Barring Injury, How Long Does Matthews Stay a Leaf?

Barring Injury, How Long Does Matthews Stay a Leaf?

• Total voters

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Barring injury (knock on wood), how long do you see Auston staying in Toronto? I don't have much a sense of his commitment to the franchise from the clips I've seen of him. Don't know if I see him spending his entire career in the Blue and White (though it would be awesome to have another Sundin-type tenure).

Just curious how people see his career with the Leafs playing out.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Assume he's here for his career until you have a reason to doubt it. Guys didn't want to leave here. Americans Kessel and JVR wanted or want to sign long term contracts here. Toronto has historically not had a hard time keeping guys once they are here.

Reactions: Kelly

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Tbh I'd probably expect him to play in Arizona for a season or two in the twilight of his career, well if there's still an ARI team when it comes

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Leaf for life.

I have to think now that we finally have a player this good drop into our laps we'll be smart enough to keep him.

Reactions: IWD

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I think it's clear he wants to win here. He has tons of support with Babcock, Shanny etc., he's the face of the franchise and is complemented nicely by Nylander, Marner, Rielly etc. I think he sees the opportunity and I doubt he has any desire to leave any time soon.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m expecting he’ll only sign one more contract in Toronto then it’s off to California or Tampa.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Leaf for atleast very long-term. How many players have left a club in their prime since the salary cap was implemented?

Off the ice, I can't think of anywhere he can make more money, outside of maybe NYR if leads them to a cup. He already has a sizeable deal with Scotia, and I don't think it will be long before he has a Bell or Rogers one (probably the same one McDavid got as they can justify it for market appeal), McDonald's/Tim Hortons, and a Canadian Tire/Sport Check.

If he develops into a top 5 player in the league, he will get a couple big deals. That's before factoring in, that Leafs legends makes 100 to 200 thousand a year (Clark and Sittler) doing golf appearences for charity, paid speaking events, golf tournament appearences, etc if he wants to settle within driving distance of the city.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
He either sticks for life or pulls a Sundin in like 15 years...not like we can't surround him with talent or pay him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leaf for atleast very long-term. How many players have left a club in their prime since the salary cap was implemented?

Off the ice, I can't think of anywhere he can make more money, outside of maybe NYR if leads them to a cup. He already has a sizeable deal with Scotia, and I don't think it will be long before he has a Bell or Rogers one (probably the same one McDavid got as they can justify it for market appeal), McDonald's/Tim Hortons, and a Canadian Tire/Sport Check.

If he develops into a top 5 player in the league, he will get a couple big deals. That's before factoring in, that Leafs legends makes 100 to 200 thousand a year (Clark and Sittler) doing golf appearences for charity, paid speaking events, golf tournament appearences, etc if he wants to settle within driving distance of the city.

Could easily see him sticking around Toronto a bit post-career. He's put in some serious time at sick kids hospital.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He could basically be the NHL's Kobe Bryant, one of the biggest stars in the biggest market, having a ton of success.

Why leave the biggest stage for something worse.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well franchise players generally stay with their team through most of their career, so that's a good bet. What happens at the end of his career is a bit up in the air though.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He moves back home to warm Arizona to be with his Dad when he’s done hockey in Toronto

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The team obviously still has unfinished business at this (early) point. He's a franchise level talent, so I'd expect him to remain consistently upper tier throughout his career. As long as he'd want to be a Leaf, I'd hope we'd want the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad