Post-Game Talk: Battle of Ontario: Part 3 | 7:00pm | Saturday Night on CBC |

Rooverick*

Jan 5, 2008
I hope Boros not back in the lineup. Claesson is the better option

Also seemed like a good showing of Sens fans at the ACC tonight

Wideman's play alone should be reason enough to keep Boro out of the line up.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Missed the game but caught the shootout. Went to the Lehner and Carey Price show at the Bell Centre. It was quite amazing.

After watching the highlights today, I think Marner's goal was a 50/50 - it the leafs nation review panel prevailed.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Marner loses control of the puck when he tries that little backhand pull, the puck slides sideways not forward and then he reaches back and sweeps it in the net. By then he's in the blue paint and his skate is interfering with Condon's stick. It doesn't matter if Condon made the move 1st or not in his own crease the player has no right to kick his stick even if it's accidental he shouldn't be in the blue paint before the puck.

It's easy to see that the puck is clearly sitting outside the blue paint when Marner enters so he has no business there. Condon is entitled to that space and not be interfered with in his crease. That's not a goal at any other time and the shootout should be no exception.

That is clearly no goal. Condon is 100% right. The Toronto NHL ref who reviewed it blew the call.
Yeah, the bolded is exactly what I see too. I don't know the exact rules, so I won't comment on whether it should be allowed or not. If they banned any backward or sideways motion on the puck it would seriously limit the forward's options. That's too much IMO.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Yeah, the bolded is exactly what I see too. I don't know the exact rules, so I won't comment on whether it should be allowed or not. If they banned any backward or sideways motion on the puck it would seriously limit the forward's options. That's too much IMO.

I don't question the backwards or sideways motion when a player moves it with his stick while making a move as long as the puck stays under his control but I see 3 things wrong with this call:

First is the fact is that he lost control and the puck lay there off his stick and the sideways motion happened while it was out of his control after he made his move. The play should have ended there. Marner was given a second chance at the puck which he shouldn't have gotten. Here the 2 refs missed their 1st chance to make the right call.

As I said too, the second thing is that he entered the blue paint before reaching back to sweep the puck forward while it was outside the zone. Marner had no right to be in the crease before the puck. Why bother painting it blue if it means nothing. This was the 2 refs second chance to blow the play dead as soon as Marner entered the blue paint without the puck on his stick.

3rd Marner impeded Condon's stick which is goalie interference and he did it before he reached back outside the crease and swept at the puck while he was standing in the crease which makes it even worse. The 2 refs had this 3rd chance to make the right call and they messed it up. It shouldn't have even needed a review with 2 refs watching the play.

In truth if they called it properly it never gets to my 2nd or 3rd point.

Now that the Sens have won and there is no damage done for the sake of integrity the NHL should do the right thing and reverse the call stating that they goofed and provide a proper explanation of the rules.

BTW) The Datsyuk move imo is a good goal. It was part of his fake and he was in full control of the puck during the whole play.

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I don't think Pyatt had done anything to go before Hoffman and a few others in the SO, but I'm glad he did. Just confused as to why Boucher is giving him gifts like this.

I will gladly take this win. BIG BIG two points.

Because Pyatt's Swiss shootout record is 18 out of 20.

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes
What's funny is that Condon himself put the puck over the glass recently for a 5 on 3 against Columbus and the Senators managed to kill off the penalty.

Not sure why losing the hockey game is Marincin's fault.

Also, there was a fix in place to make sure Ottawa won.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Man, both Pyatt's and Ryan's shootout goals were sick. From now on, they should be the first two shooters.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Crosby and Toews are the only cup winners and they have Letang/Malkin and Kane/Keith

Lol, who do we have after EK? Stone is a good one but we need another elite talent closer to EK, not Stone.

We need to go absolutely full force for Tavares or OEL. We will be up there with the contending team stars if we do and, IMO, we will win a couple cups in the next 5 years if we do.

Yup. It's as simple as this really. We need another star player to play alongside EK.

White's best case scenario is O'Reilly, IMO; maybeeee Bergeron. He doesn't have anything close to the hands and creativity of Toews.

Still, an O'Reilly would be unbelievable. I'd say a more realistic comparison is Kesler during his Anaheim years, which is an invaluable Mr. Everything Second line C.

Yes, the Sens need another elite talent, but we disagree on where.

I think the Sens need a big scoring playmaker at center on the first line. Chabot will help on defence and therefore OEL is not required.

We might win 1 cup if they get Tavares, and maybe two but . . . Tavares will not come cheap.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
"Toronto coach Mike Babcock was asked about the fact the Leafs haven’t had a whole lot of power plays lately and indicated he just needs to look at who’s officiating to see what kind of night it will be. “I look at the sheet before (to see) who refs the game, and I tell (assistant) D.J. (Smith) how many penalties we are getting tonight,” Babcock said. “That’s the truth. I look at (who will be officiating) and I know how many there are going to be. I have been around a long time, I know how they call the game. I like the game 5-on-5. I like guys who let you play.” … Centre Kyle Turris will suit up for his 500th career game on Sunday."

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...ought-hed-be-getting-macarthur-back-this-week

Shut the **** up Babcock. Your team is notorious at getting away with interference. You have no right to complain about the officials.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Have to laugh at such overwhelming bias. Leafs Nation echo chamber never ceases to amaze.

It's not like the Leafs scored on a ridiculous bounce to go up 2-1, not to mention the 3 shots that got past Andersen but went off the post and out.

Any Leafs fan complaining about bounces or reffing in that game should get their head checked.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't question the backwards or sideways motion when a player moves it with his stick while making a move as long as the puck stays under his control but I see 3 things wrong with this call:

First is the fact is that he lost control and the puck lay there off his stick and the sideways motion happened while it was out of his control after he made his move. The play should have ended there. Marner was given a second chance at the puck which he shouldn't have gotten. Here the 2 refs missed their 1st chance to make the right call.

As I said too, the second thing is that he entered the blue paint before reaching back to sweep the puck forward while it was outside the zone. Marner had no right to be in the crease before the puck. Why bother painting it blue if it means nothing. This was the 2 refs second chance to blow the play dead as soon as Marner entered the blue paint without the puck on his stick.

3rd Marner impeded Condon's stick which is goalie interference and he did it before he reached back outside the crease and swept at the puck while he was standing in the crease which makes it even worse. The 2 refs had this 3rd chance to make the right call and they messed it up. It shouldn't have even needed a review with 2 refs watching the play.

In truth if they called it properly it never gets to my 2nd or 3rd point.

Now that the Sens have won and there is no damage done for the sake of integrity the NHL should do the right thing and reverse the call stating that they goofed and provide a proper explanation of the rules.

BTW) The Datsyuk move imo is a good goal. It was part of his fake and he was in full control of the puck during the whole play.

Agreed, once he lost the puck off his stick that play should have been blown dead IMO & I thought that was what Condon was upset about rather than that Marner had come to a full stop which I'm not sure he did.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Leafs fans melting down in their PGT is something.

You really gotta wonder what games they were watching in the last two saturday nights. Comments like 'the sens always snatch victory out of defeat' do they have a mental block from a week ago?

Overall as a fanbase on HF they really have a hard time with reality. The highs are so ridiculous unatainably high and the lows are blown out of porportion. You would think a Canadian fan base would understand the game a little better, they are delusional. Many of them are blaming Andersen haha. If he didnt stand on his head and with a little luck it could have been 4-0 after the first.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
You really gotta wonder what games they were watching in the last two saturday nights. Comments like 'the sens always snatch victory out of defeat' do they have a mental block from a week ago?

Overall as a fanbase on HF they really have a hard time with reality. The highs are so ridiculous unatainably high and the lows are blown out of porportion. You would think a Canadian fan base would understand the game a little better, they are delusional. Many of them are blaming Andersen haha. If he didnt stand on his head and with a little luck it could have been 4-0.

I read their thread - no worse than ours, unfortunately.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Always fun to beat the Leafs in Toronto.

Particularly when they choke up the lead in the last minute which seems to be their MO this year.

HD really brings out the sadness and disappointment of the faces in the crowd.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Always fun to beat the Leafs in Toronto.

Particularly when they choke up the lead in the last minute which seems to be their MO this year.

HD really brings out the sadness and disappointment of the faces in the crowd.

It would be pretty hilarious if they came full circle and did their traditional March/April meltdown from playoffs to out of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad