup. The industry can thank one Kevin Lowe for showing every one how not to conduct a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad