Battle of the Rebuilds, year end crap totals

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
when I started this thread it was supposed to be a joke--there was no way in hell the flames would finish a head of the oilers with their no name players.

this is just sad and it will get a lot uglier before the season is over

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
when I started this thread it was supposed to be a joke--there was no way in hell the flames would finish a head of the oilers with their no name players.

this is just sad and it will get a lot uglier before the season is over

The joke is on us, we have MacT and Eakins trying to stop the bleeding from a severed jugular with a safety pin.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It's worse than a joke. It's our worst nightmare coming to life. its an absolute, complete and total disaster.

I don't think anything can save this rebuild from sinking.

Its sunk.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Our pro scouts decided DAVID CLARKSON was the solution to our problems.. and MacT was going to pay him as much as Taylor Hall.

To say I have no faith in this rebuild working would be an understatement.

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils NHL 48gp 15g 9a 24pts
2013-2014 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 42gp 4g 6a 10pts

This was going to be our 6 million dollar man

Imagine how bad our situation would be if we didn't have the dumb luck to miss our target so often.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
| team |Wins | Loses | OTL| PTs| Goal for | Goals against | Top Goal scorer | Most assists| plus/minus| Point getter| games played
|:edmonton |20| 34| 8| 48| 155| 206| Perron 23| hall 36|M. Marincin0| hall 56|62
| :flames |24| 30| 7| 55| 141| 183| Monaghan 18| hudler 29|M. Giordano+4| Hudler 43| 60
| :avs|39| 17| 5| 83| 182| 161|N. MacKinnon 22| duschene 34|G. Landeskog+13| Duschene 53| 57
| :sabres|18| 34| 8| 44| 120| 180|C. Hodgson 15| C. Ehrhoff 23|C. Ruhwedel+3| Hodgson 32| 60

Decided to add Avalanche and sabres to add perspective of how bad the oilers are--avs year 5 of their rebuild as well

since people are saying I should not compare the oilers to the flames who are in year one of their rebuild--lets look at the Avalanche

Last 5 first round draft picks
Nathen Mckinnon
Gabriel Landeskog
Joey Hishon
Duncan Siemens
Matt Duchene

Oilers last 5 first rounders
Darnell Nurse
Nail Yakupov
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Oscar Klefbom
Taylor Hall

sorry for the dark turn here-- but this should add perspective to farcical this situation has become. All three teams have been to the cup final in the last ten years or so and have fallen on hard times.

I agree the Avs are a better comparison to the oilers since they started the rebuild at about the same time as the oilers and took legitimate chances to make changes in their dressing room.

Things that the AVs did to fix problems they new they had in net

two years ago they knew they had trouble and gambled is a trade with the caps
2011/07/01 Washington Capitals traded Semyon Varlamov to the Colorado Avalanche for a 1st round selection in 2012 and a conditional 2nd round selection.

and when they realized some of their kids were not working out--they shipped them to other teams for their kids who were not working out

2011/02/19 Colorado Avalanche traded Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk and a conditional second-round draft pick in 2011 or 2012 to the St. Louis Blues for Erik Johnson, Jay McClement and a conditional first-round draft pick in 2011 or 2012

three top picks during the rebuild
Matt Duchene
Gabriel Landeskog
Nathan MacKinnon

have scored 16 goals 18 assists for 34pts

VS
Eberle
Yakupov
Hall
Nuge
Gagner
who have 11goals 20assists 31pts

I realize that gagner, Nuge and Hall have missed time with injuries-but how many years have we been using that excuse? Eberle and Yakupov have 4 goals and 9 assists. Mckinnonen and 2 goals and 7 assists by himself.

If you look at out roster vs the avs roster, on paper we should be close to each other. However we are looking at 16pts difference in pts in the standings.

Both teams not have rookie GM and coaches, theirs are legends as well --on ourside we Lowe and mact who have I think 9 cup combined

2005/2006
Oilers 95pts No first rounder traded for Roloson)
Avs 95pts (draft chris stewart at 18)

2006/2007
Oilers 71pts (sam gagner 6th)
Avs 95pts (Draft Kevin Shattenkirk at 14)

2007/2008
Edmonton 88 pts (draft Eberle 22nd over all due to the Penner signing)
avs 95pts (no first round pick)

2008/2009
Oilers 85pts Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson at 10)
Aves 69pts (draft Matt Duschene at 3 and Ryan O'Reily at 33)

2009/2010
Oilers 62 pts Taylor Hall at 1
Avs 95pts (draft some guy names Joey Hilson at 17)

2010/2011
Oilers 62 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at 1 and Oscar Klefbom at 19
Avs 68 (draft Gabriel Landeskog at 2)

2011/2012
Oilers 74 Nail Yakupov at one
Avs 88 (no first round pick as mentioned is the goalie trade above)

2012/2013
Oilers 45 Darnell Nurse at 7
Aves 39 Drafted Nathan MacKinnon first overall

First--what is the deal with the Avs and getting 95pts so much?
Second: AVS prove the rebuild goes beyond draft first overall.

I am hoping to have this thread about what teams have done different from the oilers during their rebuilds. I may add the NYI to the mix as well

2nd point is moot . Look at all the drafts , it seems skill guys go first OA . It was probably a curse on us . The Avs drafting later help them at some grit and physical guys . Plus Nathan Mackinnon is probably the best player to come along since Sid . Too Bad our rebuild was not 3 years later . As we would probably have MacKinnon and McDavid . Maybe we get lucky and win the draft lottery next year

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Your guys biggest problem is defence and more importantly your culture. It will get turned around though I am quite confident in that. You guys have more high end talent than we do and are much further along in your rebuild. However we do have lots of guys in our system to be excited about. Of course, we will not know how our guys turn out until they are ready to make the jump.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Your guys biggest problem is defence and more importantly your culture. It will get turned around though I am quite confident in that. You guys have more high end talent than we do and are much further along in your rebuild. However we do have lots of guys in our system to be excited about. Of course, we will not know how our guys turn out until they are ready to make the jump.

Calgary has a proven GM and a proven coach. we will not turn the corner till the make up of the core is changed a bit, and if Eakins becomes as good as Mact 'thinks and believes' (because that's all he has to go on) he can be.

I am of the belief that the Oilers' rebuild is a failure until I see something that changes my mind.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Now that the Oilers gt goaltending and D prospects in the pipeline, I think well be ok. The Flames have ok AHL prospects, but we have guys like Lander, Pitlick, Horak and Arcobello that are outscoring all their top prospects. I think Sven has bought his ticket to bustville, lets see if he boards the train or not. He has 17 points in 30 games, comparable to Andrew Millers 19 in 37. He should be PPG+ if he wants to be anything of a top prospect, or even an NHL player

The Flames are doing better than the Oilers now, but they are largely propped up by vets in Giordano, Cammy, Hudler and Stajan.

Since dumping Dubnyk and getting real goalies, the Oilers have magical improved (strange) to a point where their pace since November is better than Calgarys and Vancouvers

Sloth Slothersons*

I don't believe the Oilers will be any good until they are any good.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Now that the Oilers gt goaltending and D prospects in the pipeline, I think well be ok. The Flames have ok AHL prospects, but we have guys like Lander, Pitlick, Horak and Arcobello that are outscoring all their top prospects. I think Sven has bought his ticket to bustville, lets see if he boards the train or not. He has 17 points in 30 games, comparable to Andrew Millers 19 in 37. He should be PPG+ if he wants to be anything of a top prospect, or even an NHL player

The Flames are doing better than the Oilers now, but they are largely propped up by vets in Giordano, Cammy, Hudler and Stajan.

Since dumping Dubnyk and getting real goalies, the Oilers have magical improved (strange) to a point where their pace since November is better than Calgarys and Vancouvers

The Flames are looking pretty good right now though. Young guys who have been getting a chance is making the most out of it. Hard work > talent.

As for the AHL guys:

Ortio, Granlund, Wotherspoon >> Lander, Pitlick, Horak, Arco

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the flames for as bad as they are still have giordano and wideman, which makes a huge difference on the back end

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
the flames for as bad as they are still have giordano and wideman, which makes a huge difference on the back end

Wideman has not been very good this season.

Giordano has been amazing though. Russell has also been very good.

The Flames D overall, while nothing special, is really not that bad, which is a big part of the difference between the two teams.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

For the past 15 games or so, Sven has been at at PPG pace in the AHL. He was just figuring out the defensive side of the game, according to Ward/Burke.

ah123

Jan 5, 2005
Now that the Oilers gt goaltending and D prospects in the pipeline, I think well be ok.

The Oilers' problems are not that their D or goaltending was/is horrible, it was that the forwards are not buying into the team D concept. It doesn't matter who the team has on the backend, if the forwards are not willing to take their defensive responsibilities seriously, the team will be out of the playoffs.

Just look at the Flames a number of years ago, they had Bouwmeester, Regehr and Phaneuf on D and Kipper in goal, and they still didn't make the playoffs. Why? Because, the offensive leaders (Iginla, Tanguay) weren't interested in playing in the defensive zone.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Avs are proof of just how strong parity is in this league. It gives me a lot of hope for our own team.

Just think of how good the team will be when Yakupov, Marincin, and Klefbom will be when they are better adjusted to the league. I think our team is now a good place for D to develop with the goalie tandem in net we have now.

Like my username, I am generally positive about these things though. I've been that way ever since the collapse actually. I hated what the team was before the rebuild. I loathed it actually. They were a hard-working, mediocre team hoping and praying that free agency would fix everything.

The rebuild has it's own pitfalls, but at least there is a path to success. If the Avs can do it, we can too.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Avs are proof of just how strong parity is in this league. It gives me a lot of hope for our own team.

Just think of how good the team will be when Yakupov, Marincin, and Klefbom will be when they are better adjusted to the league. I think our team is now a good place for D to develop with the goalie tandem in net we have now.

Like my username, I am generally positive about these things though. I've been that way ever since the collapse actually. I hated what the team was before the rebuild. I loathed it actually. They were a hard-working, mediocre team hoping and praying that free agency would fix everything.

The rebuild has it's own pitfalls, but at least there is a path to success. If the Avs can do it, we can too.

"yes we can" ;)

The above post is like reading Silver linings playbook. :)

My wife made me watch the movie so I know..

"Excelsior"

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec13m
I saw 3 Oilers players at Smyth's retirement. Find the answer to why there wasn't 23, and u might be on to what's happened to this org.

Pretty much nails the whole culture thing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec13m
I saw 3 Oilers players at Smyth's retirement. Find the answer to why there wasn't 23, and u might be on to what's happened to this org.

Pretty much nails the whole culture thing.

People were also saying there were around that number at Iginla's farewell, so make of that what you will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad