Barkov: good, really really good. (and underrated)

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I know there was recently a thread made for his 500th game played but there wasn’t much talk in there about his actual play/opinion’s on his game.

Sasha’s on pace for 65 points in a 56 game season despite having the worst shooting percentage of his career this season (9 percent, nearly tied with his rookie season percentage ok ok).

I personally think that he doesn’t get talked about enough on the ‘National Hockey League’ board so I wanted to make a thread.

What are your thoughts on him/his play?

I’m a lifelong CBJ fan but even I can appreciate #16’s play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I know there was recently a thread made for his 500th game played but there wasn’t much talk in there about his actual play/opinion’s on his game.

Sasha’s on pace for 65 points in a 56 game season despite having the worst shooting percentage of his career this season (9 percent, nearly tied with his rookie season percentage ok ok).

I personally think that he doesn’t get talked about enough on the ‘National Hockey League’ board so I wanted to make a thread.

I’m a lifelong CBJ fan but even I can appreciate #16’s play. (and he was also my biggest steal in my fantasy hockey league. 10 man league, picked him up off waivers lmao)

He's an insanely good player

In what world was Barkov on waivers? 10 person league means 220 people were drafted, how was Barkov not in the top 40, let alone top 220?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
"Semantic satiation is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds."

Aka, whenever I see "Barkov" and "underrated" together in the same sentence.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
He's an insanely good player

In what world was Barkov on waivers? 10 person league means 220 people were drafted, how was Barkov not in the top 40, let alone top 220?

edited the post. I literally just woke up and mistook barkov for someone else I picked up off waivers lol. I drafted Barkov 66th, still a steal.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

’s on pace for 65 points in a 56 game season despite having the worst shooting percentage of his career this season (9 percent, nearly tied with his rookie season percentage ok ok).

I’m a lifelong CBJ fan but even I can appreciate #16’s play.

Sasha and Huberdeau. Both having career starts.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
I wouldn't say he's underrated, people don't really just gush about him outside of HFBoards, mainly because of where he plays.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Nahhh
The whole "underrated" schtick is getting old.

People know he's good
He was top 10 in scoring a year before last, top 5 in selke voting, a league allstar

he's not flying under this supposed radar
I mean, if it gets pointed out repeatedly, clearly he's not underrated.

Maybe at one time but the ahem cat is out of the bag.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Ok but if it gets held against some, it's fair to say it here. They've played many of both the worst teams, and overall defensive teams to date. They've played Lightning and Canes each 3 times, but almost every other game has been against the Preds, Stars, CBJ (who are really struggling this year)..

Using the standings as a standard, they are playing even lighter comp than the Leafs so far.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Screenshot_20210305-203604_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kuljeskelen

Jan 2, 2020
Finland
"Barkov underrated" is such a meme. I mean, there's some people calling him top-5 centre and not many not putting him outside top 10. He's as properly rated as any.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I think if he was on a team full of all stars, he would become the main centerpiece. His playmaking, positioning and vision are too advanced for regular NHL players to keep up with. Surround him with all stars and you'll see something special. But yeah, he's awesome.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
I agree with the general sentiment, he’s great but not underrated anymore. People generally have him in the 5-10 range for centers, which seems fair.

if he keeps piling up points, gets his shooting percentage up a bit, and is in the selke conversation then he may start cracking people’s top five lists a bit more often

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think if he was on a team full of all stars, he would become the main centerpiece. His playmaking, positioning and vision are too advanced for regular NHL players to keep up with. Surround him with all stars and you'll see something special. But yeah, he's awesome.

Isn’t he already a centrepiece surrounded by Huberdeau, Ekblad and friends?

Reactions: Bread4Life

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Isn’t he already a centrepiece surrounded by Huberdeau, Ekblad and friends?

No. Barkov and Huberdeau play on different lines:

Duclair - Barkov - Verhaeghe was the first line until Duclair was injured. Now it`s Vatrano - Barkov - Verhaeghe. In other teams his linemates would be 3rd liners - tops.

Huberdeau - Wennberg - Hornqvist is the 2nd line.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No. Barkov and Huberdeau play on different lines:

Duclair - Barkov - Verhaeghe was the first line until Duclair was injured. Now it`s Vatrano - Barkov - Verhaeghe. In other teams his linemates would be 3rd liners - tops.

Huberdeau - Wennberg - Hornqvist is the 2nd line.

They all play on the same team.

Reactions: Bread4Life

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Hes innthe same tier as Matthews and Eichel. And is clearly the least talked out of those 3. Everyone knows he is legit but people pull the underrated card because he isnt talked about as much as the aforementioned.

He plays in Florida, one of the least talked about teams here. So the talk isnt there, but everyone knows what hes about

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Underrated? Maybe for the casual fan but he's had that label on this site for years. People here know how good he is.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
And so the under-over-under-over-underrated rollercoaster of Barkov continues...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->