Recalled/Assigned: Bartkowski Recalled (5/9)

Afam*

Does Claude Julien get some kind of twisted satisfaction out of embarrassing highly-touted rookies in the playoffs?

In 2008 he benched Kessel for Jeremy Reich

In 2011, Seguin only got to play when someone got injured and he didn't have another option

Now Hamilton is apparently getting the shaft here. In fairness, it could be a left/right handedness thing, but I don't get why the kid who couldn't crack the roster for most of the year gets the promotion in the playoffs and the kid who was here and impressing fans for the majority of the season is sitting out.

I agree. Seriously in what world is Bart a better player than Dougie. This is a definitely an insult to Dougie. At least a case can be made to put Ferrence ahead of Dougie but not for an inexperienced player in Bart. Someone please explain and justify to me what does Bart have over Dougie. He is definitely not a better player than Dougie, is not a better skater or Better Pmd. What's next for close put Johnson ahead of Dougie too.

Afam*

I like Bartkowski's speed but I'm skeptical on his defensive play... Wish Dougie played left so we could insert him in over Bart but oh well... Bartkowski for a Hat-Trick!!!! Haha. :handclap:

The left and right thing is a myth. Dougie is not playing because he is a rookie and Claude is afraid he will make a mistake.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I agree. Seriously in what world is Bart a better player than Dougie. This is a definitely an insult to Dougie. At least a case can be made to put Ferrence ahead of Dougie but not for an inexperienced player in Bart. Someone please explain and justify to me what does Bart have over Dougie. He is definitely not a better player than Dougie, is not a better skater or Better Pmd. What's next for close put Johnson ahead of Dougie too.

Bartkowski is just as experienced as Dougie. Some might say he's even more experienced, since he's spent time in Providence. It was pretty clearly a handedness issue, as playing Hamilton would likely shift the other pairings, splitting up Chara/Seidenberg.

Last edited:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The left and right thing is a myth. Dougie is not playing because he is a rookie and Claude is afraid he will make a mistake.

Why do you feel that the "left right thing" is a myth? Because that's probably one of the more ridiculous things I've read here.

Also, Bartkowski is a rookie.

Afam*

Bartkowski is just as experienced as Dougie. Some might say he's even more experience, since he's spent time in Providence. It was pretty clearly a handedness issue, as playing Hamilton would likely shift the other pairings, splitting up Chara/Seidenberg.

I don't care if a player plays left or right. Benching on of your best rookie and Pmd is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If a player can player you put him in regardless of their handedness. I'm sorry but that's not an acceptable excuse for me. Furthermore, Bart does not have more experience than Dougie. Bart has been playing in the Ahl while Dougie has been playing in the real league called the NHL for the whole year.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I don't care if a player plays left or right. Benching on of your best rookie and Pmd is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If a player can player you put him in regardless of their handedness. I'm sorry but that's not an acceptable excuse for me. Furthermore, Bart does not have more experience than Dougie. Bart has been playing in the Ahl while Dougie has been playing in the real league called the NHL for the whole year.

So Claude is afraid to play Dougie becuase he doesn't have experience. But he'd rather play Bartkowski, who has even less experience?

Furthermore, I'm glad you don't run the Bruins. Just because you don't care what side a player plays, or it's not a valid excuse for you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. They've been just fine without Dougie in 3 of these 5 games. Hell, they even lost the one game he did play.

Afam*

Why do you feel that the "left right thing" is a myth? Because that's probably one of the more ridiculous things I've read here.

The bolded party is why we are scratching our heads on why Claude would insert Bart over Dougie. I'm not a big believer In the left And right handedness. What next Bart skates much better on the right side over Dougie so let's put Bart in instead.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
[/B]

The bolded party is why we are scratching our heads on why Claude would insert Bart over Dougie. I'm not a big believer In the left And right handedness. What next Bart skates much better on the right side over Dougie so let's put Bart in instead.

You weren't scratching your head about it. You already knew the reason. Claude is afraid to play rookies. But wait, he's playing a rookie anyway.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

Any one who's played defense in any level of hockey league can figure out that it's hogwash pretty fast. Your handedness really doesn't have much of an impact in any way, shape, or form. In fact, as a left handed shot, I prefer playing the right side, similar to the way Seidenberg performs better on his off side.

Afam*

So Claude is afraid to play Dougie becuase he doesn't have experience. But he'd rather play Bartkowski, who has even less experience?

Furthermore, I'm glad you don't run the Bruins. Just because you don't care what side a player plays, or it's not a valid excuse for you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. They've been just fine without Dougie in 3 of these 5 games. Hell, they even lost the one game he did play.

The fall back plan it seems when someone can't agree to disagree with someone is to say I'm glad you don't run the Bruins. None of us run the bruins so that statement is mute. Anyways Claude is not perfect in his decision making. Also I said the handedness stuff is myth because to me it's not a logical reason to bench one of best defenseman over the direction he shoots the back. Add to that you add in a even less experienced player in Bart. Deep inside Dougie is not happy about not playing. You don't bench a player who has been playing for you all season and then add to players in redden and Bart and scratch Hamilton.

What makes it even worse what is the pathetic excuse that they used to scratch Hamilton. That he was getting some rest. Give me a break.

How do you know that Dougie wouldn't score a goal or improve our pp if he is given a fair chance to play.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Any one who's played defense in any level of hockey league can figure out that it's hogwash pretty fast. Your handedness really doesn't have much of an impact in any way, shape, or form. In fact, as a left handed shot, I prefer playing the right side, similar to the way Seidenberg performs better on his off side.

Maybe "handedness" is the wrong word, but the sides do matter. I played defense when I was younger and I too preferred playing the right side as a left handed shot. I couldn't play the left side. You often hear announcers talk about how a defenseman gets caught on the wrong side of the ice.

Hamilton played, and to fit him in they had to switch the pairs around. Playing Bartkowski gave them a more defensive minded guy (they've done just fine without Hamilton as the PMD so far) that they could just plug in and not move change the other pairs.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The fall back plan it seems when someone can't agree to disagree with someone is to say I'm glad you don't run the Bruins. None of us run the bruins so that statement is mute. Anyways Claude is not perfect in his decision making. Also I said the handedness stuff is myth because to me it's not a logical reason to bench one of best defenseman over the direction he shoots the back. Add to that you add in a even less experienced player in Bart. Deep inside Dougie is not happy about not playing. You don't bench a player who has been playing for you all season and then add to players in redden and Bart and scratch Hamilton.

What makes it even worse what is the pathetic excuse that they used to scratch Hamilton. That he was getting some rest. Give me a break.

How do you know that Dougie wouldn't score a goal or improve our pp if he is given a fair chance to play.

Claude certainly is not perfect in his decision making. I've never said he was. Dougie is not, at this time, one of the Bruins' best defensemen. He just isn't. He will be, very soon. He was given a fair chance to play already in game 2. The exact same fair chance that Bartkowski got. Redden, IMO has been fine all series. I've been pleasantly surprised by his play.

Claude likes to roll with the guys with experience. I really don't see why that's such a huge problem for so many people, especially when he isn't just blatantly scratching a better player for a veteran. You don't give chances and try and see what works in the playoffs. You play the guys you know can get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Afam*

You are making too much sense. Don't worry we are not allowed to question Claude decision making. He is perfect. Seriously though I agree with you and I'm still wondering in what world is Bart a better player in Dougie. At least I could understand putting redden and Ference ahead of Dougie but not Bartoskwi.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
You are making too much sense. Don't worry we are not allowed to question Claude decision making. He is perfect. Seriously though I agree with you and I'm still wondering in what world is Bart a better player in Dougie. At least I could understand putting redden and Ference ahead of Dougie but not Bartoskwi.

Knock it off with that crap. Nobody is saying you can't question him.

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
the sad thing about the way Claude handles things is that he adds so much pressure on guys that they can't play relaxed when they do get in.... if Hamilton does get a chance now, he will be gripping his stick so tight will be hard not to make mistakes... noticed the same with Seguin before, so scared to make a mistake in his rookie year I think Claude damaged him as a player

hopefully Soderberg will be ok

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
should have had bart on the PP instead of ference, hes faster and better with the puck. no doubt he plays it in providence so why put someone on the PP who hasnt played it all year?

should have Dougie instead of Bart

Bart is an AHLer, Dougie may lack inexpereince but he has the tools to be a dman fine defenseman... Bart doesn't.

Rather have seen Dougie get a shot than Claude reverting back to the "safe choice"

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Did anyone miss game two? Dougie was pretty awful and the whole defense was a mess to fit him in.

Bart isn't particularly ready either but Bart could be added in without having to totally rework the defense.

Also earlier in the season they had Dougie skating left side and he didn't do so well there.

I think the coaching staff decided it would be better to bring in Bart than fit Dougie in.

I think Dougie played very well during the regular season but he isn't really being screwed over. Bart may not be a future top 2 defenseman (I think Dougie will be) but right now he is stronger on the puck when challenged physically.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Did anyone miss game two? Dougie was pretty awful and the whole defense was a mess to fit him in.

Bart isn't particularly ready either but Bart could be added in without having to totally rework the defense.

Also earlier in the season they had Dougie skating left side and he didn't do so well there.

I think the coaching staff decided it would be better to bring in Bart than fit Dougie in.

I think Dougie played very well during the regular season but he isn't really being screwed over. Bart may not be a future top 2 defenseman (I think Dougie will be) but right now he is stronger on the puck when challenged physically.

You make valid points... but our PP has been absymal, I like to think Dougie could add something there and bring something Bart doesn't.... high end skill.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH

that is sort of true...he is several years older and has been playing in the pros for a lot longer than Hamilton AKA he has a lot more experience to draw from than does Hamilton.

That said...I would prefer Hamilton....get the boy some EXP for the future.

BudMovin*

Liked what I saw from him this season. He probably replaces either Redden or Ference next year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Sorry, fellow Husky, but I've got to disagree here.

To most coaches it is not hogwash at all.

For whatever reason, left handed shooters are much more adept at playing either side. But a righthand shot always looks lost on the left side. Rarely see it at the pro level.

Seidenberg is better on the right side because of his extremely strong backhand (like Chara), allowing him to move pucks up the boards in the defensive zone as well as keeping the puck in at the point with the backhand on the boards.

Lots of players say they prefer the opposite side because they have a better shooting angle that way. Players like to shoot. But coaches are a bit more concerned with there Dmen being in an advantageous position for playing defense.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
I always thought the defenseman "handedness" was mostly a concern for whether they take pucks off the boards on their forehands (yes, please) or backhand (trainwreck). And that seems pretty damned important in this system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad