Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
He looks fine. He had flashes where he looked very good earlier in the season, but he hasn't stood out among a very mediocre group of defensemen. He's solid, but he hasn't done anything that'll wow you.

The more worrying thing is he's become the odd man out almost half the time lately. He's played in around half of the team's games over the span of the last month. It's a bit undeserved, but there isn't anyone on the blueline that I'd point at and say "Jeremy Roy should be playing over that guy." I'd rather they play 7D lately, considering how thin the forward group has been with all the callups. Given that Roy's an RFA at the end of the season, it's not a great trend.

Seems fairly obvious based both on his limited number of games and the fact he was sometimes used up front but is there any chance Roy is re-signed?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Seems fairly obvious based both on his limited number of games and the fact he was sometimes used up front but is there any chance Roy is re-signed?

If I had to put money on one option or the other, I'd say no. I'm on the fence on it, since it's not like we have more defense prospects apart from Pasichnuk coming in to edge him out of the Barracuda lineup. But if we re-signed him I'm not really convinced it'd be for anything more than AHL depth for next season.

It said a lot to me that the defense as a whole was a disappointment with the exception of maybe Carrick, and Roy still wasn't breaking into it regularly.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
That was to be expected. I have doubts his brother is qualified

Yeah, Keaton seems like a good locker room guy but I'm not sure he was ever going to progress past where he is now on the ice.

It's a bit jarring that AHL free agency has opened up, but since their season got scrapped early I guess AHL contracts expired July 1 as they were supposed to.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I thought the consensus was that Middleton is an NHL-level defenseman who has had some bad luck with injuries.
Mostly agree. Seemed like Jake Middleton finally made that jump to NHL caliber right before his knee injury. I think they'll hold onto him for one more season to see if he can come back from his injury.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Mostly agree. Seemed like Jake Middleton finally made that jump to NHL caliber right before his knee injury. I think they'll hold onto him for one more season to see if he can come back from his injury.
Im not so sure. With Knyzhkov(cant spell his name) emerging and Paschinuk signed id bet the sharks would rather they get chances before Middleton

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Im not so sure. With Knyzhkov(cant spell his name) emerging and Paschinuk signed id bet the sharks would rather they get chances before Middleton

Right! It appears that we have plenty of AHL level D prospects turning pro next season. Just not enough room.

Well hang on, Knyzhov only came up for a couple games because we were wracked with injuries and departures at that point and there weren't a ton of good options for a call-up. We were down Karlsson, Middleton and Ferraro along with Dillon being traded, it's not like Knyzhov came up because his play forced the issue. It was a little bit of a surprise he got the call, but I don't know that it mattered which Barracuda D-man came up that much.

I'm optimistic with Paschinuk, but he's a complete unknown at the pro level. I'm not sure who else from the Barracuda defense should be considered an NHL hopeful for the upcoming season at this stage. Middleton's at least had NHL action, I'd rather have him as a 7th defenseman than anyone else.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think you can totally just keep Middleton on the roster as a cheap long term 6th/7th defenseman if his recent play is indicative of future performance. Being a primarily defensive player with minimal reputation and hype, it's pretty unlikely he'll ever get paid that much.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I thought the consensus was that Middleton is an NHL-level defenseman who has had some bad luck with injuries.
thats what I saw. I thought he was looking very serviceable right before the injury. I kinda hope he makes it back to challenge for that 6th spot. Sharks need one big physical guy on the backend IMO.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Knyzhov received some pretty effusive praise from DW Jr and co. Apparently he was rock-solid in the AHL?

Eventually, I'd say yes. He took a while to get there. He was typically the odd man out in the early season, he just didn't look comfortable yet. Seriously, total games played, Keaton Middleton had more than him this season. But he became pretty solid on the back end in what seemed like no time at all in the last couple months. It was night and day.

I still would take Middleton over him in the NHL right now, because I'd rather have Knyzhov get some top-4 time in the AHL than ride the pine as a 7th defenseman with the Sharks. He's still got some work to do, three NHL games aren't going to convince me he's ready yet.

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
Knyzhov has been in North America for a long time now since 13-14, spent the last two seasons in VHL and KHL before coming back. His english is nearly perfect and he is clearly accustomed to the pro game in NA. I know everyone is excited about Pasichnuk but Knyzhov has just as much, if not a little more chance at making the Sharks next season as a call-up. We're set on LHD with Vlasic, Mario and Simmer but need a RD to make the team out of camp or sign in UFA. I'm looking at Nikolai to take that final spot on D.

Reactions: themelkman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad