Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
...why?

Is he like a person of great character that the Sharks think can be a good, permanent, veteran presence?

Replacement for Keaton Middleton/Mike Downing that they're already familiar with? Costs them nothing that some other ECHL-quality defenseman would, but they might know what they're getting better than most.

Reactions: themelkman

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Anyone who watches the Barracuda have a take to offer on Thomas Gregoire?

Obviously tore up the Q a few years back and now has 33 points in 70 AHL games.

Last year, he was amongst some solid company for U-22 Dmen in terms of offensive output.

So I'm just trying to suss out if we have a decent prospect here? Only an AHL contract, right? He rarely gets mentioned but wasn't sure if that's because he doesn't have an ELC.

upload_2020-9-22_11-8-35.png

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Anyone who watches the Barracuda have a take to offer on Thomas Gregoire?

Obviously tore up the Q a few years back and now has 33 points in 70 AHL games.

Last year, he was amongst some solid company for U-22 Dmen in terms of offensive output.

So I'm just trying to suss out if we have a decent prospect here? Only an AHL contract, right? He rarely gets mentioned but wasn't sure if that's because he doesn't have an ELC.

View attachment 368454

Needs to work on a lot before I'd call him a decent NHL prospect. If you're just looking at points, then he's great.

He's small, not good positionally, and tries to defend by physically knocking people off the puck despite the fact he literally can't. Needs to figure out how to defend with his stick.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
SHARKS ANNOUNCE ORGANIZATIONAL COACHING STAFF | San Jose Barracuda

Cuda posted an article that showed the trickle-down resulting from Boughner's staff being announced.

Roy Sommer returns behind the Cuda bench.

Jimmy Bonneau and Michael Chiasson, who finished as co-coaches with the Cuda after Sommer was added to Boughner's staff, are back as Cuda Assistants.

John McCarthy, who stepped behind the bench after having to retire for health reasons last year, is now "AHL Development Coach"

The Cuda/Sharks also hired former NHL goalie Dany Sabourin as the Barracuda's Goalie Development Coach.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Needs to work on a lot before I'd call him a decent NHL prospect. If you're just looking at points, then he's great.

He's small, not good positionally, and tries to defend by physically knocking people off the puck despite the fact he literally can't. Needs to figure out how to defend with his stick.

Cheers, that's certainly interesting and probably explains the lack of coverage.

With regards to the points, is there a decent offensive Dman skillset to work with and develop, or is he a beneficiary of others driving the chances?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Cheers, that's certainly interesting and probably explains the lack of coverage.

With regards to the points, is there a decent offensive Dman skillset to work with and develop, or is he a beneficiary of others driving the chances?

Oh yeah, the offense is all him. He got regular PP time because he's one of the most creative guys we had on D. I'm actually a fan of Gregoire, in spite of what my last post probably sounded like.

Those defensive issues aren't small things, though, and hopefully he improves on them. It seems like stuff he should be able to correct, but also requires him to just fundamentally change how he plays in the defensive zone. He went through a cold offensive streak somewhere in February and they started scratching him, because if there's no offense, there's not much else he brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad