Blue Jays Discussion: Presenting your 2020 Buffalo Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Really? He played about 70% of his games at 3B. One of the main reasons the Jays preferred him to Smoak. He could play 1B and 3B, plus had an extra year of control.

I honestly have no idea. I keep thinking he's some big lumbering power hitting first baseman.

Huff instigating, Stroman being Stroman and Grichuk pretty much confirming the story that Stroman got the strength coach to kick out "30" minor league players from the weight room in ST in 2019 so Stroman can work out by himself.

As someone who has spent years on here saying that Stroman shouldn't log off, today he should log off.

Reactions: kb

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
This is good to hear. As much as I carp about all sorts of non-regular-season sports not getting covered (stuff like these intersquad games or, for me, the annual prospect tournament that the San Jose Sharks hold) as much as we think "yeah, it's easy: Just plunk a camera in a good vantage point and let it run!" it's never actually that easy.

Especially in a pandemic when the Jays only got the green light to have their training at the Rogers Centre a week ago. A lot goes into having those games broadcasted now under government restrictions.

Some people are just immune to reality or complain because they like to complain.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think if this was a full season, they would have Vladdy at 3rd. But this is a very unique year where they have a chance to make a lot of noise, so it's less of a developmental year and more of a "win now" year.
Yeah, they're not treating this as a developmental year. In 60 games a hot team has a shot to go all the way.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I honestly have no idea. I keep thinking he's some big lumbering power hitting first baseman.

Its like me and my view of Belinger, had no idea he plays OF, let alone CF/RF pretty much all last season. Im thinking "big lumbering power hitting 1B" too.

As someone who has spent years on here saying that Stroman shouldn't log off, today he should log off.

Loved Stroman when he was here. But the moment AA/Beeston and the vets on the roster left he started making borderline comments and it sounds like some borderline actions in the clubhouse. Love the talent and really love the intensity from MArcus but moving off Stroman was the best thing for the org, getting Kay and SWR was gravy. Couldnt have Stroman being the vet in the locker for this core.

One thing that i may question is the lack of leadership/vets on this team. Evenually it will come naturally internally or via acquisitions. Young core with rookie manager doesnt scream leadership. Our vets like Ryu, Giles, Grichuk, Shaw etc. dont scream leadership either in terms of personality. But what do i know, im not in the clubhouse.

Reactions: stickty111

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Huff instigating, Stroman being Stroman and Grichuk pretty much confirming the story that Stroman got the strength coach to kick out "30" minor league players from the weight room in ST in 2019 so Stroman can work out by himself.

Is this a surprise to anyone? Stroman is and always will be a hothead, idiot, self-absorbed small man with a huge ego. I’m so glad he’s gone. Addition by subtraction. Plus SWR and Kay of course. Good riddance you arrogant POS.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I still like Stroman as a player but moving him was the right option

I like his fit on team with plenty of vets who can deal with his personality rather than this Jay's team with a lot of younger players looking to find there way at the next level

Reactions: kb and stickty111

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
4 Jeters out of 10. Not enough hangtime.

Ha... my first thought in watching that was how impressed I was by how quickly he pivoted and got rid of the ball, Tulo style, despite the awkward angle, instead of wasting time with a big graceful jump that doesn't actually help get the ball there faster.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I think Tellez will end up our regular 1B and Vladdy can just focus on DH. Gurriel and Martin in the outfield. Grab a stud free agent for RF.

i think Teoscar is primed for a huge year with the bat. Im predicting a minimum 120 wRC+

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
They have a couple other good IF prospects coming also mainly Orelvis Martinez so could see Biggio get shifted to 1B or RF in 3ish years. Obviously can't count on prospects to all hit though.

Re vets Grichuk isn't quite worth his contract but he seems like a great vet and person to guide the young core. Ideally they'd have kept Smoak around but it is what it is. Hopefully the Jays light Stroman up and make his hateful ass pout on twitter after. He's one of the worst 2 faced people out there and even Sanchez couldn't take him. Glad his toxic personality isn't our problem anymore and couldn't infect the core much.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
An infield of Groshans/Bichette/Biggio/Vlad has insane potential.

Yeah with Bichette, Biggio, Austin Martin, Shaw, Groshans we are STACKED in the infield. Vlad to 1B makes sense. And if Groshans and/or Shaw can work out at 3B long term then Martin can play CF

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Anyone know when we can expect Martin to show up at training?

Remember one of the insiders say it can be as early as tomorrow.

not the quote but some info;

Anthony Kay eyes Blue Jays bullpen spot

Martin on his way
The Blue Jays added Austin Martin to their 60-man roster on Friday, meaning their No. 5 overall pick from the 2020 MLB Draft is on his way to Rogers Centre. Speaking Thursday, Martin said he just had the final stage of screening remaining before he could travel to Toronto. Martin won’t see action this season, of course, but this will act as an early development tool for the 21-year-old.

Edit - here it is;

Also;

Blue Jays Add Austin Martin To Player Pool

Austin Martin received the largest signing bonus of anyone not picked first overall yesterday, and he received more good news today. Martin will presumably head to Toronto for intake testing before joining the Blue Jays’ summer camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb and weems

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
i think Teoscar is primed for a huge year with the bat. Im predicting a minimum 120 wRC+

I like him too, and he's under team control for a few years too.

This season is as much about these fringe guys with control getting a chance to improve and show what they can do as it is about the young studs imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad