Barkov, Jones, Mackinnon, or Drouin

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I am not saying its not deep but every year that years draft class is "deep" its such a vague term that no one ever gets called on it. This years class I believe has 4-5 star players and alot of skilled forwards but it is weak for defense last year had 1-2 star players and alot of defensemen.
This. 1000 times this.

I really would like to see an analysis by someone other than "knowledgeable HFBoards poster #4387" that calls this draft class "deep". I always ask for it, but never seem to get it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Fair enough. He looks like a good player though.

If Calgary did get 3 1st round picks somehow, I'd like to see them take a goalie with one of the later ones. None of Calgary's goalie prospects are sure things, but this draft looks to have a few promising ones. And if we have multiple goalies pan out, then they get traded for a high return. Too many goalies is never a bad thing.

With 3 1sts they should go BFA, BDA, BGA, in that order. Unless Seth Jones is available and MacKinnon isn't.

Drafting a goalie with a first round pick is usually a waste. Just too much uncertainly and variability with regards to how goalies develop.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
We have some great veteran trade assets so if we got some 1st's, we could totally trade up and get 2 of the top 5.... Imagine Baertschi-Barkov-Mckinnon to match Hall-RNH-Eberle. It would almost instantly renew the BOA

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd personally like Mackinnon if we had the chance, but how is that Swedish guy Lindholm doing? Also first post ftw.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Most dramatic thread ever. I'll take MacKinnon. He's been talked about since he was 15 for a reason

Last edited:

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
If we had a top 2 pick, I'd be happy with MacKinnon or Jones, preferably MacKinnon unless something changes drastically.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I'd personally like Mackinnon if we had the chance, but how is that Swedish guy Lindholm doing? Also first post ftw.
I believe you are referring to Elias Lindholm, and I believe if we aren't the #1 pick but rather a top 5 we should take him.

"He's a complete package," Stubb told NHL.com. "He could very well be the next Peter Forsberg. He's an excellent skater and great competitor who gives it 110 percent on every shift. He can skate, score and pass and is physically strong even though he is a finesse-type of player."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=641798

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
I believe you are referring to Elias Lindholm, and I believe if we aren't the #1 pick but rather a top 5 we should take him.

"He's a complete package," Stubb told NHL.com. "He could very well be the next Peter Forsberg. He's an excellent skater and great competitor who gives it 110 percent on every shift. He can skate, score and pass and is physically strong even though he is a finesse-type of player."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=641798

Yeah that's him. I heard he was giving Barkov a run for his money to be the top European skater. I'd just like us to get a center honestly. It looks like there is a quite a few in the draft that have pretty high ceilings.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Yeah that's him. I heard he was giving Barkov a run for his money to be the top European skater. I'd just like us to get a center honestly. It looks like there is a quite a few in the draft that have pretty high ceilings.

Hes a Nicklas Backstrom clone.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So far a top 5 pick is looking likely. I really want Barkov or Monahan the most. Drouin or Jones would be great to. MacKinnon is gonna be great, but is he a franchise guy? I don't know enough about Lindholm but everyone talks very highly of him.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The guys I really would like to see end up a Flame are:

Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Pulock

Of course I would be ecstatic with Mackinnon or Jones though.

I think he's able to step in and play in the NHL as early as next season. His game (play style) is familiar to me but for the life of me I can't think of a comparison.

I probably wouldn't put him top ten, but hopefully the Flames are in a position to pick him up with one of the *other* first round picks acquired via trade this season. ;)

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Seth Jones for sure! Strong draft coming up, we can get at least another first rounder (+) for Iggy if we trade him to a contender (he deserves a cup)

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
The guys I really would like to see end up a Flame are:

Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Pulock

Of course I would be ecstatic with Mackinnon or Jones though.

Pulock had 5 assists tonight in a 5-2 win. If we had two 1st rounds and somehow got him with our 2nd I would be ecstatic.

However there are a lot of good D that might fall to us, were we to have a 2nd 1st round pick. Pulock, Morrisey, Nurse, Hagg, Zadorov, we'd be lucky to get any one of those guys.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Pulock can be had with a mid first.

The kind of pick we could get by trading a roster player or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad