Barkov: good, really really good. (and underrated)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Even elite stars have up and down years. Barkov is not an exception. What people like to sensationalize as overrated or underrated is often just a top player having a slightly up or down season. There’s no question he’s been elite this year. There’s no question he had a dip last season is overall three-zone effectiveness. He’s both those guys. He’s definitely in the convo for 5-10 best players in the league right now, regardless of position.

But somebody saying they prefer Eichel based on their preferences (just using an example) doesn’t mean Barkov is underrated. Now...if somebody wants to claim Eichel is having a better season, they are out to lunch. Just like anybody arguing Barkov was better last season.

He’s an elite franchise center...we all agree on that. Much of the rest is based on form, not talent.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
This was nasty against Nashville... I just how to wonder - How the hell is this not a Take-away by NHL? Hes got 0 takeaways in this game :D :D :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I know there was recently a thread made for his 500th game played but there wasn’t much talk in there about his actual play/opinion’s on his game.

Sasha’s on pace for 65 points in a 56 game season despite having the worst shooting percentage of his career this season (9 percent, nearly tied with his rookie season percentage ok ok).

I personally think that he doesn’t get talked about enough on the ‘National Hockey League’ board so I wanted to make a thread.

What are your thoughts on him/his play?

I’m a lifelong CBJ fan but even I can appreciate #16’s play.

He is really overrated though on HFBoards.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
This was nasty against Nashville... I just how to wonder - How the hell is this not a Take-away by NHL? Hes got 0 takeaways in this game :D :D :D

Looks even more awesome when you see the play developing:

That's unbelievable.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean people don't really talk about him because Florida but they know how good he is. He doesn't get underrated, people just forget that the team he plays for exists.

He gets underrated in polls here for sure

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Barkov is by no means under-rated. Everyone who follows hockey knows that he's an elite player and one of the best in the game. What I think the OP means is that Barkov is not given the attention that other star players in the NHL receive, probably because he plays for the Florida Panthers. In that regard, his play is under-reported.

The interesting question is this: where will Barkov play after next season? If he loves Florida so much, then he'll re-sign; otherwise, I could see him signing as a UFA in Columbus (play with Laine) or in Boston (Bergeron's heir).

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The interesting question is this: where will Barkov play after next season? If he loves Florida so much, then he'll re-sign; otherwise, I could see him signing as a UFA in Columbus (play with Laine) or in Boston (Bergeron's heir).
Unless something massive changes in CBJ, I don’t see how they make an argument to Barkov. Laine will be a UFA after next season and at the current time, Florida looks like a much better spot to team up, or plenty of other spots both could go.

Boston will have the cap space. But does Barkov want to go there, and is Boston willing to kick their captain to the curb to being in Barkov?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov is resigning. He is captain of their team, their core is starting to hit their prime and Q have been excellent coach so far. I don’t think there is many teams with core #1C, #1D and #1W like panthers do. Ekblad is most likely going to be top 5 D of the league and other 2 are arguably top 5 at their position. Knowing his public nature and current situation i give really slim chances him going to other team.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Barkov is resigning. He is captain of their team, their core is starting to hit their prime and Q have been excellent coach so far. I don’t think there is many teams with core #1C, #1D and #1W like panthers do. Ekblad is most likely going to be top 5 D of the league and other 2 are arguably top 5 at their position. Knowing his public nature and current situation i give really slim chances him going to other team.

Yeah, I doubt Barkov not only goes anywhere, but also takes retail value on his next contract. I think he will re-sign, and give a bit of a discount. Huberdeau is the one you need to keep an eye on.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Aleksander Barkov is neither underrated nor overrated. He's just not talked about enough in the hockey world. Franchise centerman that I wished Montreal had. Kid has to win Selke soon.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Don't get this Barkov underrated stuff at this point. He's universally considered an elite player, a franchise 1C Selke candidate who also scores a bunch. He's basically rated about the same as what Toews/Kopitar/Bergeron were 8 to 10 years ago as an elite franchise center who can be the #1 on a contender. I personally think he's currently the 4th best center in the league right now, but I don't think it's underrating him to put him behind guys like Crosby, Bergeron, Draisaitl, Point, or Eichel. That's a big tier of guys and I don't think it matters much where exactly they're ranked.

He's not talked about as being on the same level as McDavid, Matthews, and MacKinnon because he's not on the same level. That's not "underrating" him. Ryan Getzlaf and Anze Kopitar weren't underrated in their primes because people didn't put them on the same level as Crosby. Nobody thought Ilya Kovalchuk was on Ovechkin's level when both were in their primes, that doesn't mean he was underrated either. Nobody thinks Shea Weber was as good as Chris Pronger, that doesn't mean he was underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad