Post-Game Talk: Banner raising NOT spoiled! Hawks down Caps, 6-4!

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Marian Hossa ENG 6-4, last 1:35 of game

The awesome anthem.

Got the whole banner ceremony video coming

Last edited:

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Oduya and Hjalmarsson were each +4 last night..looks like those guys are primed for another good season.

I didn't think Hammer looked particularly well last night. I'm not necessarily complaining about it (these things happen) but the redirect on the first PP goal is something he avoids 99% of the time. I also thought he looked pretty sloppy in his own zone and flailed at several pucks he had the opportunity to coral...especially in the first 2 periods.

Hammer played better in the third, but that was not one of his better overall games. Personally I thought Oduya was our best defenseman out there last night and definitely thought he carried that pairing.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Glad to see people have already drawn far reaching conclusions about team and players after one game. The PK faced one of the best PPs in the league and they came up big when it counted. Not worried at all. As already said, it will take a few games for the team to get going, but already the signs were there that they will be a dominant team once again.

I don't see where anyone was assuming last night's play was indicative of what the team will be like the entire season. If one can't comment about the game, both positive and negative, then what's the point to begin with?

As for the PK there is no denying lack of aggression played into Washington's success. The fact that Washington IS a good PP is all the more reason to be frustrated by what we did, or rather what we didn't do. If, and the key word is IF, this team thinks they can succeed by shrinking the box that low and giving a talented PP THAT much room they have another thing coming. It's not like they attempted to be aggressive and got burned, they didn't even try. Not even Lundqvist can block 10-12 foot blasts off quick one-timers. We'll be giving up a lot of goals if we plan on doing that all season.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
On the bright side Zac, Seabrook was probably our best Dman.

:laugh: whats funny is that any longish post by Zac, or any series of posts, I immediately can for Seabrook's name because 9 times out of 10 it will be in there, with Zac criticizing him for something. Kudos for holding back this game Zac

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Just now seeing the banner ceremony. Didn't realize they just added a date plate to the previous President's Trophy banner. Kinda lame, IMO. I know people wanna downplay it's meaning, but with all the other damn banners is another one really that much of a burden?

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Not that it really bothers me, but noticed the old geezer standing with Cornelison during the anthem didn't remove his hat. What a faux pas.

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
Not that it really bothers me, but noticed the old geezer standing with Cornelison during the anthem didn't remove his hat. What a faux pas.

I believe that since he saluted he can leave his hat on. Had he put his hand over his heart he would have needed to remove his hat.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Hey hawks fans,
picked up Saad in my pool and im pretty pumped about how high you guys are on him

Any chance he switches up to the 1st line at some point? maybe in place of Bickell

I would prefer both 29/Saad to play on the 3rd line w/65. To me that would be a dominant/dynamic 3rd line! Hawks would be much more balanced. Hayes was not good- and makes Shaw less of a factor. So put Hayes (or better yet Smith/Morin) on the 1st line were 88/19 can make just about anyone look OK!

Loved last year's Dominant 3rd line. But Hayes can't skate well enough to make Saad/Shaw any better. Yes- Saad scored well- but 2 pts. w/ 26 and PP. Not Hayes!

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I would prefer both 29/Saad to play on the 3rd line w/65. To me that would be a dominant/dynamic 3rd line! Hawks would be much more balanced. Hayes was not good- and makes Shaw less of a factor. So put Hayes (or better yet Smith/Morin) on the 1st line were 88/19 can make just about anyone look OK!

Loved last year's Dominant 3rd line. But Hayes can't skate well enough to make Saad/Shaw any better. Yes- Saad scored well- but 2 pts. w/ 26 and PP. Not Hayes!

Okay, we get it: you don’t like Pirri; you don’t like Hayes … there’s no need to look for things wrong with their performances that simply aren’t there. Hayes game wasn’t bad in the opener. He showed signs of using his big body better and he's certainly improved his skating .... Shaw played well. In fact, really well, considering his lack of ice time in pre-season.

It’s easy to forget that players like Hossa, Handzus and Shaw have all missed valuable conditioning time in September, hence are not back to game shape, not even close. This team will get much better than what we witnessed Tuesday.

As for Saad: I still think, depending on the ops, Q will rotate him with Bickell on the first line. It was nice to see Saad rewarded with a nice goal and assist in his first game after struggling to get on the scoreboard last season (despite his fine play).

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
Just now seeing the banner ceremony. Didn't realize they just added a date plate to the previous President's Trophy banner. Kinda lame, IMO. I know people wanna downplay it's meaning, but with all the other damn banners is another one really that much of a burden?

Need the space for all the Stanley Cup banners they have coming !!!! :naughty:

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Okay, we get it: you don’t like Pirri; you don’t like Hayes … there’s no need to look for things wrong with their performances that simply aren’t there. Hayes game wasn’t bad in the opener. He showed signs of using his big body better and he's certainly improved his skating .... Shaw played well. In fact, really well, considering his lack of ice time in pre-season.

It’s easy to forget that players like Hossa, Handzus and Shaw have all missed valuable conditioning time in September, hence are not back to game shape, not even close. This team will get much better than what we witnessed Tuesday.

As for Saad: I still think, depending on the ops, Q will rotate him with Bickell on the first line. It was nice to see Saad rewarded with a nice goal and assist in his first game after struggling to get on the scoreboard last season (despite his fine play).

ok, did you seriously just call the kettle black here? I mean I could easily post:

We get it: you don't like Kruger...there is no need to look for things wrong with his performance that simply aren't there.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ At the risk of opening up another can of worms:

I don’t mind Kruger (at this time) as long he continues in the role he has been in. Please no talk of him playing 2nd line center or anywhere near the top 9 on Hawks. Kruger still falls a lot and is far from the ideal 4th liner but we could do worse. Personally, I’d trade him the moment Danault looks ready for the NHL. Sorry if you don’t agree.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

Why is most everyone raving about Hayes improved skating? He looks a step faster (in a straight line) , but still is awkward in transition, agility, and changing directions.
If he has improved in those areas (which i really don't see) he is still average as a skater- period. Still can be effective- hands are above average- but I think 1st or 4th line would be better.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I must admit, I’m not totally sold on Hayes either, but, like Bickell before him, the team needs to be patient with his development. It shows that he has worked hard on his game and he’ll never be a graceful skater, many big men aren’t but big men with soft hands are relatively rare. I think as he gains more confidence, he will be a valuable asset one day. (I can see him become a helluva garbage man, if Hawks stick with him)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
/\ At the risk of opening up another can of worms:

I don’t mind Kruger (at this time) as long he continues in the role he has been in. Please no talk of him playing 2nd line center or anywhere near the top 9 on Hawks. Kruger still falls a lot and is far from the ideal 4th liner but we could do worse. Personally, I’d trade him the moment Danault looks ready for the NHL. Sorry if you don’t agree.

OK, then please no talk about Pirri playing 2nd line C.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Arguments about Bollig and Kruger's faceoffs.

This board is already in midseason form. Bravo, friends.

Yep, mid-season form.

Just like the Hawks, we came in in great shape and hungry to do it all again!

:laugh:

:cry:

At least the grace period lasted through the ceremony.
I can't even fathom what it would be like if we weren't the premier organization of the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad