Weekes: Barbashev drawing lots of interest: Expected return is 1st or 2nd + prospect

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Barbashev was a key player when the Blues won the cup. His physicality was vital. The Blues manhandled teams with physicality

Reactions: Godfather

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, the guy with 9 career points in 50 playoff games will surely save the team that has 1, 1, and 0 goals in their last three elimination games.

Blues fans are laughing to the bank if they get a 1st round pick back.

There’s more to hockey than scoring.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I can see him getting a good price back. The blues are pretty good at asset management when they don't see themselves making the playoffs.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
How do you value Pickering?

If we do: Barbashev 50% retained + taking on either the Kapanen or Blueger contract straight up for Pickering? Is that close or is Pickering off the table?
Pickering is like our only blue chip prospect.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
St. Louis ending up with three extra 1sts for Tarasenko, ROR and Barbashev would be a very nice haul. Especially in this Draft.

I like Barbashev as a UFA for Carolina next year but I hope they stay far away from those rental prices. I'd much rather have Henrique for 2 Playoffs.
How much Barbashev get in UFA this summer?

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
How much Barbashev get in UFA this summer?
$4-5 million x 4-5 years? If he performs more like his 60 points self and does well in the Playoffs.

If Barbashev has a poor showing then maybe a 1-2 year deal at $3-4 million on a contender? Boost his last contract.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
A 1st for him? lol Okay. Last seasons 60 points was a fluke, he's back to around 40 points a season again.

And he shouldn't sniff a top 6 role in the playoffs. So if a team wants to pay a 1st for a bottom 6 player as a rental, go for it.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Totally off the table for a rental. I’d expect Blueger to be in the deal, but Pickering is an absolute deal breaker.

I’d expect their offer to be something like Blueger, Belliveau and a 2023 2nd for Barbashev. That’s pretty similar to their trade last year of Aston-Reese, Clang and a 2022 2nd for Rakell. I imagine that could be beat by other teams, but the Penguins aren’t really in a position where I think they’d be willing to spend top assets on rentals.
Blueger

Is a csp dump lol

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They aren't directly comparables, but him and Arturi Lehkonen are certainly good indirect comparables (Lehkonen bring a little more skill and lineup versatility, along with actual playoff production at the time of the trade -- Barbashev has more physicality and positionnal versatility), and Lehkonen fetched a 2nd + Justin Barron, who is better than any prospect mentionned in this thread.

I wouldn't expect a return THAT far from Lehkonen's.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They aren't directly comparables, but him and Arturi Lehkonen are certainly good indirect comparables (Lehkonen bring a little more skill and lineup versatility, along with actual playoff production at the time of the trade -- Barbashev has more physicality and positionnal versatility), and Lehkonen fetched a 2nd + Justin Barron, who is better than any prospect mentionned in this thread.

I wouldn't expect a return THAT far from Lehkonen's.

Lehkonen was a pending RFA while Barbashev is a pending UFA. That has a big impact on the value there.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Understood, but he’s mostly been utilized as a physical pest in the playoffs that helps shut down lines instead of a point producer. Those types of players provide much more in the playoffs than what the stats say.
I would not even bother convincing some of these posters on here. They only mostly understand Stat watching and goals.
Same reason why most come out and say Anderson is not worth much when GM's see it differently. Even when our GM came out and said he declined a 1st alone for him.

90% of the time these posters have hardly ever watched a said player play but love to bring up stats. It's all they see and know.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Barbashev is the one UFA I hope the Blues can re-sign and make him a part of the "rebuild".

I'd love to keep Barbashev and Acciari's meanness, but only if the price is right and trade returns aren't. If somebody wants to give up a first rounder, a pair of seconds, or a good prospect, I'm pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Barbashev is exactly the type of player playoff bound teams covet every year. I won't be surprised at all if some team is willing to pay up for him, even if it might be misguided.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
He makes $2 million and has an expiring contract at the end of the year. He's in the same boat as Zach Aston-Reese, who was included in the Rakell trade at the deadline last year.
He is a cap dump. So 2 2nds or a 1st and the cap dump.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Yeah, the guy with 9 career points in 50 playoff games will surely save the team that has 1, 1, and 0 goals in their last three elimination games.

Blues fans are laughing to the bank if they get a 1st round pick back.
you're dang right we will be

If Jets could negotiate an extension I would do a 2nd and Heinola
Literally deal. I"d love heinola. Could see him replacing and upgrading on leddy eventually.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad