Barrie Colts 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
With the new season here what is everyone's thoughts for the upcoming season?

Any surprises so far, are the colts going to buy - sell- or stand pat?

My thoughts on the colts for this season are they have a pretty solid top 6 with Blandisi, Lemieux, Mangiapane, Labanc, and Hooey while adding Radke. Kreis has had a great preseason and if he can carry this to the regular season I feel he could fit into the top 6 as well. Other surprises up front for me would have to be Pastorious, as well as James. As of right now there is one forward spot open and the colts will have to choose between Rollo, Carbonara and Chiodo. All 3 have been okay but I think Rollo will get the last spot.

On defence, Garcia and Carrick look a lot better, especially Carrick in my opinion. Andersson looks great and took no time adjusting to the OHL and should be playing top minutes while running the power play. Laser and Webster both seem about the same as last season, which isn't a bad thing as they both came off of career years. The new guys in Gagnon and Kaura should be fine but I think the colts should look to add a veteran defencemen eventually to add a bit more depth and experience.

Goaltending is set with Blackwood as the starter. He was very good in the games I saw him in. Gibl was a bit shaky and inconsistent but he has shown improvement over last season and I think he will find some consistency once the season starts.

Overall I think they will finish top 4 in the east and will stand pat or add a few pieces like last season depending on where they are at near the deadline.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
not sure about the top 4 in the east. I feel that NF, Fronts, and the Petes will battle for first, with the 4th to 8th being a battle between NB, Oshawa, Belleville, and Barrie. it will be interesting to see how improved Ottawa and Mississauga are this year.

I believe Blandisi will be a major factor in Barries success/failure this year. I have been
impressed with Radke and Andersen as well as improvements with Garcia and Carrick. Although I am still not sold on Garcia, hopefully he will make me a believer. Overall I feel the team is lacking a quality sniper, an impact player, and the defence is going to be a concern.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
not sure about the top 4 in the east. I feel that NF, Fronts, and the Petes will battle for first, with the 4th to 8th being a battle between NB, Oshawa, Belleville, and Barrie. it will be interesting to see how improved Ottawa and Mississauga are this year.

I believe Blandisi will be a major factor in Barries success/failure this year. I have been
impressed with Radke and Andersen as well as improvements with Garcia and Carrick. Although I am still not sold on Garcia, hopefully he will make me a believer. Overall I feel the team is lacking a quality sniper, an impact player, and the defence is going to be a concern.

I agree on Niagara and the petes on being tops in the east. Not sure about the Fronts as they only have 3 returning defencemen from last year and don't have a experienced goalie, and as we know well around here that could cost you a game once in a while. I feel think Blandisi can be that impact player IF he's healthy and he looks like he is. I'm still not sold on Garcia as well. all the tools are there to be a puck moving top 4 defencemen he still makes a few too many mistakes and thats what makes me think we need a experienced defencemen if they're going to go for it again this year as we are a little inexperienced back there.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Well I belief if Bennett is returned to junior, he will definitely have a huge impact with the Fronts. He may very well be the best player in jr hockey this year. I belief the Fronts have enough picks available to acquire a few players, and if Crouse has the year expected they could be very hard to beat.
Anyway back to the Colts. Defensively they are young, inexperienced, and not very deep. Laser is probably their best D but realistically not a top 2 d. Webster is more likely in the bottom 3rd pairing category. Garcia is still having trouble with the mental aspect of the game. Andersen looks like he may be our best d by Xmas, hopefully? The rest Kaura, Gagnon, Carrick are rookies, but hopefully they can carry their own. It appears that Clutsam is gone?
Yes it would be nice to acquire a vet on d.
We agree that Blandisi should have a breakout year, but I think the real improvement is going to have to come from Kriess, Mangipani, Scott, James, Labanc, and Hooey.

I have been impressed with Radke and hopefully young Smith will be able to contribute a little.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
"We agree that Blandisi should have a breakout year, but I think the real improvement is going to have to come from Kriess, Mangipani, Scott, James, Labanc, and Hooey."

What ??? No love for Lemieux ???

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Mouse- I agree 100% with what you say there and based on what I've seen in the preseason guys like Kreis, Mangiapane,Labanc, Scott, James and Hooey are poised for big years. Kreis is a lot bigger and stronger this year and the talent was always there. Labanc seems to be finally using his speed and big shot to his advantage and Mangiapane I think will build on last year. Hooey has been good, but he had a hot start last year in Belleville too, so we will have to wait and see. Same with James and Scott. Both look better but I'm still not sure what type of numbers they can put up.

2Coltsfans- Lemieux will be a huge piece this year, and his skating was once a issue and is now a asset. I think his breakout year was last season but I wouldn't be surprised to seem him put up 35 goals- 30 assists.

EDIT: Clutsam is playing for the Elmira Sugar Kings I heard.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Thanks for the update on Clutsam. I read Blandisi and Lemeuix are going to Buffalos(?)main camp, and Lebanc has returned to Barrie.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Thanks for the update on Clutsam. I read Blandisi and Lemeuix are going to Buffalos(?)main camp, and Lebanc has returned to Barrie.

Correct. I think both will probably be back early next week. It also looks like Rollo has signed to play with the Oakville Blades this year so the last forward spot should be between Carbonara and Chiodo now.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Interesting with Rollo. Last I read the battle for the last spot was between him and Carbonara.

I was impressed with Chiodo's compete but wow is he ever tiny. Don't know much about Carbonara other than first impressions and he seems to be a little tentative, perhaps nerves don't know.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
What ??? No love for Lemieux ???

Yes forgot about Lemieux.
Really enjoy watching him play, he is entertaining, but he needs to shut up! Can be a very effective player when he comes to play and stays out of the box. If the preseason is any indication I think the officials are just going to toss him every chance they get. He could be looking at over 20 minutes a game in the PB.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Yes forgot about Lemieux.
Really enjoy watching him play, he is entertaining, but he needs to shut up! Can be a very effective player when he comes to play and stays out of the box. If the preseason is any indication I think the officials are just going to toss him every chance they get. He could be looking at over 20 minutes a game in the PB.

Kid is a really good hockey player, plays on the edge and it doesn't help his cause at all with the name on the back of his jersey. His game equates to probably playing professional someday. It's too bad the OHL has progressively gotten soft over the years under the guidance of "Sir Branch "

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Well I belief if Bennett is returned to junior, he will definitely have a huge impact with the Fronts. He may very well be the best player in jr hockey this year. I belief the Fronts have enough picks available to acquire a few players, and if Crouse has the year expected they could be very hard to beat.
Anyway back to the Colts. Defensively they are young, inexperienced, and not very deep. Laser is probably their best D but realistically not a top 2 d. Webster is more likely in the bottom 3rd pairing category. Garcia is still having trouble with the mental aspect of the game. Andersen looks like he may be our best d by Xmas, hopefully? The rest Kaura, Gagnon, Carrick are rookies, but hopefully they can carry their own. It appears that Clutsam is gone?
Yes it would be nice to acquire a vet on d.
We agree that Blandisi should have a breakout year, but I think the real improvement is going to have to come from Kriess, Mangipani, Scott, James, Labanc, and Hooey.

I have been impressed with Radke and hopefully young Smith will be able to contribute a little.

Mouse, do you think Barrie would be interested in Kreis' brother, a good d-man on a London team which has an ample supply of young prospects on the back end? I thought he played well in the mini camp, positionally sound, smart player, especially good in his own zone. It appears that he has earned a roster spot, but he could very well be the 8th or 9th d-man on the depth chart, and be relegated to Jr. B or Jr. A. I think he deserves playing time in the O this season, and it would be unfortunate if he languished in Jr. B or A.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Good question Nellie, however not knowing anything about young Mr. Kriess I really couldn't say. Barrie already has a lot of young D, 4 rookies on the roster and a couple of top picks in the system.
I admit it would be interesting for the Kriess's.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Looks like the colts are still waiting on Blandisi and Lemieux to come back from Buffalo. Hope both are back for thursday.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
I wish the both of them the best but I would be surprised if they both weren't back for Thursday.
I think the Colts will need to rack up as many points as possible early on.

Pony

Oct 30, 2011
Alright, who is up for taking a stab at the line combinations and D pairings? Of course they will be switched up every period, but here's my take.

Lemieux (if back)-Blandisi-Mangiapane
Kreis-Hooey-Labanc
Scott-James-Radke
Smith-Hawerchuk-Pastorious

Laser-Garcia
Webster-Andersson
Carrick-Kaura
Gagnon

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
I'll say the lines will be:

Lemieux-Blandisi-Mangiapane
Labanc-Hooey-Radke
Kreis-James-Scott
Smith-Pastorious-Chiodo/Hawerchuk/Carbonara

Laser-Andersson
Webster-Garcia
Carrick-Kaura
Gagnon

Blackwood
Gibl

CheckU

Nov 30, 2011
I like the lineup but I think this will be what is iced tonight:

Labanc-Blandisi-Mangiapane
Kreis-Hooey-Scott
Hawerchuk-James-Pastorious
Chiodo-Carbonara

Laser-Andersson
Webster-Carrick
Garcia-Kaura
Gagnon

Blackwood
Gibl

Remember Smith is serving the second game of his two game suspension, and Radke, Lemieux could be the scratches

Arjay

May 25, 2011
OHL site shows Smith with only 1 game, which would be tonight. No Lemieux at practice Wed. so wont play tonight!? Otherwise lines/pairings are pretty close - for starters!

ColtFan

Jan 10, 2014
OHL site shows Smith with only 1 game, which would be tonight. No Lemieux at practice Wed. so wont play tonight!? Otherwise lines/pairings are pretty close - for starters!

Radke has been given a one game suspension according to the OHL site, he will be missing tonight as well.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Rough start to the season. The Colts played well in the first, but it all fell apart in the 2nd and they were much better again in the 3rd. Smith and Radke back tomorrow should help, And maybe even Lemieux. I thought Andersson, Blandisi and Scott all had pretty good games. Now to get some revenge on the Battalion tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad