Player Discussion: Barclay Goodrow

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't see him putting up enough points to demand big money. 2 sounds about right. Useful player.

twenty5psi

Feb 27, 2018
With him slotted back all the lines work perfectly. Not that Colton was bad on the 3rd line at all, but with Goodrow back man they were just all over every puck and it was a beautiful sight.
It's a boon to have him back, thought we were going to be without him for the playoffs. The way they played in the 3rd last night reminded me of how they closed out games in the playoffs last year.

Reactions: Hoek

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
With him slotted back all the lines work perfectly. Not that Colton was bad on the 3rd line at all, but with Goodrow back man they were just all over every puck and it was a beautiful sight.
It also (frankly) helps our fourth line. Colton and Maroon work really well together for some reason.

Also Colton doesn't really play like Goodrow (which is fine). He plays more like a slightly heavier Coleman than anything. Less of a grinder and more of an opportunist forechecker, which is pretty redundant with Gourde and Coleman.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
It also (frankly) helps our fourth line. Colton and Maroon work really well together for some reason.

Also Colton doesn't really play like Goodrow (which is fine). He plays more like a slightly heavier Coleman than anything. Less of a grinder and more of an opportunist forechecker, which is pretty redundant with Gourde and Coleman.
Agreed. As I noted elsewhere, having Goodrow/Gourde/Coleman creates the best third line in hockey. And it gets all the others going, too. Colton and Maroon work well together. So last night it felt like we were able to run our lines like last year and have confidence in all four (swapping Paquette for Colton at the bottom). For five games, our structure was just out of whack. Last night we finally played our typical brand of playoff hockey.

Reactions: Hoek

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I really hope we do extend him to a multi year contract. He definitely deserves it. We are a much better team with him than without.

I think he's played himself out of our price range. Guys like Beagle making 3M, then Foligno getting 3.1M. I can easily see a team giving him that kind of money. As much as I like him and how good he fits here it's just not feasible to pay him that. 2M is most likely we can go on a player like him, 2.5 if we make enough other moves.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Beagle and Foligno pay more taxes than Goodrow will though, and they play for loser teams, so not willing to give the discount. :sarcasm:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Are the lightning going to be able to keep him. What do you think his next contract will look like? I can see him having many suitors in FA given his desirable skillset and ability to play up and down the lineup. Brandon Tanev for example got 6 years @3.5 AAV (pre-covid) and Goodrow is a better version of him.

I think he could get 3 years 2-2.5 Cap hit

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The more we get to see him and Coleman and everyone, the more I think we can't afford to lose anyone next season except Tyler Johnson. But we have to. :(

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The more we get to see him and Coleman and everyone, the more I think we can't afford to lose anyone next season except Tyler Johnson. But we have to. :(
Yeah its gonna suck but we gotta move some bodies now and give the kids more ice time. Johnson, Killorn, Coleman (can't afford to resign him) are gone. Colton, Joseph, Stephens gonna get minutes.

Colton - Gourde - Goodrow

should still be quite the 3rd line though

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
These two trades (ridiculed at the start by some) were brilliant. Someone could argue they are up there as the best trades of all time. Without these two trades we wouldn't be here.

We need to find a way to keep Barclay Goodrow and I don't know if it's going to be easy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad