Barry Trotz's tenure as Caps coach (RS: Healthy; Playoff: 2nd Round Exititis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burakovsky95*

What do you guys think of Trotzy so far?

Love the guy. I can see why he lasted forever in Nashville. It's so refreshing after what we've went through the past 2 years with arguably the worst coach in our history.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Love the guy. I can see why he lasted forever in Nashville. It's so refreshing after what we've went through the past 2 years with arguably the worst coach in our history.

Glad to hear it. He is an awesome guy and an awesome coach. We need a change here (and it's working, points in every game so far) but no ill will towards Trotz at all. I'm curious to see how he does with Ovi. Far and away the best forward he has ever coached.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Glad to hear it. He is an awesome guy and an awesome coach. We need a change here (and it's working, points in every game so far) but no ill will towards Trotz at all. I'm curious to see how he does with Ovi. Far and away the best forward he has ever coached.

So far Ovechkin is looking as good as he has in 5 years. Oates got him scoring on the PP again but Trotz has him back to hitting and being a dangerous ES player. Only 5 games tho so we'll see.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
frankly speaking, he has got far more competent roster comparing to Oates. Just imagine, there's no more rookie carousel in defence!

Oates make the playoffs and keeps his job if he just doesn't micromanage the goaltenders. The rotating rookies would have survived had the defense corp been allowed to play something of a normal game. They all regressed.

Trotz is great. There are no problems with Ov.

There are some, it appears, that thought Trotz was going to bring some strangling defensive style of game that offensively gifted players would rebel against. Its nothing like that. His system so far seems to be the best system for Mike Green to succeed in. Those thinking stifling defense wouldn't have guessed that.

really, the main question is the playoffs. if trotz succeeds in proving that the Caps were a solid ship that tipped over and just needed to be righted, the the playoff expectations will return. Trotz has no experience coaching a team with expectations.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
frankly speaking, he has got far more competent roster comparing to Oates. Just imagine, there's no more rookie carousel in defence!

Trotz takes last years team to the playoffs.

Oates was brutal in the style of play, his "system", his micro managment of every player at every position, throwing players under the bus and benching key players for no reason (Orlov in minors, Erat to press box)

The rookie carousel on D was in part due to Oates. We had a very good young dman who had NHL experience just stashed away in the minors for very little reason while he forced a clearly not ready 19 year old to play. He also told Erskine to play even tho Erskine blatently told him he's not 100%.

There is no excuse for Oates. Don't go there.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
adam-oates-bap-golf.jpg
do u know where oates is now ?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What if's are never as easy as you think. If the Caps had Forsberg, what else would be different? You don't get to keep Forsberg and place him with Gmac and Trotz and Bura and Kuznetsov and Wilson. Lets say McPhee traded the pick that Bura was taken with instead? Or lets say not getting Erat lead to missing the playoffs and McPhee was fired then and the new GM backed Prior instead of Leonsis backing Oates?

Here's an interesting question. Who's better? The Caps with Trotz or the Preds without him?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Force is strong with Trotz.

I can't believe we haven't given up 30 shots yet. It was commonplace with Oates.

Caps games are actually FUN to watch again.

First time since pre HBO camera's and 8 game losing streak in 10-11.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The Curse of HBO. We have not been the same since then. I bet the guys hated the camera in the room. Well, all but Laich Brouwer and Sack Grabber.

Home Blow Out

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...mments-on--alex-ovechkin-s-mom-195137327.html

Trotz not happy with Healy trying to pull the "coach killer" card on Ovie. What is up with this ****? PD notes Crosby has had one more coach than Ovie and you never hear "coach killer" thrown around at him.

Do people like Healy even watch hockey games, or do they just cash checks based on their names and whatever they can repeat from blogs they read?

Anyway, putting this here because it's more about Trotz to me than Ovie. Don't need to bump any old anti-Ovie threads over this.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@JillCSN: #CapitalsTalk Trotz- "It's taking the easy way out... I get the feeling we play as hard as we just need to"

Ding ding ding.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
@JillCSN: #CapitalsTalk Trotz- "It's taking the easy way out... I get the feeling we play as hard as we just need to"

Ding ding ding.

Yup. The Slack mentality. It's been here for years. Do just enough to get through. Skate only as hard as you need to. Push the real effort back as late in the season as possible, and just make the playoffs. Maybe you'll get lucky. If not, it is what it is. Whatever.

It's a culture of complacency that comes from the sense of destiny and entitlement that was marketed into the psyche of these players. They bought their own press and life was good.

Then Montreal happened, and things haven't been the same since.

I wonder how many of these guys are obsessed with the game enough to spend a lot of their spare time working on it, and how many are barely available for team practice?

I also wonder just how much power Trotz has to reshape this roster...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Trotz is effectively BMac's boss. I think he has all the power necessary with the limitation being the league wide ability of any team to make changes

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We've outshot 9 out of 11 teams we've played.

We've carried play more and outchanced them in each of those 9 games. There is another team of professionals on the other side of the ice that is not just going to get totally dominated for 60 minutes.

The direction is good. I like Trotz's mentality and not letting the players think this.

We need more out of our goalies.

We are giving up the 3rd fewest shots per game. The problem is we are giving up the 12th most goals per game.

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Barry Trotz's is a good coach. But he is not a wizard. He can't give anyone a heart, courage or a brain. And that is the three things this team is really missing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Barry Trotz's is a good coach. But he is not a wizard. He can't give anyone a heart, courage or a brain. And that is the three things this team is really missing.

and right now one of the few players showing all three of those things is 52.

so, how do the caps fix this problem? trade them all including 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad