Speculation: Barkov is true draft target for Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The problem with Drouin is that you don't know how parts of his game will translate to the NHL. The passing and the vision will. He most likely has the footspeed to do well and I suspect will be around average along the boards.

But all those dangles where he constantly tries to put the puck through the skates of players. First time he'll do that against Chara is when he realize that those junior tricks don't work in the NHL. It's hard telling how much time and space he will be able to buy for himself in the NHL.

It's hard seeing him not being a very good NHLer, but the other three feel safer with possibly slightly less high end potential. If Drouin realize his full potential, I think he could be a top ten player in the league. But there is more risk there.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
But all those dangles where he constantly tries to put the puck through the skates of players. First time he'll do that against Chara is when he realize that those junior tricks don't work in the NHL. It's hard telling how much time and space he will be able to buy for himself in the NHL.

The first time Drouin tries that in training camp against a guy fighting for an NHL roster spot he'll learn what he can't do in the NHL. He's not playing against teenagers anymore. I have the same concern about MacKinnon, the 'Q' does not have a reputation for stout defense.

I'm still hoping the Avs can pry an asset from Florida and draft Barkov.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

But on the flip side, MacK is screwed once he learns he can't bulldoze his way to the net in the NHL and the defenders are smart enough to prevent him from going outside/inside on em.

I'm really worried how well MacK is going to adapt to the NHL game once he's 22-23.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Barkov is the only one from the top 4 I'm not worried about at all. He's been playing against matured and experience competition already for years and ha probably already learned the hard way what can and can't work against bigger and more experienced players.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I love what Renegade Stylings brings to us, but I do feel that it's best to continue all draft related talk in the main Draft thread. Plus I've linked his blog post about this in the OP of the Draft Thread.

Let's move it on over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad