Barkov, Jones, Mackinnon, or Drouin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am not against a rebuild but honestly with half decent goaltending we are 3-1-1 right now I would wait on shipping people out for a few weeks when teams get a little more desperate. But I think moving Cammy,Gio,Iggy,Kipper for the right mix of players we could rebound next year just need smart trades.

I agree.
I want to start moving people closer to the deadline. Where teams start dishing out far too much, for far too little.

I think Calgary's got the right mix or players at the right age, that trading away the old guard would make a quick transition.

Glencross, Hudler, Cervenka, Backlund are all of that 23-30 age that could help get the team back on track much quicker. When Oilers rebuilt, they were starting with garbage, with nothing of real value or ability. I think Calgary's got the right mix of players that could transition a rebuild so we aren't bottom feeding for half a decade like Edmonton.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm thinking, if we trade that first overall, for like 10th, get an extra second round pick; then trade that 10th for 21-25 for a second second round. We can *safely* draft someone ranked 30-36th, and pick marginal talent with the extra second rounders.

It's a winning strategy DAMNIT!

Maybe the Isles will want Jones so bad that they will offer all of their picks for our first?

I'd insert the sarcasm emoticon, but I'm not really being that sarcastic.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree.
I want to start moving people closer to the deadline. Where teams start dishing out far too much, for far too little.

I think Calgary's got the right mix or players at the right age, that trading away the old guard would make a quick transition.

Glencross, Hudler, Cervenka, Backlund are all of that 23-30 age that could help get the team back on track much quicker. When Oilers rebuilt, they were starting with garbage, with nothing of real value or ability. I think Calgary's got the right mix of players that could transition a rebuild so we aren't bottom feeding for half a decade like Edmonton.

I think the "core" we should keep is Hudler,Cervenka,Glencross,Tanguay(guy has been great),Backlund,Jbo,Widemen the rest can go for the right price

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
If were going to tank might as well tank this season its a shorter one and we don't have to suffer the whole shabang just part of the season. We will do a "mini" rebuild I'm sure at the trade deadline there will be a bidding war for Iginla if we actually start doing bad... I mean worst...

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
I wonder what we could have had for Phaneuf had Daryl not thrown the panic switch.

Firmly believe he was worth a first and high end prospect at the time. We got saddled with spare parts.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I probably would too actually.

But would you take a HoF defender vs a franchise center?

At this point from reviews and such.

Seth Jones could be a tier above MacKinnon.

(Just for comparisons sake and not their actual play styles)
So if MacKinnon is a #1 to franchise center (Lecavalier, Thornton, Spezza, Getzlaf, Staal)

vs

If Seth Jones is your Top pairing to HoF Defender (Bourque, Lidstrom, Macinnis)

Then who do you take?

TylerSVT*

I take Jones, watching him is something special, i believe he is a future Captain, he is a HUGE guy who plays all areas of the ice.

Flames need some Front line Offense Talent, but Jones could be the cornerstone of the Franchise for years to come.

At this point im asking every team in the NHL for their first rounders for any of our players. Blow it up indeed.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
But would you take a HoF defender vs a franchise center?

At this point from reviews and such.

Seth Jones could be a tier above MacKinnon.

(Just for comparisons sake and not their actual play styles)
So if MacKinnon is a #1 to franchise center (Lecavalier, Thornton, Spezza, Getzlaf, Staal)

vs

If Seth Jones is your Top pairing to HoF Defender (Bourque, Lidstrom, Macinnis)

Then who do you take?
Based off the examples given, I'd take the centre without giving it a second thought.

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
If we finished 30th overall, and had the 1st overall draft pick;

Trade Iginla and/or Kipper for a High 1st round pick(+)
Select Seth Jones with our 1st, if the second 1st rounder we aquire is high enough, take Sean Monahan, if not try to package the aquired pick with someone(later pick and/or player) to get Monahan.

Then you can get into trade other players like Cammalleri, one of J-Bo/Gio, Tanguay, etc.

tripledeke 82

Aug 22, 2011
All three have the ability to step in next year. As of right now i think I take a center, but can't decide on which guy.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The last time someone took a defenseman with the #1 pick it didn't go too well.

In fact it has been a LONG time since a #1 dman panned out to expectations.

Thats why I would be going with a forward if anything. On that note I really like Elias Lindholm.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
As much as I love them, i think we should deal Iginla and Kipper for some 1st rounds this year. Imagine having 3 or 4 picks in one of the deepest drafts to date

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As much as I love them, i think we should deal Iginla and Kipper for some 1st rounds this year. Imagine having 3 or 4 picks in one of the deepest drafts to date

I don't think it will be that deep. But I agree especially if finish bottom 5 we could trade up and end up with 2 of Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin/Shinkaruk

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

1st's would definitely have to be in the equation.

This draft has a lot of close to NHL ready guys like Lazar, Pulock, Morrissey, Nurse, even Domi I don't think is too far away. It's a pretty polished 1st round overall. It would definitely be a great year to stock on 1st's if we're outta contention (which is looking likely).

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Would want Monahan or Barkov. I don't like the idea of drafting a defenseman 1st overall. However, if we had another top five pick, Jones would be my go-to guy.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
1st's would definitely have to be in the equation.

This draft has a lot of close to NHL ready guys like Lazar, Pulock, Morrissey, Nurse, even Domi I don't think is too far away. It's a pretty polished 1st round overall. It would definitely be a great year to stock on 1st's if we're outta contention (which is looking likely).

I've seen Lazar quite a bit, I don't think he is close.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I don't think it will be that deep. But I agree especially if finish bottom 5 we could trade up and end up with 2 of Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin/Shinkaruk

It is 2 rounds deep. I think it's is probably the deepest draft since 2003. What makes you think it isn't? I've been following this draft class for two years, and have never been so impressed... It's looking better than 2008!

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I've seen Lazar quite a bit, I don't think he is close.

Fair enough. He looks like a good player though.

If Calgary did get 3 1st round picks somehow, I'd like to see them take a goalie with one of the later ones. None of Calgary's goalie prospects are sure things, but this draft looks to have a few promising ones. And if we have multiple goalies pan out, then they get traded for a high return. Too many goalies is never a bad thing.

With 3 1sts they should go BFA, BDA, BGA, in that order. Unless Seth Jones is available and MacKinnon isn't.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It is 2 rounds deep. I think it's is probably the deepest draft since 2003. What makes you think it isn't? I've been following this draft class for two years, and have never been so impressed... It's looking better than 2008!
If this is the case, the Flames need to acquire as many picks in the first two rounds as possible.

Then don't draft this draft year's version of Tim Ramholt, but take Shea Weber instead.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Fair enough. He looks like a good player though.

If Calgary did get 3 1st round picks somehow, I'd like to see them take a goalie with one of the later ones. None of Calgary's goalie prospects are sure things, but this draft looks to have a few promising ones. And if we have multiple goalies pan out, then they get traded for a high return. Too many goalies is never a bad thing.

With 3 1sts they should go BFA, BDA, BGA, in that order. Unless Seth Jones is available and MacKinnon isn't.

Vancouver says hi.

It's a good problem to have (I guess) but I think we are ok in the goalie department. We need centers and more centers.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I am not saying its not deep but every year that years draft class is "deep" its such a vague term that no one ever gets called on it. This years class I believe has 4-5 star players and alot of skilled forwards but it is weak for defense last year had 1-2 star players and alot of defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad