Movies: Barbie (July 21st 2023)

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Wouldn't it make more sense to do a straight up biopic, or is that much too sensitive? I have no idea if these people are even presently alive though. But alas.

Also, while Ryan Gosling does look like Ken, Margot Robbie most definitely does not look like Barbie.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Lol at anyone still thinking this is not a complete chick flick after reading the reviews. It’s basically a girls road to womanhood and a feminism masterpiece based off most reviews. The boys are definitely lined up to see it!

It will have an ok opening weekend then crash shortly after.

Not interested in this one myself. But is the bolded supposed to be a bad thing?

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Nope. A lot of people will love that, but most of them will be females. There was 1-2 people arguing earlier that the movie isnt geared toward females.
Yeah, the argument that a Barbie movie isn't geared towards women is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read on here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If it wasn't clear, I was serious and not exaggerating. :laugh: Here's just the first few sentences of the Wikipedia plot summary:
Stereotypical Barbie and a wide range of fellow Barbies all reside in Barbieland, a matriarchal society where all women are self-confident, self-sufficient, and successful. While their Ken counterparts spend their days engaging in recreational activities at the beach, the Barbies hold all important job positions such as doctors, lawyers, and politicians. Stereotypical Ken, Barbie's boyfriend, is only happy when with Barbie and seeks a closer relationship, but Barbie rebuffs him in favor of independence and female friendships.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If it wasn't clear, I was serious and not exaggerating. :laugh: Here's just the first few sentences of the Wikipedia plot summary:
I want to see this movie, but yikes if that is the plot. I am not sure Hollywood still gets it that to make a strong female character doesn't mean to make men useless, pointless, or powerless. I mean you can be a strong woman and still get married for peat's sake. You don't go the opposite of Super Mario to save the women to make a story about how important women are by themselves, it is just poor writing.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I want to see this movie, but yikes if that is the plot. I am not sure Hollywood still gets it that to make a strong female character doesn't mean to make men useless, pointless, or powerless. I mean you can be a strong woman and still get married for peat's sake. You don't go the opposite of Super Mario to save the women to make a story about how important women are by themselves, it is just poor writing.

Nuance is lost in plot descriptions. From my understanding this is a VERY rough and incomplete summary.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Yeah, but its not so weaponized when you realize that's the history of the toys. You have a whole range of "[insert profession] Barbie" whereas Ken is always just Ken

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It seems like you're not really considering the role of actual Ken dolls. They are pretty useless in the "Barbie" world. She gets all the fancy stuff and fancy jobs and Ken is just Ken. It's not "poor writing" that's the plight of the Ken doll.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems like you're not really considering the role of actual Ken dolls. They are pretty useless in the "Barbie" world. She gets all the fancy stuff and fancy jobs and Ken is just Ken. It's not "poor writing" that's the plight of the Ken doll.
I wouldn't say that Ken is useless. He was created so that girls could have their Barbies fall in love. He gives Barbie a role that none of her professions can, that of being a girlfriend or wife. Girls tend to dream of being whatever they want to be and getting married. If there's not really any romance between Barbie and Ken, as it sounds to be the case in this movie, then he's kind of useless. Also, FWIW, Wikipedia says that he's held over 40 occupations and had a line of clothes and accessories, so he seemingly has been given more attention and personality than most of us realized.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad