Barry Trotz's tenure as Caps coach (RS: Healthy; Playoff: 2nd Round Exititis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
FWIW, last year the Preds missed the playoffs by 3 points, just like the Caps. They had 8 more ROW than the Caps but a horrible shootout record (2-9), probably 2nd worst in the league next to NJ (0-13).

They did this in a tough Western Conference at a -26 goal differential and a total cap hit $5.5M below the Caps (22nd highest vs 6th highest), with nearly $8M of that hit coming from goaltending (compared to less than $3M for the Caps), close to the same amount as Washington spent on defense ($16M+), and about 75% as much spent on forwards ($10M less!)

Given how Oates seemed to be almost TRYING to hamstring his own team, and given what Trotz did in Nashville, I would think Barry can fall out of bed and make the playoffs next year with very little change to the roster.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
FWIW, last year the Preds missed the playoffs by 3 points, just like the Caps. They had 8 more ROW than the Caps but a horrible shootout record (2-9), probably 2nd worst in the league next to NJ (0-13).

They did this in a tough Western Conference at a -26 goal differential and a total cap hit $5.5M below the Caps (22nd highest vs 6th highest), with nearly $8M of that hit coming from goaltending (compared to less than $3M for the Caps), close to the same amount as Washington spent on defense ($16M+), and about 75% as much spent on forwards ($10M less!)

Given how Oates seemed to be almost TRYING to hamstring his own team, and given what Trotz did in Nashville, I would think Barry can fall out of bed and make the playoffs next year with very little change to the roster.

And Rinne missed a lot of the season with an injury too. If they hadn't been forced to give 56 starts to Chris Hutton and Marek Mazenac, they probably would've made the playoffs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I heard Trotz on 106.7 this morning, saying all the right things. The one I liked best, was that he expects our forwards to be more physical. Separating players from pucks. This does not bode well for MJ and Kuznetsov.

He says he wants to play aggressive, but be smart defensively, of course. Be able to clog up neutral up a few goals late.

He did touch on Mr Minus 2014 and said Hasek used to say that all great offensive players open the year -10 because they are racking up PP goals and the team simply does not need to score 5-5. He said it was an aberration for the most part. I wish he would have spoken of the listless play of his 2 swedish linemates.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's a part of me that wants to give Olie a chance under someone less meddlesome than Oates. He's been loyal to the franchise, was a disciple of Prior, and I doubt he'd get another NHL job if he's fired.

There's another part of me that just wants to bring Dave Priror back, since his results with the organization have been so positive. Maybe even keep Olie around in his old minor league role.

Then there's the part of me that says, **** 'em both, it's Mitch God Damn Korn.

Liberati0n*

Really asking: What is the basis for believing Mitch Korn is so good? If it's just that goalies have played well under him...what does that really tell us? That means he's competent, but why do people throw out words like genius? Is there a reason?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I heard Trotz on 106.7 this morning, saying all the right things. The one I liked best, was that he expects our forwards to be more physical. Separating players from pucks. This does not bode well for MJ and Kuznetsov.

He says he wants to play aggressive, but be smart defensively, of course. Be able to clog up neutral up a few goals late.

He did touch on Mr Minus 2014 and said Hasek used to say that all great offensive players open the year -10 because they are racking up PP goals and the team simply does not need to score 5-5. He said it was an aberration for the most part. I wish he would have spoken of the listless play of his 2 swedish linemates.

Fully healthy Kuznetsov is fairly physical and is a merciless forechecker.

We're yet to see a fully healthy Kuznetsov in DC.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Fully healthy Kuznetsov is fairly physical and is a merciless forechecker.

We're yet to see a fully healthy Kuznetsov in DC.

Excellent news.

Back to the problem, he is injury prone.

I could see him favoring his shoulder within just a few games in Washington.

Let's hope he rehabs and gets a little stronger over the summer.

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
Really asking: What is the basis for believing Mitch Korn is so good? If it's just that goalies have played well under him...what does that really tell us? That means he's competent, but why do people throw out words like genius? Is there a reason?

Having had the opportunity to work with Mitch Korn a few times in the past as a young goalie, I can say the man is a goaltending genius. He pioneers new training and practice techniques, is thorough in the video room and presents a positive attitude to his students. The guy is great at his job and I'd absolutely want him here, even though I feel like Kolzig shouldn't just get cast aside.

Liberati0n*

Having had the opportunity to work with Mitch Korn a few times in the past as a young goalie, I can say the man is a goaltending genius. He pioneers new training and practice techniques, is thorough in the video room and presents a positive attitude to his students. The guy is great at his job and I'd absolutely want him here, even though I feel like Kolzig shouldn't just get cast aside.

Thanks for the answer.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
He said contradictory things though. He says Ovechkin isn't using his speed, so he wants to put him on the right side so he has to cross over to the left side on a breakaway?

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
If you haven't read this article about your new head coach, you should. It certainly reminds you of the more important things in life, and why this guy is so beloved in Nashville (where I have only spent two years, and they were two losing ones, but never laid as much blame on this guy as the GM for delivering sub-standard talent offensively.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b8445a-4336-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad