Post-Game Talk: Banner raising NOT spoiled! Hawks down Caps, 6-4!

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we shouldn't forget that we played a PO Team with arguable the best player in the league after Crosby...

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Glad to see people have already drawn far reaching conclusions about team and players after one game.

Well, Toews is off to another slow start. Gotta expect more from your captain.

And Crawford's 4.00 gaa is way too high. Can't win with that.

:laugh:

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
we shouldn't forget that we played a PO Team with arguable the best player in the league after Crosby...

Meh. I've lived in the DC area for a long time now. Caps are always the same. Good offense, very good PP, and the rest stinks, esp. defense and goaltending. That's why they never go anywhere in the playoffs. Interested to see how they do in a real division for a change.

Still, it was a good win for the boys. Most teams apparently don't win on the night of their banner-raising.

I also liked the celebration, not too over-the-top.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
first, congrats on the win and little ot question but how was duncan keith's skating back when he was drafted? just interested but can't recall the reports.

IIRC, it was the same way. In those clutch and grab days, it was questioned if he could play D and might be switched to a F.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Not concerned about Nordstrom or the PK at all. They'll get ironed out within a few weeks.

Perhaps not, but he has some big shoes to fill. As I said all last season, it was Frolik’s aggressive PK style, and his ability to choose the right times to be aggressive, that made it so successful. I like Nordstrom, from what I’ve seen, but he needs that same aggression. Hopefully that will come as he settles in. As for Kruger, the supposed great PK guy … oh, never mind. That could be the best PP in the NHL we faced in our first game of the season.

2 points is 2 points… but Q will not be overly excited about the loose play.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I was too, I thought most of our "kids" played well. Just like in '10 (granted this was one game and that was an entire season) I thought it was our vets that were the problem tonight. Bickell, Hammer, and Hossa were off all night and the defense in general gave up way too many opporunities. As a team our sticks in the defensive zone where awful (how many times did we fail to corral pucks?) and we missed quite a few passes.

The forecheck, especially in offensive transition, was very good for most of the game. Saad was an absolute beast and I really liked how the 3rd and 4th lines played as a whole (outside Shaw who was very meh). I think if you're the coaches and the fans you have to love how well the younger guys played. They'll be the least of our problems as the season moves on.

I agree about Shaw. 65 needs to play with guys who can skate! 65 relies on skating/hustle/IQ. Hayes will NOT be effective w 65.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
baDA5J7.gif

Bollig scores the first Hawk goal with his awesome Kane like YouTube famous skills. Is 82 goals out of the question for him and Oduya? I don't know. ;)

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Fun game, good win. Its too early to have any real concerns right now, we got scoring from all 4 lines, our young players looked good. I don't think anyone really had a "bad" game.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Saad was a beast. The PK needs some work, but I am confident it'll all get ironed out. Nordstrom wasn't the reason that we let in 3 PP goals. The whole PK was terribly off.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Great game last night and loved the outcome.

The wristbands were a nice touch. They controlled them and as you could probably tell, choreographed some cool stuff. They also started going off right before the period. Mine only lasted until Damon, then it switched off.

helicon1

Jan 4, 2010
Skimmed through the thread but didn't see much mention of Leddy who I thought was one of the more interesting Hawks last night. He had a horrible turnover in the first I think, and he and Rozsival got pinned in a few times during the Cap's push in the second, but there was plenty of good too. He led some great breakouts and had a couple of awesome chances from the slot in that last period. He looked so much more confident and aggressive than in the past. Whenever he's in attack mode good things happen, so I hope this game is a sign of things to come.

Defensively too. He was a bit off positionally, but so was everybody else aside from 4/27. That'll work itself out, but to me he just looked stronger. I don't think it's that surprising as he's seemed a solidly built guy, but still very encouraging. And did I imagine him neutralizing Ovechkin in a one-on-one battle and putting him on his ass at one point? Cause that was the highlight of the game for me. I'm just not sure that it actually was him now as I only say it once in real time.

Oh, and Bollig was great too. Feel totally vindicated for defending him.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
And did I imagine him neutralizing Ovechkin in a one-on-one battle and putting him on his ass at one point? Cause that was the highlight of the game for me. I'm just not sure that it actually was him now as I only say it once in real time.

You're remembering correctly - that was Leddy.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah I think his stats from the last two years are a bit more informative than this one game at home. C'mon you're more "sensible" than that. :shakehead

But the reference to this one particular game, in this one particular thread dedicated to said game, is correct. You said they were effective in spite of some things, but one of those spites was in fact not one, which is all he pointed out. Nothing more, nothing less.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah I think his stats from the last two years are a bit more informative than this one game at home. C'mon you're more "sensible" than that. :shakehead

Um, what does the past two years have to do with what happened in the game, last night? What's that? Nothing? You don't say.

You said, the 4th line was effective, despite consisting of a centre that can't win faceoffs, an enforcer and a rookie.

Last night, the centre was winning most of his faceoffs. Your statement was completely wrong, in the context of what happened in the game, and citing stats from the past two years doesn't make it right.

Clearly, I am more "sensible" than that. Good day sir.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yeah, a center who can't win faceoffs is still a center who can't win faceoffs until a larger sample of him winning faceoffs becomes available. Don't be dense, HTB.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, a center who can't win faceoffs is still a center who can't win faceoffs until a larger sample of him winning faceoffs becomes available. Don't be dense, HTB.

Reading comprehension is not this boards friend.

"The 4th line was effective (last night) despite consisting of, a centre who can't win faceoffs".

You can't make a statement about the game last night, in which said centre was winning the majority of his faceoffs, and then bring up stats from 2 years prior that have no relevance to the game in question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad