Islanders Point Blank: Barclays Center paying Isles annually for relocating

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Ehh hard to judge it without knowing specifics. Who gets concession sales? Advertising? Luxury box revenue?

Hopefully this makes the Islanders solvent & able to really compete, but who knows. Hopefully end game is the Brooklyn crew owns the team, which I know would finally make them financially stable.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Ehh hard to judge it without knowing specifics. Who gets concession sales? Advertising? Luxury box revenue?

Hopefully this makes the Islanders solvent & able to really compete, but who knows. Hopefully end game is the Brooklyn crew owns the team, which I know would finally make them financially stable.

IMO, there is very little chance Wang agrees to move to BK if the deal isnt gonna be good for at LEAST himself, if not all parties involved. Any lease is gonna look like a goldmine after what hes been in at NVMC.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
IMO, there is very little chance Wang agrees to move to BK if the deal isnt gonna be good for at LEAST himself, if not all parties involved. Any lease is gonna look like a goldmine after what hes been in at NVMC.

Are we gonna see a Pickett/SMG deal where revenue is outside the books and pocketed by the owner? Wang gets a check and NYI gets gate revenues and no Concessions {per article} or parking or such?

Wang can claim he's losing money but I don't think he will unless it serves him. In fact, the first few years he'll claim he's winning money hand over fist as it serves him to.

Gee....wonder if the millions get spent on the winger Trottier says JT needs? {oh, that's Bouchard :cry:}

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Wait.... do you honestly believe there was/is no one interested in buying the Islanders? Why, because there haven't been reports of it?

People were interested in buying Phx, but not the Islanders? Listen to yourself

That's just it. He listens to the voices in his head instead of reason. Cue Twilight Zone music. I count 7 people here who disagreed with him about offers yet he's the only one that still denies it. It's off the charts illogical. Talk about dreaming.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Did anyone see the point vlack article yet. Standard and Poor in thier bond rankings mentions that the barclays which is behind of revenue estimates has to pay the islanders tens of millions of dollars a year

http://islanderspointblank.com/isla...es-millions-per-year-to-relocate-to-brooklyn/

"The Barclays Center’s owners have guaranteed the Islanders an unspecified annual payment to move them there, according to a report from Standard & Poor’s,

People familiar with the deal said it runs in the tens of millions of dollars a year. For comparison, the Islanders deal with Nassau County if the referendum had passed was to pay the County $14 million in rent plus 11.5% revenue sharing. Now, it looks as though the Islanders themselves were actually paid to move to Brooklyn"

I've said all along that moving to Brooklyn was the best thing to happen to this franchise since the last Cup and here it is. Getting paid tens of millions in Brooklyn instead of paying $14 mil plus 11.5% revenue sharing to nassau if a new arena was in nassau.

Before the move was announced a poster posted 2K posts about tenancy in Brooklyn vs ownership in nassau (even though it wasn't full arena/grounds ownership) and how it wasn't even close and was in nassau's favor. Others, including muah, brought up how in Brooklyn it wouldn't likely be the standard tenant relationship and probably much more based on Barclay's need and revenue capabilities. And it happened as this article states.

(So when payroll increases and a legit (U)FA star signs the deniers can grow/shut up now that more money will be in Brooklyn)

And waddya know, this article mentions there were offers to sell NYI too. Case closed.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Are we gonna see a Pickett/SMG deal where revenue is outside the books and pocketed by the owner? Wang gets a check and NYI gets gate revenues and no Concessions {per article} or parking or such?

Wang can claim he's losing money but I don't think he will unless it serves him. In fact, the first few years he'll claim he's winning money hand over fist as it serves him to.

Gee....wonder if the millions get spent on the winger Trottier says JT needs? {oh, that's Bouchard :cry:}

oh don't worry! Moving to Brooklyn automatically means more revenue for Wang which automatically means more money spent on the team which automatically means a better on ice product.

Last edited:

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
"The Barclays Center’s owners have guaranteed the Islanders an unspecified annual payment to move them there, according to a report from Standard & Poor’s,

People familiar with the deal said it runs in the tens of millions of dollars a year. For comparison, the Islanders deal with Nassau County if the referendum had passed was to pay the County $14 million in rent plus 11.5% revenue sharing. Now, it looks as though the Islanders themselves were actually paid to move to Brooklyn"

I've said all along that moving to Brooklyn was the best thing to happen to this franchise since the last Cup and here it is. Getting paid tens of millions in Brooklyn instead of paying $14 mil plus 11.5% revenue sharing to nassau if a new arena was in nassau.

Before the move was announced a poster posted 2K posts about tenancy in Brooklyn vs ownership in nassau (even though it wasn't full arena/grounds ownership) and how it wasn't even close and was in nassau's favor. Others, including muah, brought up how in Brooklyn it wouldn't likely be the standard tenant relationship and probably much more based on Barclay's need and revenue capabilities. And it happened as this article states.

(So when payroll increases and a legit (U)FA star signs the deniers can grow/shut up now that more money will be in Brooklyn)

And waddya know, this article mentions there were offers to sell NYI too. Case closed.

Moving to Brooklyn > Drafting John Tavares?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Strong,
I added the link to our Brooklyn News Thread too.

Not surprised that Wang is getting some $$$$ for the move to Brooklyn.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Wang will do his best to squeeze every last penny out of these wealthy new yorkers who are in NYC because they made money elsewhere, or have parents who are wealthy. If you spend a lot of time with friends who live in the city, queens/manhattan/Brooklyn...the "white" people, at least MANY of them, are living off their parents money, trust funds, stuff like that. THey aint paying $2500 a month for studio apartments with earnings form tending bar, answering phones at the office, etc. Plus my friends in the city all have more disposable income then we do because they pay like 140 a month for a metro card instead of the 900 a month it costs many of us to pay for a car/imsurance/gas. My friends in the city go out to bars and restaurants all week long when my co workers with cars and mortgage go out like once a month to Fridays.
Every rich kid around the world tells there parents "I want to go to college in manhattan.." and many move to Brooklyn now. CHeck ranger ticket prices on ticketmaster....prices through the roof. Almost everything starts at $100.00. How do they get away with that? some corporate tickets...some wealthy people with good jobs....and ALOT of people living off their parents in some foreign country or out of state.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
oh don't worry! Moving to Brooklyn automatically means more revenue for Wang which automatically means more money spent on the team which automatically means a better on ice product.

You're learning young grasshopper. behindness cheeksness hurtsness.

And there won't be corrupt LI republicans to extort money in Brooklyn ala the SMG/nassau lease which gave NYI no competitive chance.

See, already Brooklyn brings in "tens of millions of dollars" more than in nassau. That can't be denied. Keep hope alive! Instead of no chance.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You're learning young grasshopper. behindness cheeksness hurtsness.

And there won't be corrupt LI republicans to extort money in Brooklyn ala the SMG/nassau lease which gave NYI no competitive chance.

See, already Brooklyn brings in "tens of millions of dollars" more than in nassau. That can't be denied. Keep hope alive! Instead of no chance.

What I'm hoping for is that this extra money going to Wang helps get him to sell the team to the Barclays group.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Wang will do his best to squeeze every last penny out of these wealthy new yorkers who are in NYC because they made money elsewhere, or have parents who are wealthy. If you spend a lot of time with friends who live in the city, queens/manhattan/Brooklyn...the "white" people, at least MANY of them, are living off their parents money, trust funds, stuff like that. THey aint paying $2500 a month for studio apartments with earnings form tending bar, answering phones at the office, etc. Plus my friends in the city all have more disposable income then we do because they pay like 140 a month for a metro card instead of the 900 a month it costs many of us to pay for a car/imsurance/gas. My friends in the city go out to bars and restaurants all week long when my co workers with cars and mortgage go out like once a month to Fridays.
Every rich kid around the world tells there parents "I want to go to college in manhattan.." and many move to Brooklyn now. CHeck ranger ticket prices on ticketmaster....prices through the roof. Almost everything starts at $100.00. How do they get away with that? some corporate tickets...some wealthy people with good jobs....and ALOT of people living off their parents in some foreign country or out of state.

Maybe it has more to do with the fact that many of "those" people living in NYC are highly educated from top institutions that earn high salaries. Moreover city life is very, very different than burbanite life and things are valued differently. Sad you think everything in NYC is 'rich' as there are plenty of people that make and find ways to make it by not getting wrapped up in burbanite life/ideals bc they just don't want that now or never.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Love it. The first kernel of truth about why they really moved has come out and I am sure more to follow. Nothing Wang ever does is clean cut.

This proves that they went to Brooklyn not because he was so intent on keeping them in NY, as he has stoically claimed, but because he was paid to do so and zero guarantee he puts dollar one of that money back into the team.

Of course the bigger part of the article is the Barclay's is well behind it's revenue estimations. Makes one think about the $35 million doesn't it.

The article states:

"The owner supposedly turned down offers from other municipalities to keep the Islanders in the metro area. Now we have a little bit clearer picture as to why that happened."

Me thinks the author realizes that is all bunk and certainly does not close the case what so ever. In fact makes the truth of the issue even more in doubt.

Cannot wait as this onion continues to get peeled.

Last edited:

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Great quote. I guess others here need to learn the meaning of sarcasm!!!

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Love it. The first kernel of truth about why they really moved has come out and I am sure more to follow. Nothing Wang ever does is clean cut.

This proves that they went to Brooklyn not because he was so intent on keeping them in NY, as he has stoically claimed, but because he was paid to do so and zero guarantee he puts dollar one of that money back into the team.

Of course the bigger part of the article is the Barclay's is well behind it's revenue estimations. Makes one think about the $35 million doesn't it.

The article states:

"The owner supposedly turned down offers from other municipalities to keep the Islanders in the metro area. Now we have a little bit clearer picture as to why that happened."

Me thinks the author realizes that is all bunk and certainly does not close the case what so ever. In fact makes the truth of the issue even more in doubt.

Cannot wait as this onion continues to get peeled.

So Wang manages to keep the team in the area while getting paid and you are picking on what he said during the process?

We're not teenage girls here.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
So Wang manages to keep the team in the area while getting paid and you are picking on what he said during the process?

We're not teenage girls here.

Save your time. He's a lost cause, not worth it. The self embarrassment is endless. This is GREAT news for NYI and real fans not butthurt ones with an agenda. More money to help NYI. We've been waiting for this forever. I've been happy all day after reading this. Just proves him wrong yet again as he's said all along Brooklyn would produce no more money and it was only speculation. He never believed. And now it happens. Who cares if it's not as much money as first mentioned which isn't even confirmed and still might be, the fact is tens of millions a year is a lot more friggin money than NYI have worked with for 20 years. Wang keeps the team local after offers and gets NYI more money. WOO HOO. Win win. Only a LOSER would twist it and put a petty personal stance before the betterment of the team.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If the Barclays Group/Ratner buy the team its a win win because they would essentially be paying themselves annually...

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

There's some truth to this, but perhaps not at the levels you imply.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, so Wang gets a cash payment every year from Barclay's.

Barclay's runs the business side of the Isles.

I wonder who gets what from all the revenue streams?

The answer to that question tells you to what extent Wang and/or Barclays actually "owns" the Isles. It kind of sounds like there may be some kind of planned transition in place.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Save your time. He's a lost cause, not worth it. The self embarrassment is endless. This is GREAT news for NYI and real fans not butthurt ones with an agenda. More money to help NYI. We've been waiting for this forever. I've been happy all day after reading this. Just proves him wrong yet again as he's said all along Brooklyn would produce no more money and it was only speculation. He never believed. And now it happens. Who cares if it's not as much money as first mentioned which isn't even confirmed and still might be, the fact is tens of millions a year is a lot more friggin money than NYI have worked with for 20 years. Wang keeps the team local after offers and gets NYI more money. WOO HOO. Win win. Only a LOSER would twist it and put a petty personal stance before the betterment of the team.

I will believe it when I see it Bert. Considering that the deal is set in stone they could have opened the wallet up this season with big needs in net, defense, up front... and didn't. Something still does not smell right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->