Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Dang that one sucks, unlucky mostly, oh well move on from it Merks
Nothing unlucky about it. It's shit positioning and a lazy play. No way should he have skated out that wide. He thought he was going to be slick but didn't expend the effort to be first to the puck. It's a pretty common theme with this kid. He plays like he has a defenseman behind him to clean up his mistakes instead of realizing he's supposed to be a defenseman.

Reactions: Mattb124

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
They haven't, but he's just had two good games in a row. Before that were two not-so-good ones. But if him coming up meant Jones is out, I'd be for it, so sure.
It seems like Jones may be done for a little while. Dubnyk getting start tonight even after last game. At least if Melnichuk come to the Sharks no one is as bad defensively as Merkley... even vlasic. :laugh:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Nothing unlucky about it. It's shit positioning and a lazy play. No way should he have skated out that wide. He thought he was going to be slick but didn't expend the effort to be first to the puck. It's a pretty common theme with this kid. He plays like he has a defenseman behind him to clean up his mistakes instead of realizing he's supposed to be a defenseman.

Sorry but you have defended Karlsson, who would and HAS made the exact kind of mistake Merkley did there this year, so stop the double standard crap.

It was unlucky, just like Karlsson earlier this year when he whiffed picking a puck up twice along the goal line trying to be slick, which lead directly to a goal. Both players were trying to make a play, and both players got unlucky since puck handling is generally both one of their strengths.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Sorry but you have defended Karlsson, who would and HAS made the exact kind of mistake Merkley did there this year, so stop the double standard crap.

It was unlucky, just like Karlsson earlier this year when he whiffed picking a puck up twice along the goal line trying to be slick, which lead directly to a goal. Both players were trying to make a play, and both players got unlucky since puck handling is generally both one of their strengths.
BS. I don't defend EK65 for no effort plays. I have said repeatedly that he played like shit the first part of this season. No double standard, don't make shit up. If the puck bounced over his stick that's one thing, this wasn't that. If EK65 did this I would say the same and have. With Merkley this isn't bad luck, it's. pattern of lazy play. He had about 6 plays of similar laziness in this game alone. I detailed how he had another one in the game before in another thread. He's a lazy player. Sharks will be better off moving him while he still has value from his pedigree. Every game he plays puts more of his "effort"on tape, the less he will be valued around the league.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
BS. I don't defend EK65 for no effort plays. I have said repeatedly that he played like shit the first part of this season. No double standard, don't make shit up. If the puck bounced over his stick that's one thing, this wasn't that. If EK65 did this I would say the same and have. With Merkley this isn't bad luck, it's. pattern of lazy play. He had about 6 plays of similar laziness in this game alone. I detailed how he had another one in the game before in another thread. He's a lazy player. Sharks will be better off moving him while he still has value from his pedigree. Every game he plays puts more of his "effort"on tape, the less he will be valued around the league.

If you really think that play was a lack of effort, we will never agree. Simple as that.

Merkley was clear as day TRYING to make a play there. If you want to argue it was an ill advised play fine, but it was not a lack of effort on that specific play.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Earlier in this thread you said you’ve watched one game this year. I understand that he has a reputation, but speaking in absolutes and writing him off after a few handfuls of games as a pro is very premature.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If you really think that play was a lack of effort, we will never agree. Simple as that.

Merkley was clear as day TRYING to make a play there. If you want to argue it was an ill advised play fine, but it was not a lack of effort on that specific play.
Totally fine with not agreeing. I've played D for over 30 years and I can diagnose exactly what he did right and wrong on that play. He's easy to figure out. But like I said, I watched the whole game. It was definitely lack of effort mixed with just atrocious positioning. Positioning he should have learned in Peewees. You almost never see a legit D-man put himself out of position like that. Sure he was "trying" to make a play. Not the right one, not the safe play... If he was really giving effort he would have made sure he was first to the puck. Instead he waited (lazy) and hoped it got to him before the opposing player got it. Go watch the whole game. He makes lazy ass plays like that all game long. He was a train wreck the whole game and it was a miracle that game went to overtime despite the Cuda outshooting the gulls by a ton.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Earlier in this thread you said you’ve watched one game this year. I understand that he has a reputation, but speaking in absolutes and writing him off after a few handfuls of games as a pro is very premature.
I also watched his preseason games last season and the scrimmages and now I've watched the last 2. Anyone putting up an effort like he did in that last game isn't on anyones list to play in the NHL anytime soon. Go watch the last 2 games like I did and come back and tell me with a straight face that you disagree with anything I've said here. I actually wish he would be the answer for the Sharks. That way maybe they can trade Burns while he has value and speed up this rebuild/refresh/reset, whatever they are trying to navigate. I know a ton of people are hanging the future success of the franchise on this kid but I think everyone needs to take a long hard look and then look elsewhere. It's painfully obvious to see why he was traded multiple times and why he isn't high on the list to be called up. I don't want to write him off, he has great vision and he looks phenomenal with the puck on his stick. But his lack of effort defensively is brutal. Multiple people here tried to convince me he has "elite speed & acceleration"... well, he's had numerous opportunities to show that off on the back check after he's been beat or caught out of position but he just coasts back like it isn't his man skating away on an odd man rush. I don't know if he's lost or doesn't give a shit but it's not acceptable at any level especially pro. I would rather use him as a trade chip to improve the team sooner because I don't see him playing in the NHL for another 2 years at a minimum with how he looks now. Pasinchuk looks better by a mile.

Quote from Sommer a week ago...
“He’s still got a ways to go before he makes an impact at the NHL level,” head coach Roy Sommer said Saturday morning. “He’s ‘work in progress.’”
“He’s still got to work on building his motor up a little bit,” Sommer said. “But other than that, he’s been pretty good.”

I'd be curious to hear what he thought after the last 2 games.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Chekhovich picked up a power play goal but Torpedo lost (1-4) and has been knocked out of the KHL playoffs.

He finishes the KHL season with 17 goals, 17 assists, +11, 16 PIM, and 101 shots in 43 games, plus 2 goals in 4 playoff games.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Chekhovich picked up a power play goal but Torpedo lost (1-4) and has been knocked out of the KHL playoffs.

He finishes the KHL season with 17 goals, 17 assists, +11, 16 PIM, and 101 shots in 43 games, plus 2 goals in 4 playoff games.

I wonder what the timetable will be for him to come back to the Barracuda.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I wonder what the timetable will be for him to come back to the Barracuda.

Looks like a minimum of seven days after returning to the U.S. I wouldn't expect him to play until next weekend at the earliest.

For what its worth, age-adjusted NHLe had him scoring at the same rate as his last two QMJHL seasons - around 45 points at his peak (naturally with big error bars around that). Hopefully he's in the mix for NHL time in the middle-six.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Looks like a minimum of seven days after returning to the U.S. I wouldn't expect him to play until next weekend at the earliest.

For what its worth, age-adjusted NHLe had him scoring at the same rate as his last two QMJHL seasons - around 45 points at his peak (naturally with big error bars around that). Hopefully he's in the mix for NHL time in the middle-six.

He will need to go to the AHL and establish himself there before he gets NHL time. There is already an abundance of wingers available that have earned ice time over him right now.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Meloche looks much the same as he did last year, solid with a physical streak. I was expecting to see him take a step forward now that he's looked decent in NHL time, but not a lot has changed with him apart from an improved shot.

I'm hoping Meloche can turn the corner. He seems like a physical Dman that would be solid depth if Boughner continues living the goon lyfe.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
He will need to go to the AHL and establish himself there before he gets NHL time. There is already an abundance of wingers available that have earned ice time over him right now.

And it'd be a great time to come to the Barracuda, with the taxi squad making the forward group a lot thinner. Could slot right in anywhere.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I also watched his preseason games last season and the scrimmages and now I've watched the last 2. Anyone putting up an effort like he did in that last game isn't on anyones list to play in the NHL anytime soon. Go watch the last 2 games like I did and come back and tell me with a straight face that you disagree with anything I've said here. I actually wish he would be the answer for the Sharks. That way maybe they can trade Burns while he has value and speed up this rebuild/refresh/reset, whatever they are trying to navigate. I know a ton of people are hanging the future success of the franchise on this kid but I think everyone needs to take a long hard look and then look elsewhere. It's painfully obvious to see why he was traded multiple times and why he isn't high on the list to be called up. I don't want to write him off, he has great vision and he looks phenomenal with the puck on his stick. But his lack of effort defensively is brutal. Multiple people here tried to convince me he has "elite speed & acceleration"... well, he's had numerous opportunities to show that off on the back check after he's been beat or caught out of position but he just coasts back like it isn't his man skating away on an odd man rush. I don't know if he's lost or doesn't give a shit but it's not acceptable at any level especially pro. I would rather use him as a trade chip to improve the team sooner because I don't see him playing in the NHL for another 2 years at a minimum with how he looks now. Pasinchuk looks better by a mile.

Quote from Sommer a week ago...
“He’s still got a ways to go before he makes an impact at the NHL level,” head coach Roy Sommer said Saturday morning. “He’s ‘work in progress.’”
“He’s still got to work on building his motor up a little bit,” Sommer said. “But other than that, he’s been pretty good.”

I'd be curious to hear what he thought after the last 2 games.
I don't think many people are putting it all on him to be a huge part of the future success of the franchise. He's super talented offensively, but we're all very aware of his warts. He is however only 20 years old. If he hasn't found a way to improve and become at least an average NHL defender in the next year, or year and half, then I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved. I would expect the Sharks to give him his entire ELC to figure it out though.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Dang that one sucks, unlucky mostly, oh well move on from it Merks

Not unlucky, terrible positioning and effort. Standing still/one and done poke check and forcing the puck carrier to the inside is just embarrassing.

Edit: and I flipped to the next page and see the good Dr. Had already provided similar commentary.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
McGrew takes a headshot and leaves the game towards the end of the second. Chmelevski drops the gloves as a response, but the fight doesn't really go anywhere:

Result of the play, 2 minute instigator to Chmelevski (and 10-min misconduct) and a Gulls PP.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
McGrew takes a headshot and leaves the game towards the end of the second. Chmelevski drops the gloves as a response, but the fight doesn't really go anywhere:

Result of the play, 2 minute instigator to Chmelevski (and 10-min misconduct) and a Gulls PP.

Player safety once again proven to not be important.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Hits him directly in the head, and the refs don't call anything? There needs to be a petition to completely remove the referees from the ice except for one who blows the whistle for all calls relayed to him by people watching on video. There needs to be more angles for everything that's going on, and they need to learn to call the game correctly. The subjectivity and stupidity of the refs is alarming.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

Glad the ahl is consistent with nhl officiating standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad