Battle of the Rebuilds, year end crap totals

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
| team |Wins | Loses | OTL| PTs| Goal for | Goals against | Top Goal scorer | Most assists| plus/minus| Point getter| games played
|:edmonton |29| 29| 9| 67| 203| 270| Eberle 28| hall 53|M. Marincin0| hall 80|82
| :flames |35| 40| 7| 77| 209| 241| Cammalleri 26| hudler 37|M. Giordano+12| Hudler 54| 82
| :avs|52| 22| 8| 112| 250| 220|R OReily 28| duschene 47|G. Landeskog+24| Duschene 70| 82
| :sabres|21| 51| 10| 52| 157| 248|T Ennis 21 |C. Ehrhoff 27|B McAbb +1| Hodgson 44| 82

Decided to add Avalanche and sabres to add perspective of how bad the oilers are--avs year 5 of their rebuild as well

since people are saying I should not compare the oilers to the flames who are in year one of their rebuild--lets look at the Avalanche

Last 5 first round draft picks
Nathen Mckinnon
Gabriel Landeskog
Joey Hishon
Duncan Siemens
Matt Duchene

Oilers last 5 first rounders
Darnell Nurse
Nail Yakupov
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Oscar Klefbom
Taylor Hall

sorry for the dark turn here-- but this should add perspective to farcical this situation has become. All three teams have been to the cup final in the last ten years or so and have fallen on hard times.

I agree the Avs are a better comparison to the oilers since they started the rebuild at about the same time as the oilers and took legitimate chances to make changes in their dressing room.

Things that the AVs did to fix problems they new they had in net

two years ago they knew they had trouble and gambled is a trade with the caps
2011/07/01 Washington Capitals traded Semyon Varlamov to the Colorado Avalanche for a 1st round selection in 2012 and a conditional 2nd round selection.

and when they realized some of their kids were not working out--they shipped them to other teams for their kids who were not working out

2011/02/19 Colorado Avalanche traded Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk and a conditional second-round draft pick in 2011 or 2012 to the St. Louis Blues for Erik Johnson, Jay McClement and a conditional first-round draft pick in 2011 or 2012

three top picks during the rebuild
Matt Duchene
Gabriel Landeskog
Nathan MacKinnon

have scored 16 goals 18 assists for 34pts

VS
Eberle
Yakupov
Hall
Nuge
Gagner
who have 11goals 20assists 31pts

I realize that gagner, Nuge and Hall have missed time with injuries-but how many years have we been using that excuse? Eberle and Yakupov have 4 goals and 9 assists. Mckinnonen and 2 goals and 7 assists by himself.

If you look at out roster vs the avs roster, on paper we should be close to each other. However we are looking at 16pts difference in pts in the standings.

Both teams not have rookie GM and coaches, theirs are legends as well --on ourside we Lowe and mact who have I think 9 cup combined

2005/2006
Oilers 95pts No first rounder traded for Roloson)
Avs 95pts (draft chris stewart at 18)

2006/2007
Oilers 71pts (sam gagner 6th)
Avs 95pts (Draft Kevin Shattenkirk at 14)

2007/2008
Edmonton 88 pts (draft Eberle 22nd over all due to the Penner signing)
avs 95pts (no first round pick)

2008/2009
Oilers 85pts Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson at 10)
Aves 69pts (draft Matt Duschene at 3 and Ryan O'Reily at 33)

2009/2010
Oilers 62 pts Taylor Hall at 1
Avs 95pts (draft some guy names Joey Hilson at 17)

2010/2011
Oilers 62 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at 1 and Oscar Klefbom at 19
Avs 68 (draft Gabriel Landeskog at 2)

2011/2012
Oilers 74 Nail Yakupov at one
Avs 88 (no first round pick as mentioned is the goalie trade above)

2012/2013
Oilers 45 Darnell Nurse at 7
Aves 39 Drafted Nathan MacKinnon first overall

First--what is the deal with the Avs and getting 95pts so much?
Second: AVS prove the rebuild goes beyond draft first overall.

I am hoping to have this thread about what teams have done different from the oilers during their rebuilds. I may add the NYI to the mix as well

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers are better than the Flames at every position. Unless we are absolutely decimated by injuries there isn't a snowball's chance in hell we finish behind them.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
We did better than them last year and they got worst this year and we got better on paper anyway

It is indeed an easy answer i can even see the flames finishing dead last

Oilers AINEC

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Look, this is through copper and blue tinted glasses - but the Flames are, IMO, the worst team I've seen on paper since the 09-10 Oilers in November. Not even Day one, with a healthy-ish team, the Patrick O'Sullivan on the top-line, (unready)Dubnyk-Deslauriers duo group that lost like 20 straight.

I honestly do not feel like they have better depth or top-end players in any position. Clearly not Goaltender, clearly not top-six forwards. Even on D, I would take Smid-Petry, Ference-Schultz over Giordano-Brodie, Russell-Wideman.

It's not a statement of superiority, it's my firm belief that the Flames have clearly the worst starting day roster in the NHL - and they should, to chase down a couple top-two picks, because Monahan-Baertschi aren't going to be good enough cornerstones.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Look, this is through copper and blue tinted glasses - but the Flames are, IMO, the worst team I've seen on paper since the 09-10 Oilers in November. Not even Day one, with a healthy-ish team, the Patrick O'Sullivan on the top-line, (unready)Dubnyk-Deslauriers duo group that lost like 20 straight.

I honestly do not feel like they have better depth or top-end players in any position. Clearly not Goaltender, clearly not top-six forwards. Even on D, I would take Smid-Petry, Ference-Schultz over Giordano-Brodie, Russell-Wideman.

It's not a statement of superiority, it's my firm belief that the Flames have clearly the worst starting day roster in the NHL - and they should, to chase down a couple top-two picks, because Monahan-Baertschi aren't going to be good enough cornerstones.

Yup. It's going to be a real win/lose for me if they blow chunks for the next couple years. It would be nice to see all the arrogant Flames fans go through our pain, and have to do the same loser, dirtbag, rebuild that they mocked us relentlessly for. On the other hand, the thought of them stockpiling Ekblads, and McDavids makes me wanna puke.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If the Flames outpoint the Oilers this season... Eakins, MacT and Lowe should not only be fired but jettisoned into space as well.

Flames are in full-on rebuild mode... Oilers are "supposed" to be coming out of their rebuild and challenging for a playoff spot. No way the Flames should finish ahead of them regardless of injuries, slumps or any other act of God.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the Flames outpoint the Oilers this season... Eakins, MacT and Lowe should not only be fired but jettisoned into space as well.

Flames are in full-on rebuild mode... Oilers are "supposed" to be coming out of their rebuild and challenging for a playoff spot. No way the Flames should finish ahead of them regardless of injuries, slumps or any other act of God.

Summed up pretty well. If they finish ahead of us something is really, really wrong and there should be changes in management first and foremost.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers will finish ahead but lose every game to Calgary this season.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Calgary finishes 8th and we finish 9th...all because we lost all of our games to the Flames and ended up 1 point behind them.:laugh:

There's nothing that could be more comical than that.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yup. It's going to be a real win/lose for me if they blow chunks for the next couple years. It would be nice to see all the arrogant Flames fans go through our pain, and have to do the same loser, dirtbag, rebuild that they mocked us relentlessly for. On the other hand, the thought of them stockpiling Ekblads, and McDavids makes me wanna puke.

mcdavid would be the worst.... he is the best prospect since crosby, and i don't think its really close either.... i don't want them getting reinhart/ekblad this year, but if they managed to get mcdavid next year it would be bad, bad news for the oilers for a long time

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Oilers have the high end talent, but lack depth. Imagine if we lose Dubnyk or Hall to injury? Either of those could mean a bottom 5 finish. Oilers finish Head of the flames, but just barely.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Just Lowe and his scouting staff.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
With the expertise and experience of being an Oilers fan, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what a 30th place contender looks like.

CGY is going to be a bad team.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Glad to see I'm not the only one that went option c

If we have another bottom five finish this year, I may have to rethink following hockey. I wouldn't "honestly" cheer for the Canucks (which I voted for a laugh), but I'm not sure I wouldn't completely give up.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Even with our top 2 centers down we still have better center depth with Hall/Gordon and two scrubs. If the oilers finish anywhere near the flames in a full season I would lose all faith in the rebuild.

The flames are a horrible team with no position of strength. The only reason they weren't last in the previous year was because the trading of the 2 (near) franchise players gave a boost of adrenaline to the young guys. Once they have to face the NHL grind with a horrible team they will crumble hard.

I fully support the rebuild they embraced tho, it's the right thing to do. But things only get worse from here on in. Prospects in junior they had high hopes for will go on to bust in the ahl and young players they hoped would be franchise talents will fall short and dissapoint.

Getting a ekblad level talent will be huge

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad