Barring Injury, How Long Does Matthews Stay a Leaf?

Barring Injury, How Long Does Matthews Stay a Leaf?

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A lot can change in this NHL. I have no idea. I assume he'll be here forever just like every Franchise player.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Well franchise players generally stay with their team through most of their career, so that's a good bet. What happens at the end of his career is a bit up in the air though.

This is the what's going to happen.

He's a franchise player and Toronto is finally putting the pieces together to be a contender. Despite years (decades!) of mismanagement and cellar-dwelling, Toronto is one of the best cities in the world to play pro hockey in. I can't see him leaving this.

The end of the career though? Very, very few players get to retire where they started. Not Gretz, not Orr, not Sundin, not Iginla.... So I think he'll finish somewhere else, and then they'll raise his jersey here.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's funny/weird how fanbases want to write their star's obituary from the team just as their career starts. :laugh:

It'd be a damn shame if Matthews didn't start and end his career as a Leaf.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think he's stays his whole career. The temptation in owning an original 6 record book, the money from endorsements playing in the biggest market,being a demi god if he ever wins a cup. Auston wants to be a super-star and one of the faces of the league, there is no better platform than Toronto.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's funny/weird how fanbases want to write their star's obituary from the team just as their career starts. :laugh:

It'd be a damn shame if Matthews didn't start and end his career as a Leaf.
Agreed, these threads are pretty dumb. He will be here until he retires or he's shown the door like Sundin was.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There is no reason to believe that Auston couldn't be a Leaf for life.

However there will come a point when he reaches UFA status in his career and it will then be tested a decade from now.

The only thing that would cause him to leave is that he is an American and as such might want to return to his home country and play in the States.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Have you ever been to Tampa? Or even Nashville for that matter?

No, but what's wrong with Toronto? I am sure those cities are nice, so are many other ones. But Toronto is great too. Stop thinking like Toronto is in a third world country or something. Toronto is an amazing city, especially for a millionaire athlete.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No, but what's wrong with Toronto? I am sure those cities are nice, so are many other ones. But Toronto is great too. Stop thinking like Toronto is in a third world country or something. Toronto is an amazing city, especially for a millionaire athlete.
Especially if he ends up one day marrying a local girl.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Toronto is cool. The absolute best place to play hockey.
FYI, I was being facetious ITT. If the Leafs don’t sign him to long term deal then it would be a travesty.

For selfish reason, if he was to leave Toronto, I wouldn’t be hurt if he signed with Tampa.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What a silly thread....

We are all banking on him being here for a decade plus.

Why can't we just bloody enjoy it, rather than stupid speculation?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If the leafs win a cup, I could see him leaving the team after his 2nd deal with the leafs. (so sometime in 11-13 years) and play for the coyotes once he's 35+. But again I only see that if he wins a cup here.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Gerry's percentages: "Auston Matthews will stay with Toronto for the rest of his career!" (*Softer voice* "That son of a ***** better leave and sign with my Coyotes. Gawwd does Gerry need Auston on his Coyotes. Dahlin, too.")

99%.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's a Leaf for life! :popcorn:

Most draft picks, especially #1 overalls usually stick it out with the team that drafted them. Auston is a great kid, who thinks about others (Sick Kids) and is well beyond his years. Of course, no one knows what the future holds but it's highly unlikely he leaves Toronto. We have a real management team made up of hockey greats, he has a great supporting cast around him (Rielly, Marner, Nylander, Hyman, Brown, Zaitsev, Dermott, etc) - it's a perfect situation.

If he decides to go anywhere, most likely it would be for his hometown team, Arizona. The good thing is, Arizona likely won't even have a team by the time he reaches UFA, if we even let him get that far. He'll bring his fellow Arizonian girlfriend Jordyn Johnsonn along to Toronto eventually and he'll be fine :)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He moves back home to warm Arizona to be with his Dad when he’s done hockey in Toronto

Well, his Dad and Mum are in Toronto a lot. If Lou hears rumblings about Matthews going back to Arizona,(during his playing career) Lou contacts Canada Customs and bars the parents from leaving Canada. Yep, he'll be life time Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad