Islanders Point Blank: Barclays Center paying Isles annually for relocating

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I think Wang may sell the Islanders around 2015 for 200M then collect 25 M a year for the next 8 years so he can cash in 400 M for the Islanders.

ishot-4860.jpg

200 M in 3 pieces can't be that bad for the 3 ownership parties at Barclays.

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
Love it. The first kernel of truth about why they really moved has come out and I am sure more to follow. Nothing Wang ever does is clean cut.

This proves that they went to Brooklyn not because he was so intent on keeping them in NY, as he has stoically claimed, but because he was paid to do so and zero guarantee he puts dollar one of that money back into the team.

Of course the bigger part of the article is the Barclay's is well behind it's revenue estimations. Makes one think about the $35 million doesn't it.

The article states:

"The owner supposedly turned down offers from other municipalities to keep the Islanders in the metro area. Now we have a little bit clearer picture as to why that happened."

Me thinks the author realizes that is all bunk and certainly does not close the case what so ever. In fact makes the truth of the issue even more in doubt.

Cannot wait as this onion continues to get peeled.

You make me laugh. And so do all the other bitter fans or so called fans of this team.

You refuse to open your eyes to see that Nassau basically opened up the front door grabbed the ny islanders franchise by the collar and kicked them out onto he curb.

Brooklyn was standing there outside on the sidewalk. Picked the franchise up. Dusted them off and offered the franchise room, board and money.

They were there to help a downtrodden and battered franchise. And all you and some other smug long islanders care about is that you will now have to travel just a little bit further to visit them.

Selfish.

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
soooo with all this said in this thread - Should I become a Red Wings fan?

If you are upset about your team moving 22 miles away from where they are now then it makes a ton of sense to start rooting for a team that plays 660 miles away.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
You make me laugh. And so do all the other bitter fans or so called fans of this team.

You refuse to open your eyes to see that Nassau basically opened up the front door grabbed the ny islanders franchise by the collar and kicked them out onto he curb.

Brooklyn was standing there outside on the sidewalk. Picked the franchise up. Dusted them off and offered the franchise room, board and money.

They were there to help a downtrodden and battered franchise. And all you and some other smug long islanders care about is that you will now have to travel just a little bit further to visit them.

Selfish.

Actually i really don't plan on traveling to watch them any more than how long it takes to get from the fridge to the couch once they move.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Okay, so Wang gets a cash payment every year from Barclay's.

Barclay's runs the business side of the Isles.

I wonder who gets what from all the revenue streams?

The answer to that question tells you to what extent Wang and/or Barclays actually "owns" the Isles. It kind of sounds like there may be some kind of planned transition in place.

I am wondering about the extra 70 luxury suites. The NY Times reported those extra suites could bring in an exta $35m per.

Is Barclays keeping that luxury suite money or is Wang?

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I am wondering about the extra 70 luxury suites. The NY Times reported those extra suites could bring in an exta $35m per.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lump sum payment in the topic includes payment for everything, period.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
I will believe it when I see it Bert. Considering that the deal is set in stone they could have opened the wallet up this season with big needs in net, defense, up front... and didn't. Something still does not smell right.

That makes no sense at all. They're still losing money being at NVMC and haven't moved to Brooklyn yet. Once in Brooklyn more revenue kicks in and NYI gets more money not before. Can't spend what they don't have yet. Expect a bone thrown on a player you mentioned the summer before the move but not sooner.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006

Considering NYI will be getting paid tens of millions soon we have to assume that's part of it and close to it.

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
If you are upset about your team moving 22 miles away from where they are now then it makes a ton of sense to start rooting for a team that plays 660 miles away.

Firstly - that was a joke (haha).

Secondly - I was referring to the constant talk of weak management (no surprise) that will never reap a successful franchise.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
. (Mod Edit, QDP)

That's the whole point! Punishing myself would be forcing myself to commute to Barclays Center simply because I am invested in caring about attending games because I was a STH at Nassau.

I will enjoy watching from home more... so that is exactly what I intend to do.

You could offer me season tickets to the Islanders at the Barclays for free and I wouldn't want them. You couldn't pay me to deal with getting to and from Brooklyn for 41 dates while also commuting to NYC for work every weekday.

Last edited by a moderator:

eastonhockey22*

That's the whole point! Punishing myself would be forcing myself to commute to Barclays Center simply because I am invested in caring about attending games because I was a STH at Nassau.

I will enjoy watching from home more... so that is exactly what I intend to do.

You could offer me season tickets to the Islanders at the Barclays for free and I wouldn't want them. You couldn't pay me to deal with getting to and from Brooklyn for 41 dates while also commuting to NYC for work every weekday.

Why would they offer them to you for free? They'll get by just fine without you. That's why I'm confused. It seems like you think you're sticking it to someone... I'm just not sure who. I understand you're a STH but that doesn't add any value to your dollar, ya know? I mean a buddy of mine told me he plans on getting STH for him and his roommates once they move to BK... So your big protest is kind of already in vain. Why bother?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Why would they offer them to you for free? They'll get by just fine without you. That's why I'm confused. It seems like you think you're sticking it to someone... I'm just not sure who. I understand you're a STH but that doesn't add any value to your dollar, ya know? I mean a buddy of mine told me he plans on getting STH for him and his roommates once they move to BK... So your big protest is kind of already in vain. Why bother?

I never said it was a protest. It is what it is. The question comes up around these parts often of will/what percentage of STHs will transfer over to BK... I disclose my status. That is all.

eastonhockey22*

I never said it was a protest. It is what it is. The question comes up around these parts often of will/what percentage of STHs will transfer over to BK... I disclose my status. That is all.

Oh, gotcha. It seemed like you we're doing some "if they don't want to pay the game I want then I won't play at all!" Thing and were expecting them to beg you for you business like the organization would fall apart without it kind of deal. My bad, I misunderstood your intentions.

I wonder if this 10 million fed off the possibility of STH's not renewing. Seems like it will more than cover the cost even if every single STH doesn't renew.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
That makes no sense at all. They're still losing money being at NVMC and haven't moved to Brooklyn yet. Once in Brooklyn more revenue kicks in and NYI gets more money not before. Can't spend what they don't have yet. Expect a bone thrown on a player you mentioned the summer before the move but not sooner.

It makes sense when you are trying to stoke interest in your club. It's called an investment. What are the three big needs? Goal, wing for JT, and defense. If you add just one solid solution for any of those three this club makes a big step up this season and next, right when you need to market the hell out of them for max return at Barclays. Today, adding in the Vis injury as possibly long term, this club has better odds of not making the playoffs than making them. Imagine how dumb Wang & Snow will look if the club misses the playoffs because of 1 injury and not getting a real goaltender, let alone finding someone who is a legit 1st line wing for John? Using your approach they could kill key STH enrollment before the first puck is dropped by looking like a bottom feeder yet again. I don't know if you are watching the games at all, but they do not look like playoff material. Their wins look shallow, and in their dropped games they look like bottom poop.

Think investment. You risk X to get X+more. By risking nothing they stand lose more if it means they look like they are getting worse.

Keeping the worst head coach in the NHL isn't helping either.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Oh, gotcha. It seemed like you we're doing some "if they don't want to pay the game I want then I won't play at all!" Thing and were expecting them to beg you for you business like the organization would fall apart without it kind of deal. My bad, I misunderstood your intentions.

I wonder if this 10 million fed off the possibility of STH's not renewing. Seems like it will more than cover the cost even if every single STH doesn't renew.

I am sure that they will make money hand over fist with or without significant STH retention from Nassau. In that regard I have always agreed whole heartedly that Brooklyn will be a financial windfall.

I am not convinced the attendance numbers or the fan experience will be great... I doubt they are sweating STH retention rates. I think a lot might even re-up out of sheer curiosity and optimism.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You couldn't pay me to deal with getting to and from Brooklyn for 41 dates while also commuting to NYC for work every weekday.
Don't get this at all. The team being in Barclays makes my getting to weekday games easier, not harder, from my NYC office. Weekends, driving in is a piece of cake (albeit packaged grocery store cake rather than the good stuff).

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Don't get this at all. The team being in Barclays makes my getting to weekday games easier, not harder, from my NYC office. Weekends, driving in is a piece of cake (albeit packaged grocery store cake rather than the good stuff).

Getting there easy. Getting home, not so much. And I hate public transportation more than anyone I know so I'm probably not a fair comp.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Getting there easy. Getting home, not so much. And I hate public transportation more than anyone I know so I'm probably not a fair comp.
If you are already in the city, and commute by LIRR, you are already going home by train one way or another. Trust me, Penn at the evening rush is one of the more unpleasant places to be. I know that the trip back after the Barclays game was a clutterbuck for some fans (but not others), but I expect the LIRR will have its act together in two years and not schedule its extra trains for an hour after the game ended, as it did for the exhibition.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
If you are already in the city, and commute by LIRR, you are already going home by train one way or another. Trust me, Penn at the evening rush is one of the more unpleasant places to be. I know that the trip back after the Barclays game was a clutterbuck for some fans (but not others), but I expect the LIRR will have its act together in two years and not schedule its extra trains for an hour after the game ended, as it did for the exhibition.

I commuted hom through Atlantic Terminal for 5 years. I've done concerts and Nets games. Penn is worse but relying on an event LIRR schedule is pretty awful.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I know that the trip back after the Barclays game was a clutterbuck for some fans (but not others), but I expect the LIRR will have its act together in two years and not schedule its extra trains for an hour after the game ended, as it did for the exhibition.

I live in Ronkonkoma and either take LIRR to Penn or drive to Melville during the week.

If I'm already in NYC for work, then obviously, the trip to BK and then home is fine. Nice and easy.

If I'm in Melville,, then its drive to Farmingdale at 5pm and hop a local train west... then the long train back at the end of the night + a 30 min drive home. Time consuming.

Now if its a weekend, its either a long drive r/t to BK, or a long ride r/t.. neither is appealing. Then you gotta add your schedule of other things in life, and you just can't allocate the 4pm to midnight time requirement to go to a weekend game. Gotta prioritize!!

My hope is that they would have some packages where you can pick and choose what you want to do as per your schedule. Its just a big change to what we are used to.

And honestly, LI'ers sit in traffic enough -- I'm not going to do it more, to see a .500 team play in Brooklyn.

Side note: There were extra trains after the game out of Barclays -- the problem is that the LIRR didn't advertise it, nor did my app know about them. Typical LIRR. I would hope the LIRR and Isles work something out to make it as fast and painless as possible..

Like... like..

An ISLANDER CANNONBALL EXPRESS train -- westbound, 1/5 hours- 2 hours before every Isles game, on every westbound line. Having discounted tix, Icegirls throughout the car, onboard beer sales, and blowup Rangers dartboards, etc....

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Commuting home out of Flatbush after a game is not a piece of cake on the REGULAR LIRR SCHEDULE. It leaves the majority of riders waiting at Jamaica for a connection. After 10pm, if the connection is missed you could end up waiting 30 minutes for the next train.

The solution would be that the LIRR adds a couple of shuttle trains from Flatbush to Jamaica so people could have easier connections to the lines that operate out of Penn Station.

If ridership dictates the need, the special trains could be paid for by the Islanders and Barclays.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I live in Ronkonkoma and either take LIRR to Penn or drive to Melville during the week.

If I'm already in NYC for work, then obviously, the trip to BK and then home is fine. Nice and easy.

If I'm in Melville,, then its drive to Farmingdale at 5pm and hop a local train west... then the long train back at the end of the night + a 30 min drive home. Time consuming.

Now if its a weekend, its either a long drive r/t to BK, or a long ride r/t.. neither is appealing. Then you gotta add your schedule of other things in life, and you just can't allocate the 4pm to midnight time requirement to go to a weekend game. Gotta prioritize!!

My hope is that they would have some packages where you can pick and choose what you want to do as per your schedule. Its just a big change to what we are used to.

And honestly, LI'ers sit in traffic enough -- I'm not going to do it more, to see a .500 team play in Brooklyn.

Side note: There were extra trains after the game out of Barclays -- the problem is that the LIRR didn't advertise it, nor did my app know about them. Typical LIRR. I would hope the LIRR and Isles work something out to make it as fast and painless as possible..

Like... like..

An ISLANDER CANNONBALL EXPRESS train -- westbound, 1/5 hours- 2 hours before every Isles game, on every westbound line. Having discounted tix, Icegirls throughout the car, onboard beer sales, and blowup Rangers dartboards, etc....

For those of us who have to be up for work at 4:30 AM for work, the only solution that would be appealing is to have the transporters from the Starship Enterprise up and running to get me home. Until that happens, weeknight games are OUT.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
I am sure that they will make money hand over fist with or without significant STH retention from Nassau. In that regard I have always agreed whole heartedly that Brooklyn will be a financial windfall.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Alrerady the prosepcts of increased revenue can be questioned based on the statement in the article that Barclay's is falling well short of their revenue projections.

As I think about this, I bet Wang gets "x" amount per year and Barclay's keeps the gate, consessions, etc....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad