Barrie Colts 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitsy

Mar 21, 2015
Just watched the highlights of the final game vs Belleville. VERY classy move by the Colts to hang around and applaud the Bulls at the end of the game!

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Well theres the sweep. Bulls played the colts hard, and its only going to get tougher with North Bay looking like the likely 2nd round opponent. Hopefully Lemieux is back soon.

Yeah, North Bay is going to be tough. Great goaltending and a solid defensive system. Williamson always had Bulter's number, but Stan appears to have Hawerchuk's...

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Sounds like Lemieux and Pastorious are very close to returning according to Gene Pereira on twitter. Here's hoping they're back friday, or sunday at the latest. Going to need a full lineup to beat North Bay.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Any thoughts on the upcoming draft as to who Barrie might take.

On another note, not so sure I like these compensation picks. The fact that Niagra and OS get a second 1st round pick and the fact that Windsor and London get to keep their 1st round pick, doesn't seem to fair to the teams that follow them in the draft.

Niether of the remaining teams in the league had anything to do with the ramifications of what happened. example in Barrie 's case we are scheduled to pick in the 19th position, but in reality it is actually 21st. In addition those teams that pick after Barrie are actually picking in the second round.

It would seem to me, to be fair, the team which acquires the player should forfeit their 1st round selection to the other plus what every additional picks etc are arranged, thus not affecting the rest of the league.

Perhaps it is time to resind the rule of trading 1st round picks.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf

I have no problem with trading 1st round picks; matter of fact I scratch my head with the disparity between the OHL and the Q and Dub.
I watch alot of games in the Dub and half the hits would be called in the Ohl, however, that's a whole other thread !

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie

On another note, not so sure I like these compensation picks. The fact that Niagra and OS get a second 1st round pick and the fact that Windsor and London get to keep their 1st round pick, doesn't seem to fair to the teams that follow them in the draft.

Niether of the remaining teams in the league had anything to do with the ramifications of what happened. example in Barrie 's case we are scheduled to pick in the 19th position, but in reality it is actually 21st. In addition those teams that pick after Barrie are actually picking in the second round.

It would seem to me, to be fair, the team which acquires the player should forfeit their 1st round selection to the other plus what every additional picks etc are arranged, thus not affecting the rest of the league.

A few thoughts on the upcoming draft. With the first round pick I see a lot of mock drafts having the colts picking a defensemen named Robert Proner. With the defensive depth in the organization it doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Id rather the pick go towards a forward, but not to sure who would be best around 19th. Mackenzie Entwistle from what I hear is a big two way centre, which could be a good fit and many have him in the 18 to 22 range.

Some local players that I have watched several times this year and liked were Morgan Frost, Tyler Burnie and Macauley Carson and could be a good choice in later rounds.

As with the rule of getting an extra first round pick for your previous player not reporting, I am not a fan at all of that rule and like how you changed it. When Owen Sound and Niagara traded those players they got compensated quite well..they dont need another first rounder back. One correction, the colts will be picking 19th, and if it wasn't for the two extras they would be picking 17th.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
A few thoughts on the upcoming draft. With the first round pick I see a lot of mock drafts having the colts picking a defensemen named Robert Proner. With the defensive depth in the organization it doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Id rather the pick go towards a forward, but not to sure who would be best around 19th. Mackenzie Entwistle from what I hear is a big two way centre, which could be a good fit and many have him in the 18 to 22 range.

Some local players that I have watched several times this year and liked were Morgan Frost, Tyler Burnie and Macauley Carson and could be a good choice in later rounds.

As with the rule of getting an extra first round pick for your previous player not reporting, I am not a fan at all of that rule and like how you changed it. When Owen Sound and Niagara traded those players they got compensated quite well..they dont need another first rounder back. One correction, the colts will be picking 19th, and if it wasn't for the two extras they would be picking 17th.

Yes you are rite, sorry about that. got caught up in the disparity of the compensation picks.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Well any predictions on the series.

IMO, assumimg both teams play up to par, I see the series going 6-7 games with 50/50 shot for both teams. The winner will be the one with the best goaltending.
I believe we will see mostly a tight series with a couple of blow outs. I think this will be a physical hard fought series, but belief it won't boil over.

Now hows that for fence sitting.:laugh:

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
A run-and-gun offense going up against a team that prides itself on defense. Something will have to give.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
My prediction is pretty much the same. About a 50/50 chance either team wins in 7 games. I think this could be the best series of the playoffs thus far. Too bad sportsnet has to show London and Erie all the time, as this would have been a good one to have nationally televised.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Wasn't able to catch the game, anybody wanna give their take. I see Blandisi had 3 minors including " Diving ". I had turned to my spouse and noted that he had better score after the 3rd call.( we were monitoring the score online ). Lemieux back in the lineup, which I'm sure NB was not thrilled with. Mr Blackwood continues his strong playoffs with some crazy stats.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
It was a pretty good, and as expected very close game. Colts were probably slightly better in the first, and in the 2nd once again close, with North Bay controlling the play a bit towards the end. 3rd period I thought was a lot tighter defensively, and after the colts got the 3-2 goal, North Bay pressed hard. As for the penalties, the refs were questionable for about a period and a half, which would have lead to that so called diving penalty, but luckily the refs let pretty much everything go for the 3rd period. Blackwood was great, as you said 2Coltsfans, and the Harpur-Laser pair was very good. Lemieux also had a very good first game back. Can't wait for game 2 on Sunday!

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
One of the best, if not the best game we've seen at the BMC this year. It was nice to see Lemeiux back even if he isn't 100% yet. A healthy Lemeiux, Pastorius, Kriess, with Carrick and Kaura back in the lineup will add the physical intensity the Colts need.
Anyway hoping we can be treated to many more games like last nite.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I see that Cassaro was drafted in the 13th round. Any reason why he didn't go earlier outside of size? Heading to the US perhaps?

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Really liked the colts picks in the draft today. Took some chances on some college committed players, and addressed the lack of depth for forwards for the prospects. Tortora is small, but very skilled. If he grows, look out. Also really like the Peca pick in the 6th round.

As to your question Mathletic, I don't know anything about that player, but his size doesn't seem to bad. I'll give him an extra look when he's at the spring rookie camp.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Well, I can't say the colts played poorly yesterday. Playing against North Bay's trap they have to be more careful carrying the puck up the middle as North Bay's defence caused a lot of turnovers again. Saying that, I thought almost everyone played well, and Nick Paul's game winning goal was on a perfectly placed shot, and after that the trap was in full effect and the colts couldn't get much going. Kreis and Radke showed some good chemistry I thought. Hopefully that continues.

Going to be tough, but the colts need to win at least one game in North Bay this week.

CheckU

Nov 30, 2011
If the Colts continue to play like they did last night, in another week we will all be chatting on the Off-Season thread.

Best player on the ice last night, in my opinion was Radke. I loved his hustle, and determination, nothing fancy, just strong to and on the puck.

I have no idea what is going on, if anything in the dressing room, but it certainly looks like several players are not getting along, to the point it looks almost childish, so they are not passing it to a team mate because they do not like them. Again no insight here, just making an observation.

Might I suggest they throw in some crisp tape to tape passes, maybe more shots on net, turn off the turnover machine. It was awful last night, and once North Bay got the lead, the Butler trap style of hockey was implemented perfectly.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Can you guys tell me how Labanc has looked throughout the playoffs so far? Doesn't seem to be putting up the numbers, not sure if because he is snakebit or just playing bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad